Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Abracadabra by DrTaylor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hallowe'en is always busy when you're Harry Potter, and this one is no different. A rude awakening, the capture of Severus Snape, and a clue to the next Horcrux await.

Can't I just pretend to own it for a minute or so?



On Halloween, however, Harry wished he could just go back to the way things had been. His day began earlier than he would have liked when Ron had an idea.


“Harry, I've just had the best idea ever! We can keep the Quidditch teams going after all, if we just form two teams out of who we have here instead of the four we're used to!”


“Fine,” said Harry, “but can I sleep now?”


He was tired. He'd been up reading half the night. Ron, however, ignored this. “We'll need members. Can I count on you?”


“Sure.” Shielding techniques. It had been shielding techniques. Boring enough to put anyone's brain in a permanent shutdown. And Harry had no desire to get up after only the four hours of sleep he had gotten.


“Hey, Harry,” said Ron, “can you help me get some new members? We can't have the same team as last year, of course, but...”


Harry got up and headed down the stairs to the Common Room, where he had the displeasure of running into Dean Thomas. Dean had hardly spoken to Harry since their return, and Harry was glad “ less fighting had to be a good thing. Before Dean could do more than glare, Harry ducked through the portrait hole.


He climbed stairs at random, thinking he might go up to the Room of Requirement and try to sleep longer when he passed Professor McGonagall hurrying down a corridor.


“Oh, Mr. Potter!” she cried, “I was hoping to find you. Come with me.”


Clad in only his pajamas, Harry followed.


“The guard has spotted what they think might be Severus Snape entering his home,” McGonagall told him as they turned a corner.


“What?” asked Harry, flabergasted. Snape. This was a good day.


“We know he hasn't returned to Voldemort since...since he left the castle,” McGonagall told Harry. “Just a few minutes ago, a cloaked figure was seen entering his home by one of the spies we placed there. The Order is going to have a look, and that includes you, Mr. Weasley, and Miss Granger.”


Harry nodded. “I'll run upstairs and change, Professor. Give me five minutes?” She nodded, and Harry ran.


~~~~


When he reached the dormitory, Ron was drafting copies of a notice for Quidditch Club tryouts. “Ron!” yelled Harry, “Snape's been spotted! Get Hermione and let's go!” Ron abandoned his posters and ran out of the room. Harry dressed quickly and followed him. They met Hermione in the Common Room and together they raced to the Entrance Hall.


When they arrived, they found most of the Order waiting for them.


“Very well,” Professor McGonagall said when they arrived, “Now that you're all here, this is how we are going to do this. We're going to reduct our way into the house, wearing anti-charm clothing” “ she gestured to the rack of Shield Hats and Cloaks in the corner - “and we are going to stun anything that moves. We'll make sure to sort it all out later.”


Harry nodded along with everyone else. Professor McGonagall produced an old teapot from her robes, and everyone touched a finger to it. A yank behind the navel carried them away.


~~~~


They landed on a street. It was still dark, and a cold wind was blowing. McGonagall indicated a dark, dreary-looking old house on a nearby corner and said, “Harry, Ron, Hermione, Remus, and Tonks back there please. I'll send up green sparks “ blast in and stun anything that moves.”


They nodded to show their understanding, then sneaked around to the back of the house, keeping clear of the windows. They stood by the door, waiting, until the green sparks appeared and then -


“REDUCTO!!!!!”


All four shouted it “ the door blasted away and they entered the house.


All was dark and dank. Harry could see only faintly, but didn't want to give away his location by lighting his wand. He crouched in the entryway to the next room, looking for a sign of movement, trying to open his mind as he had been practicing..


Stupefy! He heard in his mind and he ducked an instant before the jet of red light would have hit him. All the practical study hadn't hurt him at all “ he instinctively and silently cast a shield, then a disarming spell, and then whispered “Stupefy!” - he couldn't quite do the Stunning Spell silently yet.


