Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

She Wasn't Alone by Soulful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
This is the last chapter in this story, sorry it took so long. Many thanks to Ashley my awesome beta for helping me. Enjoy!



July came particularly fast for Severus; he was spending time at the Snape Estate in Rome. This was usually his least favorite place to visit but he remembered that Hermione once said she loved Rome. He stood in the doorway of the balcony and looked over the perfect view of the city. The mansion was nestled on a hill about a five minute walking distance from the center of the city. He could see the Coliseum, a medieval bell tower, and a famous Renaissance palace. He knew Hermione would love it.

He walked over to a white rot iron chair and sat down on it. He had to stop thinking of her, but that was easier said then done. He sighed to himself and covered his eyes with one hand, the sun was bearable today but he felt a headache coming on. Thousands of memories flooded his brain, images long forgotten.

The first was the five year old Severus hiding in his room while drunken shouts came from the other side of his bedroom door. Then there were memories of his school years, not the most pleasant time of his life, various images of James Potter and Sirius Black taunting, teasing, and ridiculing him.

There was a dark room, filled with cloaked figures standing around a man on a chair that looked more like a throne. A sudden burning sensation being impressed on his forearm. A wizard duel, streams of blue, green, red erupting from wands, just passing his head.

In the distance he heard the bell tower start to ring. He removed his hand and peered over the city. He knew he had been an idiot, and he knew that he hurt her. He also knew he couldn’t wait until August to see her.

He slowly stood and Apparated to a block away from her parents house. Not sure what he was going to do or say, he slowly started walking down the street.



“Defense against the Dark Arts! Brilliant!” Harry said excitedly. They were all at Hermione’s house for a change. Ron and Harry had just come back from something with their Auror training. The three of them sat in the living room drinking the butterbeers Harry had brought with.

“I can’t imagine the look on old Snape’s face when he heard that you were the one to take the position he always wanted!” Ron said not bothering to hide his feelings toward their old professor.

“I actually didn’t see him when I was there.” Hermione lied flat out.

“Really? Well that’s not surprising seeing as he barely ever leaves the dark, cold dungeons.” Harry said grinning.

“Honestly, and people wonder why he’s so pale. I don’t know the last time he’s seen sunlight -- a decade or so.” Ron exaggerated.

“Oh come on Ron, stop being so dramatic.” Hermione said defending Severus. She was still annoyed with him but she didn’t like that Ron and Harry were bad-mouthing him.

“I’m not being dramatic! I’m telling it like it is! No one likes him, except for maybe Malfoy but that does NOT count.” He said harshly. “And why are you defending him Hermione?”

Harry just watched and listened. He didn’t dare comment on this subject.

“For your information Ronald me telling you to stop being dramatic is not defending him.” Hermione said hotly.

“It sounded like you were defending him to me, what do you think Harry.” Ron said trying to drag Harry into this head on.

“I think that I’m staying out of this conversation.” Harry said sipping his butterbeer. “So Quidditch World Cup this August?” He said desperately trying to change the subject.

“Thank you Harry.” Hermione said giving Ron a stare that could kill. “I’m not sure if I can go.”

“You have to! It wouldn’t be the same without you! Plus we get really good seats with work!” Ron said, acting like the feud never happened.

“I honestly don’t know if I can because of,” Hermione was cut of by the doorbell. “I’ll get it.” She said sighing.

She walked out the room and to the front door, expecting it to be a neighbor or friend of the family she opened the door with a smile on her face. And there was Severus standing in the threshold. Hermione stopped dead and just stared at him, after a moment of keeping each other’s gaze she stepped out onto the porch with him. She didn’t need Ron (or Harry for that matter) hearing this.

“Can I help you Severus?” She asked politely. If he thought she’d go crazy, and fall into his arms he was wrong.

“I couldn’t wait till August, Hermione.” He said truthfully. He put a hand on her arm but she shook it off. “Listen I know you’re still upset over the way I acted but I’m so sorry.”

“I know you’re sorry but I don’t know if I can forgive you, Severus.” Hermione said looking to her left so she wouldn’t have to look him in the eyes. “You really hurt me.”

“I know I did and again I’m sorry.” He said softly. “I just wanted you to know that. I’m sorry for everything I did that ever hurt you -- every comment in class, every bad mark, every time you were willing to give me your heart and pushed you away. I’m sorry.” He said and gave a small sigh. He then turned and walked off the porch and down the sidewalk.

Hermione jumped off the porch and ran to catch up with him. She stopped him and looked up into his eyes. “I forgive you, Severus.” She said quietly. They tightly embraced and shared a soft kiss.

Severus pulled away and grinned at her. “I love you Hermione.” He said truthfully.

Hermione grinned, “I love you too, Severus.”

-Fin-