Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Distant Memories by trevorthetoad

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The long awaited Chapter 5 of Distant Memories. My deepest apologies for taking almost 10 months to complete this, but things happen. I write when I can, but I have no intentions of giving this story up (as of yet). Thank you all who have waited and understood why I did not have this up before.

Side note: Claro Fortaura in this chapter means “reveal physical aura” It is a play on Latin words. I don’t know Latin, so anyone who does is probably laughing at my sad attempt at making that a spell.

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all associated with it do not belong to a girl in high school who would rather spend her time doing tarot readings instead of her math homework. Pity.

Warning: Pure fluff ahead.

Distant Memories

Don’t Let It Get You

***



Harry awoke the next day with a sense of foreboding. He was lying in his hospital bed, seemingly asleep. His eyes were still closed when he heard footsteps around him. He groaned; he already had a major headache.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry opened one eye and saw Madam Pomfrey standing by his bed. He gazed up at her questioningly.

“What can I do for you?” he said, struggling to sit up.

Madam Pomfrey grabbed his arm. When he was situated, she said, “It’s time for another check-up.”

“But I feel fine!” Harry protested; he was really getting sick of this room.

She pointed a finger at him, saying, “Lying about your health isn’t the smartest thing to do, Mr. Potter.” She saw him hesitate and said, “It’ll be over in a jiffy.”

He sighed in resignation. “Then by all means, continue,” Harry said dryly.

Madam Pomfrey didn’t say anything, but ran her wand over the length of him. He watched as a blanket of color appeared above him. For the most part, it was a dull yellow, but the part above his head was a raging purple. A sort of pea green was resting above his chest.

“Madam Pomfrey?” Harry said, and she looked over to him. “What is this spell?” he asked curiously.

“It’s called Claro Fortaura. It’s a common healing charm that shows your physical aura. That is, as opposed to your magical aura.”

She said this as if it cleared everything up. Actually, it only dragged up about five hundred sixty-three more questions, one of which was, “What?”

Madam Pomfrey stopped on her way over to the potions cabinet and turned around. “When someone says ‘aura,’ they are usually referring to the magical aura, the one linked to your magic. The physical aura, however, is rooted in your corporeal self, your real body. It reveals your true health, which is why Healers use this spell.”

Harry leaned forward. Interesting…

Madam Pomfrey continued, “Now, both types show colors. The physical aura has basic colors “ blues, purples…yellows, etc “ each with a specific meaning. A bright yellow represents good health, so you are approaching normal. The pea green indicates that your respiratory system isn’t doing well. It’s actually still quite sickly. The purple, however, is linked to your brain. Judging by this, Mr. Potter, you are currently suffering from a pounding headache.”

Harry blinked. Damn…

Madam Pomfrey turned back to the cabinet, and said, “Well, that’s just a basic summary of that aura. But like I said, the magical aura is different. The colors are like that of the physical one, but with a certain glow. You cannot see them with just a simple spell either. Those who can see them are usually born with the gift, although it is possible”even if it’s rare”for someone to learn. Still, however, your magical aura can be examined to see how your magical stores are at that current time. That is the most common use for it, but…”

Harry sat there. Madam Pomfrey was rambling away. True, it was interesting, but he got it. The physical aura represents the health of the body, the magical shows how much magic is left in you. Thanks, Poppy…

By now, she was back to Harry’s side, but stopped talking when his eyes started to droop.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry’s eyes snapped open. “What?” he said intelligently.

“I need you awake for these potions. This one is for your headache.” Madam Pomfrey handed him a vial of purple liquid, something Harry immediately recognized as a round of headache potion. Hey, at least I’ll be able to move my head without wincing every few seconds… He tipped his head back to pour the potion down his throat. Madam Pomfrey handed him two more: one was the same pea green as what the Claro Fortaura spell showed, the other was a Dreamless Sleep potion. Lovely…

Harry’s eyes began to close once more. The last thing he saw before he fell into his dreamless sleep was Madam Pomfrey waving her wand to vanish the various colors above him.

***


Eugh! What is that? Ginny thought as she lifted her head off of her pillow. It was obviously morning judging by the way the sun poured into her room. However, there was something on her face that was making her uncomfortable. She wiped her eyes. Eww… Eye bogeys. Too many tears last night, apparently.

After clearing away her face, Ginny stayed lying down for a few minutes, thinking. She was going to see Harry today! Finally, after these past torturous months, she would see the man she loved.

However, something worried Ginny. She wondered if he would still feel the same. After being away for so long, did his love for her”or whatever he felt”lessen? She would have to find out, but she was scared as all hell to do so.

Ginny sat up and looked at her clock. It was 8 A.M. I wonder if Ron and Hermione are up yet. Ginny smiled and pulled herself out of bed. She ran her hands through her hair and glanced in the mirror. Merlin, I need a shower.

