Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Crossing Over by running_swift

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Hi all! Hope you enjoyed a peaceful and most probably well-deserved break! Please read the A/N at the bottom!



Previously on Crossing Over


“Lucius Malfoy is scum, Malfoy! Get it through that brain of yours! He thinks about nothing but himself “ I doubt he even cares you’re his son!” He flinched. It had seemed to hit him harder than I originally thought.

“You don’t mean that,” he mumbled, shaking quite visibly.

“Yes, Malfoy, I do. How about we call your dear father now, and ask him in person?” I raised my voice to Voldemort’s hearing, since he was behind me. “What do you think, Riddle?” His hand tightened around my neck at the mention of his father “ I rather enjoyed the feeling of having this power, even though it was only small, over Voldemort, just by saying a name.

“Very well, Miss Granger.” His icy breath froze my ear as he whispered, “I would rather you didn’t be rid of him just yet,” so that Malfoy wouldn’t hear. The cold feeling spread to my neck, and into his fingers; it seemed as if he was using something on his arm to call Malfoy Sr. to his side.

My assumptions were soon confirmed. A dark figure had Apparated into the room, right in front of me; its grey eyes glanced at me before turning their attention to their owner’s master.

“Welcome, Lucius.”



Chapter 6

“You called, my Lord?” How ever confused he may have been, he didn’t show it; even I, the all-knowing Hermione Granger, would be confused if I had just Apparated into the apartment of someone I supposedly hated. “Draco, why are you on the floor to your master? Respect, my dear boy, is something I taught you a long time ago.”

“Y-Yes… father.” He gingerly picked himself up off the floor, and stood next to his father, who towered over him. They looked identical, nearly; the only difference being their height and their eyes. Although the same colour, Lucius held no warmth or life in his, yet Draco’s were somewhat warm and cold at the same time.

“Lucius, how pleasant of you to drop by,” said Voldemort, still holding onto my neck; I didn’t really mind, even though his touch was like jumping into the lake in the grounds of Hogwarts.

“Anything for you, my Lord,” he monotonously answered, bowing as low as he possibly could without touching any more of my property; pretty difficult, seeing as how he was breathing the same contaminated air that I was. “May I ask why you summoned me here?”

“Lucius, my faithful servant, what is the most important thing to you in life?”

“To serve you, my Lord, of course,” he said, rising to meet my anything-but-nice gaze.

“Nothing else matters to you, correct?” I stared defiantly back at him, as coldly as I could. I couldn’t let him think that I was scared of him. In truth, I was slightly scared “ scared that he would do that same to me as I thought he had done to my parents.

“That is correct, my Lord. I will do nothing in my life except serve you. I care for nothing else!” My eyes widened in surprise. I was right after all. I just didn’t expect him to admit it. Draco’s face looked somewhat like mine “ surprised, but also angry. Despite this, I could feel a smirk forming on my face.

“Hate to admit I’m right, don’t you?” I whispered. Again, it felt like I had power over him, even though he was supposedly my superior. Whatever this feeling was, I liked it. I liked that my word had almost Draco Malfoy close to crying.

“Yes, I really do.” His eyes roamed mine, then his father’s, who showed no emotion except pride. Snapping his head towards mine, he mouthed Do it. My hand tightened around my wand, and how I wish I could have taken the order from Draco. If only Voldemort wasn’t behind me, watching my every move.

“Miss Granger, remember what I said before. Disobey me and there will be consequences. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Tom,” I seethed, ignoring Lucius’s wide eyes at my use of his master’s name, “I understand perfectly. It would be such a shame for you to lose someone like that, wouldn’t it?” Sarcasm dripped off my mouth, and I could see Draco agreeing with me. I was surprised he hadn’t said anything to his father yet. “Obviously you don’t want that to happen so I suggest you do something about it before I do.”

“If I really must, Miss Granger. Lucius, leave; I will deal with this alone.” The aforementioned man, although looking thoroughly confused, inclined his head slightly towards Voldemort, then Disapparated from the room. “It appears that you both hold hatred for Lucius. Am I correct, Draco?”

“That does seem to be the case,” I interrupted.

“I believe I was asking Draco, Miss Granger,” he smirked, the grip on my neck tightening. He looked at Draco, his chin almost resting on my shoulder. Cold breath numbed my ear, and I shivered involuntarily.

“She… is right, my Lord.” He still seemed too shocked to speak, showing me how different he was compared to Harry and Ron. The latter two, Ron especially, would have immediately launched into an angry tirade, detailing how unfair the treatment that they had received was. I guess I was expecting Draco to do what Harry and Ron would have done… Although that would have meant admitting that he had a nicer side, and he certainly didn’t show it to me, being a Death Eater and all.

“By Salazar, Draco. Admitting the Mudblood was right?” I squirmed under him, trying to get free. I wondered why I hadn’t tried before… temporary memory loss, I expect.

“Bloody hell, Voldemort! Let me go already!” The cold had been spreading through my body like poison, and there was no sign of it disappearing any time soon.

“How lovely the begging sound of a Mudblood is! Do cry more, Miss Granger. It shall only be music to my ears unless you agree to my most generous offer.”

“An offer, Voldemort? You want me, Hermione Granger, to work with you, Tom Riddle? I think not!” What was he playing at “ changing the world?

