Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Distant Memories by trevorthetoad

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Hello! I’ve finally updated here. This chapter, along with the first, is mainly setting things up. The third and fourth chapters get into the story more. Hopefully those will be up soon as well. Anyways, I hope you like this chapter. I admit it’s not my best. Well, read on, my friends!

Disclaimer: I don’t own anything in or related to this story.

(((***)))

Distant Memories

It’s Time.

(((***)))


The next day started out like any other Hogwarts day; it was complete chaos. Of course, this day was probably even worse, because it was the day that all the students were going home. Well, at least all the students who had stayed that long.

So students searched for lost items to stuff into their hastily packed trunks. They rushed around hugging and laughing and saying goodbye. Meanwhile, all the professors attempted to keep everything orderly, but failed miserably in the process.

It was only when everyone noticed that it was ten did they realize that they had better get down to Hogsmeade Station. And so once again they rushed to get into the seemingly horseless carriages, hop onto the scarlet train, and find a good compartment. Everyone was in good spirits as they left their school and talked about their futures that would never again include a “man” named Voldemort.

This being the case in some areas, it definitely was not in others. It seemed to Harry that people were forgetting too quickly the ones that fell in the fight. Instead, everyone was just celebrating their life without fear. True, it was nice to think of walking outside without the fear of being attacked, but this wasn’t reality.

Just because Voldemort was gone, it didn’t mean that all his Death Eaters were. Many were still alive and roaming freely. And even if they were locked safely away in prison, there would always be evil. This was something that Harry had come to realize during his many hours of lying in his hospital bed.

Now that one evil is gone, Harry thought, another will rise. It may not be now, or tomorrow, or even next year, but it will come eventually. It always does.

Grindelwald was strong when Tom Riddle was at school. Who’s saying that the sense of power shown by that man hadn’t sparked some interest in Riddle at all? By seeing all that evil could do, Riddle’s sense of hatred and revenge had prevailed. And look what it led to!

With Voldemort’s death, some other person may be rising. This person could also be driven by the overwhelming sense of evil in the world, because, as always, it’ll be there….


Harry had been reaching for a glass of water during these thoughts. At the idea of another evil madman, he stopped abruptly. True, there may always be evil, but there will also be good in the world if I have anything to say about it!

With a sudden surge of determination, he reached out once more and caught the glass in his hand. Steadying his arm, he slowly brought the glass to his lips and took a sip. The cool liquid made its way down his throat and into his stomach where it churned as fast as the thoughts in Harry’s head. For now, when Remus came back, he had something to say.

***


Ron was worried. He was in his room at the Burrow currently sitting at his desk. The lurid orange walls seemed to mock him; they were way too bright for his mood. Groaning, he placed his head in his hands.

For the past year, Harry, Ron, and Hermione had searched out all the Horcruxes in order to destroy Voldemort. They had hid, tracked, battled, and, surprisingly, they had all survived. Now the country “ and the trio “ was suffering from the aftermath.

Harry was lying in a hospital bed, and although most thought that he had to deal with only physical injuries, Ron and Hermione knew better. They had known Harry for over seven years now and could tell when he was holding things in. Oh, they knew of his tendency of taking all responsibility and blame on his shoulders. It was one of Harry’s major “ and irksome “ quirks.

Although this was true, Ron, like Harry, thought people were being too cheerful. They should still be looking out for danger. It won’t go away, and when it hits, it’ll be ten times worse. Ron then snorted. If Hermione heard me right then, she would’ve commented on my absolute optimism.

That was it. He burst out laughing. Even to his own ears, it sounded absurd. That’s it. I’m going to find Hermione and Ginny. It’s time to visit Harry.

***


It was about an hour later when Remus summoned up enough courage to finally journey back to the troubled teen. He had spent the night tossing and turning, wondering about how he should approach Harry. He had expected so many things “ ranging from ignorance to angry insults “ that when he walked into the infirmary, he had no choice but to be completely surprised when Harry just looked at him.

“You came back,” the hospitalized patient stated.

Remus managed a small smile. He was standing at the door, but his feet didn’t want to move; he was still a bit weary.

“I didn’t think you would.” At the raised eyebrow coming from the adult, Harry looked sheepish. “Well, not so soon at least.”

Remus sighed and closed the gap between the two. He now sat in the chair in which he had spent so much time in the past week. “I’m sorry, Harry. I know you don’t really like to… erm … express your feelings, but you really do need to talk about it. I know you’re beating yourself up inside.” He held up a hand to stop Harry’s protests. “I was wrong yesterday. I shouldn’t have pushed you. Talk when you need to. But rest assured, you will eventually.”

Harry was staring at the blindingly white sheets. Remus knew that an internal storm was raging stronger than ever inside of him. The one that seemed so confident and aware on the battlefield was now sitting there, unsure and tired. So very tired.

Remus stood. “Harry,” he said. The indicated one finally tore his gaze from the linens and looked up. “I’ll be here when you need me.” He then turned and left the patient, each dwelling in his own thoughts.

***


It was only later when Remus realized that he had never stayed long enough to hear what Harry had to say. Somehow I shut him up when he was finally going to talk. Or at least I think he was, judging by his attitude when I first came in.... Oh, there’s irony for you.

His stomach rumbled. With a sudden thought, he turned around. Before he reached the infirmary, he took a left and went down a semi-lighted staircase. Around a few more corners, he saw the object of his search: a portrait with various fruits on it. Ha! There it is!

***


Harry was confused. He had been so ready to tell Remus what happened, what was bothering him, but he never did. When Remus had started telling him that he would listen, the fact that he knew that he would have to eventually tell his whole story really sunk in. Yup, quite the task that would be when he finally got up the nerve “ again. Gryffindor courage, my arse.

Harry had drifted from everyone in what would’ve been his last year at Hogwarts. He was so caught up in tracking down Horcruxes and escaping attacks that he didn’t dare think about how it would affect him. Being in the middle of a war could do that to you.

And then there were the dreams. In between his horrifying nightmares from either Voldemort or his own twisted subconscious, he had had other ones. Although they were nowhere near as gruesome, they were mystifying all the same. They didn’t seem a threat, and now that Voldemort was gone, they surely didn’t now, but they were still there, and that troubled Harry.

And so with a heavy heart, Harry waited. Luckily, he didn’t have to wait long; Remus had come in with a basket of food.

Remus looked around. Seeing no Madam Pomfrey in sight, he whispered, “I thought you might be hungry; Merlin knows I am!” He looked around one more, just to check. “I know from personal experience that hospital food isn’t as … edible as one would like.”

If Harry had been in better spirits, he would’ve pointed out that he couldn’t figure out who Remus resembled more at the moment: Moody for his paranoia or Ron for his love of food. He then tried to smile; he truly did. Sighing, he took the slice of mince meat pie that Remus had handed him.

“Moony,” Harry started, looking down again, “I think it’s time I say this. I have to warn you though…. Once I start, it may be hard for me to stop.”

Remus pulled a chair up to the side of Harry’s bed. “Don’t worry. I’m listening.”

Harry took a deep breath and looked his friend straight in the eye. “It all started about a year ago….”

***


A/N: Thank you to all of you who have read and/or reviewed!

For future reference, can anyone please tell me some popular British foods? Thanks!

Oh, and the scene with Ron. Did it seem like it was just stuck in there randomly?

Feel free to tell me in a review! *wink*