After deciding she would do just that once she found her brother and Hermione, Ginny left the room. Since her bedroom was located on the floor below Ron’s, she had to head upstairs before she discovered that he was not there. Taking the steps two at a time, she traveled down to Fred and George’s old room, yet neither Hermione nor Ron was in there. Hmm… Maybe they are downstairs already.

Ginny went down to the kitchen, the last place she had seen them (and where any normal person would be at breakfast time). The room was empty. She sighed and headed to the living room. Ginny stopped in the doorway to smile.

Ron was sitting on the couch with his head leaning over the back. Hermione had her head on his lap. She also had Ron’s jumper draped over her legs for warmth.

Ginny saw how peaceful and loving they looked. It was something she hadn’t seen in awhile. Ginny knew she could have that too, but only when she got the two of them up to go to Hogwarts. Yes, her peace and love lay there.

***


“Harry! Wake up!” Remus said. He shook Harry’s shoulder once more. “You have visitors.”

At that, Harry opened one eye. Seeing who was there”and clearly too” (he had forgotten to take his glasses off before he fell asleep earlier), he scrambled to sit up. Ron and Hermione were standing by his bed, Remus was sitting in his usual chair by Harry’s side with a book entitled 201 Ways to Tame a Pygmy Puff. Harry didn’t even want to ask about the book, but he smiled anyway.

“Harry,” Ron started with a cough. “Aww, what the hell,” he muttered. Ron then leaned down and gave his best friend a huge hug. Hermione had tears in her eyes. She then repeated Ron’s actions, albeit with more grace, until the three were tangled in one tight group hug.

Remus looked up from his book. He decided that they might want some privacy, so he left the room. In the corridor he saw Ginny. She was sitting on the floor with her back against the stone wall and her head in her hands.

Remus knelt down beside her and put a hand on her arm. “Ginny, are you alright?”

Ginny didn’t look up, but she did nod. “Yeah.”

“Then why”never mind. I get it.”

Well, Ginny did raise her head at that. “Get what?” she asked, hesitantly.

Remus sat on the floor next to her. “You have spent the past year away from Harry. You’ve only seen him maybe twice since you two broke up at the end of your fifth year. I know how much you miss each other, yet you sit here by yourself while Harry is just on the other side of that wall.”

Ginny stared blankly at the floor. When she didn’t say anything, Remus continued.

“It’s because you’re scared, isn’t it?”

Ginny’s head shot up. To Remus, she looked lost. He patted her arm once and said, “You are wondering if he’ll feel the same as he did a year ago.” He looked sympathetic. “But that’s normal, Ginny, and it’s obvious that Harry adores you. Don’t worry.”

And with that, Remus patted her arm once more and stood. He started off towards the kitchens (treacle tart today!) when Ginny called his name.

“Yes?” he said.

Ginny smiled her first smile since that morning. “How the hell do you know everything?”

Remus smiled too. “Have you ever heard that as you get older, you get wiser?” he asked, tucking a strand of his graying hair behind his ear. Ginny nodded. “Yeah, it’s got nothing to do with that. It’s just a gift.” She snorted as he continued on to retrieve his tart.

***


Meanwhile, the three in the Hospital Wing were on the subject of war casualties. Harry discovered that some of his loyal friends and fighters died in the Final Battle. Hagrid had died saving Remus from Pettigrew’s silver hand and a silver knife held in its grip. Remus, although shocked, had then destroyed the rat, making Remus the last Marauder. Justin Flinch-Fletchey and Hannah Abbott were killed defending some First-years. Colin Creevey took a curse for his brother, Dennis. 37 others”including 12 Aurors”were also killed during the fight. Three times that were injured, although not fatally.

Over the last year, Luna, the Dursleys, and Percy Weasley also passed on. Snape had been murdered by some Death Eaters after they discovered that he had killed Dumbledore on his orders and was still spying on Voldemort. The total death count was 856 innocents, 189 on the Light Side, and 242 Death Eaters (including Lucius Malfoy”killed by his own son).

After hearing all of this, Harry sat with his head in his hands, similar to Ginny (who was still outside in the corridor). Tears were streaming down Harry’s face, yet he”oddly enough”didn’t seem to mind that Ron and Hermione saw. He didn’t care anymore about little things. Too much had happened! Too many had died!

Minutes passed, and a knock was heard. Harry was no longer crying. He looked at Ron and whispered, “Is it…?”

“I think so, mate,” Ron said.

“Ready?” asked Hermione.

Harry nodded. “Come in!”

The door slowly opened to reveal an angel. Harry stared at the figure in the doorway as Ron and Hermione quickly backed out of the room.