“Of course, Miss Granger, I wouldn’t think so. But surely you wouldn’t want your intelligence to go to waste in that Gryffindor dump? Think of all the things you could do if you acted like a Slytherin, my dear: roam the castle like the leader you are, and show everyone that you are better than them, because you are. There are better things in life than being told what to do all the time, Miss Granger. I do believe that your idea of killing Lucius was the first of yours which tended to your own needs, rather than anyone else’s.”

“You’re wrong! I’m doing it for my parents!”

“But what good is that if your parents are not here to see you take revenge for their deaths?”

“I’m not doing it for myself! I’m doing it for my parents!” I shouted.

“Yes, Hermione, you’re doing it for your parents.” I didn’t like the way he called me Hermione. Not one bit. It was like Harry calling Malfoy by his first name “ as if that would ever happen. I knew what I was saying was untrue, but the Hermione Granger who used to be afraid of Voldemort’s name would never have wanted to kill someone for her own sake. Indeed, that Hermione Granger inside of me was now telling me that I was being extremely hypocritical “ I had said before that no living human could kill for no reason. But I had a reason “ a very good one too. So yes… I was doing it for myself. All I wanted was to see Lucius Malfoy dead, preferably by my hands. “You see, Miss Granger. I’m right. I’m always right.”

“Fine. I’m doing it for myself. So what? Big deal!” It was then that I realised my mistake. My muscles tensed “ there was no way I could get out of this ‘offer’ “ whatever it was “ that Voldemort was about to make.

“Good, Miss Granger. I have said before, a mind like yours would do well with Slytherin traits. I want to give you an opportunity to be the first to try that out.”

“What makes you think that I will agree to something like that?”

“Oh, my dear, working with Slytherins all the time means being closer to those Slytherins all the time… and I’m sure that there are certain Slytherins you would just love to become more… acquainted with,” he said slyly. It took me a while to fully understand his words. His plan was perfect, and it held no flaws. I could do what I wanted, to whoever I wanted.

“I know what you’re trying to do, and it won’t work!” I thought about the consequences that joining the Death Eaters would have. Joining the Death Eaters? Now there was a terrible thought. I had ever thought about this offer as a chance to join the Death Eaters. “I will never join the Death Eaters!”

He laughed a high, cruel, laugh. “Whoever said anything about joining the Death Eaters? Death Eaters are supposed to be faithful, and do what they are told, unlike young Malfoy here.” His eyes flickered to the blonde-haired Slytherin standing in front of me. “Yes, Draco, I know you didn’t fulfil the task I set, and I’d be more than happy to make you pay for that.” He raised his wand.

“NO!” I screamed. I couldn’t let him kill Draco, whose eyes were wide with fear “ he looked so scared. “Don’t do it! Please, Tom, don’t!”

“Ah. The sweet sounds come to soothe me yet again.” My neck now felt like it was going to burst; the grip with which he was holding it was so strong, I thought that I wouldn’t be able to breathe. “Go to your beloved Draco my dear,” he snarled, and roughly shoved me towards him. I fell, weak, into his arms, thankful for his warmth; it was hard for me not to shiver from the immense cold I felt. Gulping down large amounts of warm air, I turned to face Voldemort, and shook my head at him. “No? Are you sure? You’d do great, you know. I know you’d do great. Draco here would welcome you, wouldn’t you, Draco?” Draco said nothing. I looked up. His eyes were locked on the wand still pointing at him, terrified that it would be used to unleash an abominable curse. “Wouldn’t you, Draco?” he repeated with more menace. His mouth started to open, undoubtedly to release a curse. I panicked, and did the first thing that came to mind “ I stood in front of Draco.

“Don’t! I’ll… I’ll think about it, but only if you promise not to hurt Dr… Malfoy,” I quickly corrected myself. I could feel Draco’s eyes on me, confused as to why I, Hermione Granger was defending him, Draco Malfoy, against his master, Lord Voldemort. The latter’s mouth twisted into a gruesome sneer, and his arm lowered.

“Good, Miss Granger. You will learn that bargaining is the beginning of a route to great success. Now, if you will excuse me, I have some important things to attend to.” He flicked his wand, then Disapparated. My whole body relaxed, and I couldn’t help but feel a tear balance precariously on my bottom eyelid.

“Granger.” His voice was hoarse, filled with confusion and sadness. I turned around to meet his gaze, and shook my head. It was just unfathomable. Here I was, standing at close proximity to Draco Malfoy, and Voldemort had just Disapparated from my apartment. I fell on my knees, shaking uncontrollably.

“Why me?” My voice cracked as the tears began to fall.

“I don’t know. Who knows how his mind works?” he replied. He crouched down, his eyes meeting mine. “All I know is… you saved me.” A hand started to lift my chin up, its thumb wiping away tears. I closed my eyes, nestling my face into his touch.

“It’s not for me… Harry and Ron, they”” I stopped when his lips captured mine in a short kiss. Something inside of me leapt into my throat, both happiness and sadness overcoming every emotion held inside my body. He pulled away slowly, and I opened my eyes in time to see him moving away from me. At the door, he stopped.

“Think about it,” he had said, before disappearing, “just think about it.”



A/N: I’ve had the most trouble writing this chapter; it’s taken me just over half a month, so I’m very very sorry if it’s not up to scratch!