The first spell missed, but the second one hit it's target, and a second later he heard a thud from someone collapsing to the floor.


In a nearby room, he heard the voice of McGonagall yelling, “That's it!” and then Remus Lupin lighted his wand.


The figure on the floor came into view. He was a tall man, with greasy hair and a hooked nose “ Severus Snape.


~~~~


As if the capture of Snape wasn't enough, upon their return to Hogwarts he was met by Susan Bones.


“Harry,” she said without preamble, “you know how you're always telling us in the DA to tell you if we ever think we see something in Voldemort's plans? Well, I think I've noticed something.”


Harry, had, indeed, been telling the DA to do exactly that. However, right then what he really wanted was some breakfast. “What's up?” he asked her.


“I have sort of an inkling what he's doing,” said Susan, “but I couldn't tell you why.”


“What is it?” Harry asked, pulling her into the empty Great Hall and sitting down.


“Well,” said Susan, “You know my family stretches back to Helga Hufflepuff? It's always been kind of fascinating to me, and, genealogy is kind of my hobby. Anyway, I was reading through an old book about the legacies of the founders of Hogwarts, and it mentioned a cup passed down Helga Hufflepuff's family line. I guess the closest family member to Helga gets the cup “ not that anyone's that close any more, but still “ and they can activate a spell to obtain the cup for themselves at any time.”


Harry immediately knew that this was the right track.


“That's not even the weird part,” continued Susan. “Most old families have herilooms with something like that attached to them “ it was kind of a fad for a while. The weird part is that lately, the members of my family who have access to the spell always seem to get killed.”


“Killed?”


“Yes. My parents are next, and then me.”


“Madam Bones...she was your aunt, right?”


“And there was an older brother who was killed with his whole family during the first war. And Dad always said he was nutty for old spells “ he worked for Gringotts as a treasure hunter.”


Harry thought very rapidly. “Come with me. Now.” He ran upstairs to McGonagall's office. She was just outside.


“Professor! You have to get Susan's parents here, now. They are in danger.” When McGonagall hesitated, Harry looked right into her eyes. “Do it! I can explain, but not until it's done.”


“Return to your dormitories,” McGonagall said. For a moment, Harry panicked, and then she continued, “I will come for you when I'm done.” She swept off toward the stairs.


“Thank you,” said Susan.


“No problem. When you can, will you ask if your dad will meet with me?”


“Of course. I'd better go “ she wont' be able to find me if I'm not in my common room.” Susan ran off.


Harry decided to skip breakfast and head back to bed.


~~~~


The feast was a typical gathering for Hogwarts, if somewhat smaller than normal. And the addition of Mr. And Mrs. Bones “ who, it was announced, would be staying at the castle indefinitely, was the main subject of gossip.


Although the food was excellent, Harry's mind kept wandering to that afternoon.


He and Ginny had been playing chess when McGonagall arrived in the Common Room. She pulled Harry aside.


“Mr. and Mrs. Bones are here. Why?”


“They can get the cup I've been looking for,” Harry told her. “Voldemort's killed everyone who can get it eventually “ probably because they kept getting it from him, so he killed them to take it back. They're next in line.”


“Will you tell me why you need it?”


“Just that Voldemort has a “ a weakness to it.”


“That will do for now. Now, about Snape -”


“What now?”


“He has been awakened, and given Veritaserum. However, when we tried to question him, it was obvious that he has created and taken an antidote. Professor Sinistra has declined to examine him with Legilimency, but I was wondering if you felt comfortable.”


“Not yet.” Harry wasn't sure he could ever do that with Snape.


“Very well, we will hold him for now. I shall see you tonight, Mr. Potter.” She nodded to Harry and Ginny, then left.


~~~~


At the feast, Harry was introduced to Mr. and Mrs. Bones. Mr. Bones told Harry he was unaware of anything to do with the cup, but he promised to look into it.


That night, Harry lay in bed, finally able to sleep without worrying he was getting nothing done. It was nice to be able to rest.