She stood staring into Harry’s eyes. To him, she was the embodiment of perfection. With her long auburn hair and her warm brown eyes… Yet it didn’t stop at her looks. Her laugh… Oh! Her laugh! (Harry loved making her laugh.) He could compare it to the clearest bells ringing, and it still wouldn’t be as beautiful. The way she was so compassionate but could still stand up for what was right…. Beautiful…

“Ginny,” Harry breathed.

“Harry,” Ginny grinned.

Three.

She was beside him.

Two.

She was throwing her arms around him.

One.

She was kissing him.

And he was kissing her back with as much passion and love as her.

It was a few minutes later when they finally broke apart. Ginny was still smiling. “Harry.”

“Ginny.”

“You’re back.”

“I know,” he smiled.

Ginny was now sitting next to him on his bed, so she could nudge him in the arm with her elbow. “Do you remember?”

***


“Promise me something.”

“Anything, Ginny. Anything.”

“Promise me you’ll do all that you can to come back. Beat him, and come back. That’s all I ask.”


***


“And do you remember what happened after that?” Harry smirked.

“I do remember.”

***


His reply was a swift kiss. She lost herself in the sweetness, the needing, and the love all wrapped up in one.

***


The present-day couple was once again busy with their kissing. Well, that’s until Harry pulled away. “Gin, I think we need to talk.”

Her eyes flew open. Panic rushed through her veins as she stared blankly at him. What did he mean?

Harry, seeing the look on her face, realized his mistake. “No, no, not like that! I didn’t mean it like that!”

Her heart rate slowed a bit.

Harry ran a hand through his tangled hair. He sighed. “Ginny, that day a few months ago in your room, we talked about how it was dangerous for you to be with me.”

“We also talked about how I don’t care about that.”

He rubbed his eyes.

“Harry, Voldemort is gone. He was out biggest danger, and now he’s gone!”

“There are still dangers out there. Several Death Eaters have not been captured,” Harry said calmly.

Ginny searched his eyes desperately, bringing a hand up to his face. “The world will always be dangerous. Sure, we can rid ourselves of evil for a time, but there will always be criminals, murderers… It’s not possible to destroy all that, and if we did, we would never experience the things that make us stronger. Harry, you destroyed Voldemort to live. If you cannot be in a relationship knowing that danger exists, then no time will be good enough.”

Harry looked so deeply torn. He closed his eyes for a few minutes, thinking, but when they were opened, a tear could be seen. “Ginny, I””

She took the hand that was resting on his cheek and placed a finger on his lips. “Harry,” Ginny said, “You don’t have to say anything.” She took a deep breath. “Know that I love you, and know that when you are ready to except the fact that I won’t let Death Eaters get in the way of our happiness, then I will be here.” She kissed his lips and moved to stand.

“Gin.”

She looked at him. “Yes?” Ginny said, trying to sound strong.

Harry seemed to weigh his words. “Are you sure?” He finally said.

Ginny smiled. “About which part?”

“That you love me.”

She sat back down. “Amazingly so.”

Harry grinned at that. When it faded a little, he then casually said, “Although I’m still scared to death of you getting hurt, I want this so much. Gin, I love you too.”

Ginny was in shock. Harry, the man she loved, loved her back. What she wanted since she was a little girl was finally happening, and now, feeling stupid, she had no idea what to do.

So she burst into tears.

Harry, still not used to girls crying, panicked. He quickly wrapped an arm around her shoulders and searched for something to say. However, he had no idea what he did wrong, so all he could do was mutter an awkward “I’m sorry.”

Ginny smiled at him. “No reason to be. I’m just so happy!”

Blank stare.

She laughed.

He sighed, “I will never understand women.”

Ginny hugged him. “Doubt it,” she said, kissing him lightly. That, of course, only led to more kissing.

Someone coughed. They broke apart and looked at the door, blushing. Ron, Remus, and Hermione were standing there, smiling.

“Yes?” Harry asked wryly.

“Harry, Ginny,” Remus smirked. “So sorry to interrupt, but I think Harry needs to continue telling me something from yesterday.”

Harry stared at Remus for a minute, his arm still around Ginny’s shoulders. “The dreams?”

Remus nodded.

“They can know.”

Hermione, Ron, and Ginny looked a bit confused.

“Dreams?” Ron asked.

Harry sighed and said, “In the past year, I’ve had some odd dreams. They seem to all be a continuation of the previous ones, but now that Voldemort is gone, I can be sure that he isn’t implanting them in my head. They’re still there, but I don’t know why!”

“Can you explain them to us?” Hermione asked.

“Sure,” Harry said. “Get comfortable. There’s a lot to tell.”

Harry and Ginny positioned themselves on the hospital bed so that they were side by side, yet still snuggled together. The others pulled up chairs, and in Remus’ case, transfigured them into something a little more comfortable.

“I’m just going to start off where I was last time, alright?” After they nodded, Harry continued. “So, after I recognized the person hugging me as my mum, I…”

***


A/N: Please review.