Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Confessions of Professor and Pupil by Renee Lepic

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Summary: James Potter returns to Hogwarts School, this time as a teacher, and meets Lily Evans, brilliant and full of life. He falls for her and romance, comedy, and drama follow.


Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, anything from the brilliant mind of JK Rowling, and whatever else that isn't mine.
James walked through the hallway on his way to his chamber from his classroom. He had finished grading a few papers. Over the past week he discovered that he got more done when he stayed there as opposed to working in his chamber, which posed too many distractions: various books, a wonderful view of the lake, etc.

Had it really been a week since he had started teaching? He was still nervous around his students, though he had learned to hide it better; he was still getting to know the students of Hogwarts; he was still attracted to Lily Evans.

No. No, he wasn’t and never had been.

Thud.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, as a book hit his foot and as several others missed very narrowly. “Damnit, I should watch where I walk.”

“Oh, no, it’s my fault.”

He recognized that voice. Would his heart please calm down?

“Oh, hello, Lily. Here, let me get those.” Very teacher like. Good. He sat down on the floor and picked up the books that he had knocked out of her hands.

Meanwhile, Lily walked over to the other side of the corridor and bent over to pick up a notebook that had slid a few feet away from where they had bumped into each other. Soon, all the belongings were gathered up, and James handed Lily her books while she held the notebook in her other arm at her side. She placed the notebook on top of the books, allowing her two hands to carry the pile.

“Er, thank you, Professor,” she said.

“It’s well into the weekend; where are you off to with all of these?” he gestured at the books she was holding. I will not offer to carry them for her, will not offer to carry them for her, his mind repeated

“Library, to study,” she explained.

“Study for what?” He himself had rarely studied while at Hogwarts. “It’s only the first week of school.”

“Can’t get behind, can I?”

She was the type that always raised her hand rather tentatively in class and gave the answer as though it were a question, but the answer was always right. She wasn’t very confident in her knowledge, but it was clear that she had it.

“You aren’t the type that would fall behind.”

“How do you know?” she asked.

“It’s only been eight years since I was at Hogwarts, and my friend Remus was just like you, sort of quiet, a little bit hesitant when it came to responding in class, but clearly brilliant. Graduated with top marks.”

She blushed. “Thank you, sir.”

“Well, I’m headed to the library as well.”

What? No you aren’t, he thought. He had no idea what made him say that.

“I’ll walk you there,” he continued.

Damnit, what the hell are you doing? his mind countered.

“Alright,” she said.

And they began to walk, oddly enough, in the direction opposite of where James had been heading a few minutes before. He wondered if she noticed. She was smart, she couldn’t not have, but she said nothing.

He felt like a schoolboy with the girl he liked, shooting sideways glances at her out of the corner of his eyes while the two of them walked in awkward silence.

Er… rather, he felt like a teacher, with a student walking beside them, both of them too different to really be able to talk. Yes, that was it.

“So, uh…” he began. “How is your sixth year?”

“Pretty good, actually. I have a few friends.” “James knew she was being modest. He had seen her in the hallway with a large group of girls crowded around her, and he had often noticed the looks that boys cast her as she walked by their desks. “ “I’ve got some good teachers.” “Another understatement, now that he was teaching. “ “And I’m finally away from my sister.”

“What’s wrong with your sister?” James asked.

“She hates me.”

“Oh.” He didn’t think it would be wise to question her further on the matter.

Soon they had arrived at the library, and after a questioning look from Madame Pince, they parted ways, Lily leaving to study, and James heading for the restricted section.

Once out of the view of anyone, he began to bang his head against the bookshelf, hitting a few books, all of which screamed in unison, but in different pitches. He backed away, surprised. They stopped once he did so.

Suddenly, Madame Pince was peering at him suspiciously from behind one of the shelves.

“Sorry,” he mouthed at her. She probably remembered him. Anyone would, but Madame Pince probably most clearly recalled the time he had put a miniature skrewt in her lunch once.

He saw Lily sitting quietly at a table by herself, studying large, worn volume. Her long red hair was flowing down her back in a way it had to right to do so nicely. A strand or two would constantly slip into her eyes, and she would push it behind her ear each time it did so.

New plan. Admit to liking Lily, hide affection until consultation with Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew.