Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The End Of The Battle by harryandginnyxx

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry fell down to his knees, weakened by the attack. Somehow, he was not overwhelmed by Voldemort's defeat - it did not surprise, nor relieve, nor rejoice him, that Voldemort was dead, that it was over. He just stared at thin air, where Voldemort had last stood, his mind blank. Then, he turned around and stared around at the others.

At the other end of the graveyard sat Ron and Hermione, who were hugging each other and whispering to each other. To the left of them stood Tonks, who was leaning against a tree, apparently unable to stand up by herself. Her left hand was holding Lupin's right, and Lupin was stroking Tonks's hair softly. When Harry saw this, he remembered what Dumbledore had said about there being a little more love at the world. Fred and George were staring gloomily at each other, lost for words. Harry searched through his memories of them, remembering their playful, pranking personalities - when they had handed him the Maurauder's map, when they had set off the swamp, when they had set off the fireworks...Harry grinned, as he remembered the fireworks, and the distressed state of the horrible Professor Umbridge as she ran around trying to get rid of them.

Ginny was standing alone in the middle of the graveyard. She spotted Harry and wandered, dreamlike, over to him, and crouched down next to him.

They were suddenly overcome by their love for each other, and embraced each other - happily? Sadly? At the moment, Harry couldn't decide what he was feeling. He was happy that Voldemort was gone and that he and Ginny could get back together...but somehow, he felt sad...that excitement of trying to defeat Voldemort was gone...there was nothing left to be done.

"I missed you when we broke up," said Ginny, looking at Harry, intently. "I could not stop thinking of you."

"I missed you, too, Ginny."

They smiled at each other, and hugged again.

Then, it hit Harry. Voldemort was gone - he was defeated, it was over- and it was all down to him that he was dead, defeated, destroyed. He remembered his first year, when he had saved the Philosopher's Stone. That had been the first time he had met Voldemort, though at that time, he had been sticking out of the back of his Defence against the Dark Arts Professor's head. That was the first time that Harry had battled against him and won. He had saved the Stone, and had delayed Voldemort from returning to power.

He remembered his second year, with Tom Riddle and the diary. Tom Marvolo Riddle - Lord Voldemort. It seemed odd that what had once been an orphanage boy was now a powerful killer. He remembered how Riddle had tried to control Ginny, and how Riddle had set the Basilisk on him when he tried to save her. He remembered Godric Gryffindor's sword, and how it had helped him to defeat the Basilisk. He remembered plunging the Basilisk's tooth into the diary and destroying - without realizing then - one of Voldemort's six Horcruxes, and saving Ginny's life.

He thought back to his third year, when he had discovered Sirius, and saved him from being kissed by the Dementors. He remembered the time turner, and how it had aided he and Hermione in the rescue. He remembered Buckbeak, Hagrid's Hippogriff, and how they had saved him, too, and used him to save Sirius. He remembered discovering Peter Pettigrew, and finding out that it was he who betrayed Harry's parents.

He remembered the Triwizard tournament in his fourth year, and how the imposter Barty Crouch, disguised as Mad-eye Moody, had helped him through the Tournament, and led him to Voldemort. He remembered Cedric Diggory and how he had been finished by Voldemort. He remembered the beautiful Priori Incantatem, and how it had saved him from Voldemort's Killing Curse.

Then, he had entered his Fifth year at Hogwarts. He remembered the horrible dreams about Voldemort, and the horrible Occlumency...he still felt guilty about not trying in Occlumency, since it was partly this that had led to Sirius's death...Harry remembered the fight at the Ministry, and how Sirius had sunk back through that mysterious veil. He remembered how Voldemort had tried to possess him, and how painful it had been for Voldemort when he did so.

He remembered Dumbledore's lessons in is sixth year, how he had retrieved Horace Slughorn's memory about the Horcruxes, and how it had led to Harry and Dumbledore's pointless mission. He still had the fake Horcrux in his pocket - he carried it everywhere with him. It was the note inside the Horcrux that had helped Harry to find the rest....R.A.B...he had been so stupid not to know...he had seen it written down! Regulus Black, Sirius's brother, had been a Death Eater. harry had then known that he had to start off at Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place to find the next Horcrux.

He thought back to this last year, and how he had managed to retrieve and destroy the Horcruxes: The diary, the ring, the locket, the snake, the cup and the Mirror of Erised. And he remembered the shattered glass of the Mirror of Erised, and seeing Voldemort's reflection within it being shattered, destroyed.

He looked around the graveyard once more, and looked again at Ginny. He knew what he had to do next.

"Ginny," he said, but paused. He was not quite ready yet. He took another breath and gave it another go. "Ginny, er - will - will you -"

Ginny looked at him, and a grin spread across her face.

"Yes."