Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Forbidden Desire by this isnt jess

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 5: Favors and Friendships




A/N: I just wanted to remind everyone that this fiction is partially AU. In this chapter, friendships are both made and renewed. Enjoy, and please review. Thanks for your time




After wiping his eyes, Peter slowly stood up and brushed himself off, feeling strangely drained of all emotion and empty inside. He grabbed his journal and stumbled from the room, then checked to make sure no one was coming before running as fast as he could back to the common room. Once there, he chucked the small book into the lit fireplace and then, without looking back, went up to his dormitory, head hanging.

***

It really is quite a nice Thursday, thought Lily as she made her way to the greenhouses. As she walked, she watched the leaves tumbling across freshly cut grass and realized that fall was her favorite season. She especially loved the temperatures. Not cold enough to wear coats, but just cool enough to wear a sweater. Lily loved sweaters.

Once at the greenhouse her class was to be held in, she opened the door and stepped inside. She was still a few minutes early, so she walked around the classroom, admiring the many different exotic plants that grew in the small space.

Upon hearing the door open again, she looked up to see Peter entering. His arms were loaded with textbooks and so she rushed over to help relieve him of some of the weight.

“Thanks,” he said quietly and took his seat. To his surprise, Lily sat down next to him.

“And how are you today, Peter? It’s quite a nice day, isn’t it?” Lily tried to be nice to Peter whenever she could. She felt bad for him, since he was sort of shy. Sometimes, if she watched him watching James and Sirius, she thought she saw a glint of envy in his eye.

Just as Peter was about to say something to Lily, the door banged open yet again and the class filled up. Lily got up took her seat next to a Hufflepuff named Martin.

Peter looked at her out of the corner of his eye for the rest of the class and realized he’d fallen for her bad.

***

That evening after dinner, James, Peter, Remus, and Sirius were sitting in the common room. James and Remus were playing wizard’s chess, while Sirius and Peter relaxed in armchairs.

“Your turn, mate,” James told Remus, and then turned to Sirius. “If you don’t like her, then why are you taking her to the dance?” He asked, speaking of Miranda, of course.

“I do like her. Can we please talk about this some other time, James?” Sirius relplied.

Suddenly, Peter started to speak. “James, can I talk to you, please? In private?”

James nodded and stood up. “You don’t mind, Remus?”

“Not at all.” Remus gave a lopsided grin and gestured for Sirius to take James’s place.

Once out of the common room, Peter spoke. “I saw you read my journal last night, James, and I just want to set things straight. I do like Lily, but I wouldn’t ever make a move on her. I just wanted to let you know that, in case you were holding something against me or something…”

“Not at all!” James stopped walking and shook his head. “What do you say we take a walk to the kitchens, see if there’s anything good to eat?”

Peter nodded and the two set off together.

***

This week has gone by so quickly, Lily thought as she found herself standing at the entrance to Hogwarts, waiting with Katie for the carriage to arrive.

“I know of a quaint little dress shop right down the road from Honeyduke’s. What do you say we stop in both of those shops, and then go to the Three Broomsticks for a nice butterbeer or two before coming back here?”

“That sounds excellent! Thank you so much for inviting me, Katie.” Lily smiled at her new friend. The two girls had been spending a large portion of their free time together, and, being that they were in a few of the same classes, did some of their schoolwork together.

Once the coach had arrived, the two climbed inside and set off on their adventure to Hogsmeade.

***

“Isn’t Hogsmeade lovely, Lily! I just love autumn.”

“Yes, it really is quite beautiful!” Lily responded. The two had just finished buying their dresses. Lily had purchased a light green satin dress with lots of tulle on it, and Katie bought a fancy pink ensemble complete with a corset backing, a full skirt, and she even bought a pair of crystal shoes. “I just love the dresses we bought. We’re going to feel like princesses at this dance!”

“We’re going to look like them, too!” replied Katie, spinning around and making both of them laugh.

After a quick stop at Honeyduke’s to pick up some candies and treats to enjoy back at the castle, the two girls stepped into The Three Broomsticks. While waiting for their butterbeers to arrive, Katie decided to confide in Lily.

“Lily, I’ve been meaning to tell you for some time… but as of late I was wondering what you thought of Peter. I really do like him… and I know he doesn’t seem like my type and everything, but he seems like a sweet boy.”

“Oh, Katie, he’s quite nice! But he’s very shy and I’m afraid that there would be no way of knowing if he likes you! But I think that you should just ask him to the dance if you like him, I’m sure he wouldn’t say no!”

Katie reached over the table and gave Lily a hug. Once the butterbeers arrived, she held her mug high and toasted to Lily. “To being friends forever!”

“Friends forever,” repeated Lily, held her glass high, and held the glass to her lips.

***

The next morning, Katie woke up early. Not just early, but, she soon realized, even before five. She rolled over and tried to fall back asleep. After a good fifteen minutes of trying, she decided to get up. It was a Monday, and on Mondays she didn’t have a class until eleven o’clock. She sighed. Oh, well. Maybe I can start that potions assignment.

Katie stumbled through her morning routine: take shower, fix hair, and brush teeth. Sometimes she felt like a robot. Soon enough though, it was nearly six o’clock and students with nine o’clock classes were beginning to stir. She went downstairs and fixed herself a place in front of the fire. Peter was sitting in an armchair a bit away.

“Peter?” Katie said cautiously, “May I ask you a question?”

Startled, Peter jumped and, flustered, pulled all of his books and papers into a single pile.

“Peter, would you like to go the dance with me?”

“Really?” he asked, a glimmer of hope dancing in his eye.

At that exact moment, though, Lily came through the door and down the staircase. Peter froze, like a deer in the headlights, murmured a quick, “I can’t”, and, leaving his books on the table beside him, hurried from the common room.

Katie, distraught, turned her face away from Lily’s questioning gaze.




A/N: Hope you liked it! I know things are moving a bit slow or quick right now, depending on how you look at it, but just have faith and things'll right themselves soon enough! Thanks for waiting, by the way. You know how things can be!