Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Crossing Over by running_swift

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N:Hello! Once again I present you with Crossing Over! Have fun!

Disclaimer: Everything except plot belongs to JKR (as per usual)




Previously on Crossing Over

“I swear, Malfoy, I will kill him. Then you’ll feel the pain of losing a parent. Then you’ll know at least half of what I’m going through!”

Silence. Again. His eyes darted everywhere but mine. His smirk faded; in its place was hurt, and an odd state of serenity. Then, in barely more than a whisper, I heard the words:

“I do.”

I paused.

“You do?”

“I do.”



Chapter 3

He wasn’t supposed to. I hadn’t quite believed yet that Draco Malfoy knew what it felt like to have lost a parent. I stood there in rigid shock, my eyes disbelieving and blank, staring into those hard-set orbs. I suddenly felt my eyes soften, and the hatred and anger I had felt towards him subsided.

“I’m sorry,” I finally said. “I didn’t know.”

“Too right you didn’t.” His eyes were locked emotionlessly onto the space to the right of me. I didn’t know why, but I was feeling sorry for him; he, who never seemed to have known what the love of a parent was like; what the love of a father was like.

“Do you know who killed him?”

“Her, Granger. It was my mother who… I just hope she’s out there smiling down at me, up at me, whatever.” He smiled. “I knew how proud of me she was. I knew how scared for me she was. And I just ignored her. I just… She was my everything, you know?”

He swallowed. Who would have thought that Draco Malfoy could radiate such positive feelings?

“And now… what else do I have to live for? To torment Potter? To make Weasley feel inferior? To get you worked up over nothing?”

“Hey! I’m right here!”

“Isn’t life supposed to treat everyone fairly,” he carried on, ignoring my interruption, “even the people who don’t live life fairly?” It was those eyes again. I was just lost in them. Such was the feeling emanating from them that I just couldn’t resist. My hand crept up thin air to touch the side of his face, to feed off the emotion in his eyes.

Instantly he recoiled. I hadn’t expected him to stay at peace for long.

“Get off me, Mudblood.”

I let my hand fall to my side. It looked like he was about to go, and I couldn’t have that. It felt like a part of me wanted to get to know him, to comfort him. I turned away, letting the tears that had been threatening to fall a long time ago finish what they had started.

I didn’t know what to think of Draco Malfoy anymore. Was he the same, incomprehensible, foul-mouthed boy who walked around like he owned the place, taking every striking opportunity to insult others? I had to sit down. Thoughts and unfathomable feelings rushed through my head. Steadying myself on the coffee table next to the sofa, I sank onto the welcoming folds of the lilac piece of furniture. A long, gasping sigh escaped my lips, and I brought my knees up to my body.

“Come in, if you really want to. It’s not much… but it’s my home now.”

He hesitated. Just the thought of being near someone like me should have been too much for him. I guess he really does have a heart somewhere down there; otherwise he wouldn’t have come to sit opposite me. The action made me so shocked that the tears once again flowed freely, sliding their paths down my cheeks.

“You’re so weak. You shouldn’t cry all the time. Yeah, they’re gone, but…”

“It’s not that,” I said, shaking my head. “Harry and Ron… they… they…” I trailed off. It was too hard to talk about. How could you tell someone who was supposedly your worst enemy that your best friends couldn’t understand you?

“They what?” He was so straight to the point. Could he not at least let it drag out a bit, let me cry some more?

“Didn’t understand what I am going through. All they wanted to know was why I hadn’t told them; why I hid it from them. It’s like the only thing they cared about was knowing why; not how I was, not how I was coping. They… I don’t think they really care about me…”

“Things happen, Granger. Get over it.”

My watery eyes shot to him.

“Oh, come off it. You mean to tell me that you never thought, ‘how long can we keep it up’? The Golden Trio has to end one day.”

“No, Malfoy, I didn’t. For your information, this is the first time something like this has happened.”

He scoffed. “First time? Is it temporary memory loss you’re suffering from, or did the whole school not know the dilemma you and Weasley so openly flaunted?”

Colour raced to my cheeks. I hadn’t forgotten about that. Yes, Ron was being a complete and utter prat last year but… boys do that… right? I hoped they did; the only thing all boys did not do was smirk continuously, which was exactly what I was getting from his oh-so-gracious majesty at the moment. It was quite amusing really, and I couldn’t help but smile.

“Smiling, Granger? Because of me? I’m honoured,” he said, smirking, if possible, even more. I thought I was going crazy; Draco Malfoy, being civil? To me, no less. The world was ending!

“Tell me Malfoy, what’s it like to be evil?” It was such a random question that it took even me by surprise, knowing that it had come out of my own mouth. “I mean, you must feel something when you’re doing… evil things. Like… when you knew… P-Pr-Professor D-D-Dumbledore… he…” It was an overwhelming feeling. It was barely a month ago that Dumbledore had passed away, and yet the sad feeling that I got whenever he was mentioned was still there.

“I-I-I’m… I’m sorry…” It was his turn to stutter. I had just realised it, but here I was, in the presence of the one who had essentially laid the building blocks for the death of our former Headmaster, and I found that I didn’t mind.

“It’s all right…” I sniffed, “it’s not like it can be changed now, is it? If I didn’t feel so absolutely awful at the moment, I don’t think you’d be here.”

He managed a weak smile. At least I could make someone smile, if not myself. Behind my tears was happiness, for some reason or another.

“You didn’t answer the question…”

He sighed. “No, I didn’t.”

It looked like he was preparing himself for the worst, by the grimace he made.

“Being evil is like being forced to take a part of yourself away from what you already know. It’s one of the worst feelings you could experience, but at the same time, I guess it’s one of the best. Just that feeling of power… it’s great. You feel like you’re on top of the world, like you’re flying, like you’re free; even though you’re being, so to say, controlled. Please, Granger, stop giving me that look.”

“Hey, I’m not the one who looks like a little boy describing his favourite toy.”

“Do not.”

“Do to.”

“Do not.”

“Shut up. You did. Carry on.”



A/N: Hi again! How did you find that? This was originally one chapter but I decided that it was too long, so I split it, which is kinda why the ending is a bit weird, coz I couldn't find somewhere really suitable to split it..... Anyway please do review!