Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Quidditch and Love by Ivona Queens

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"GO, CHARLIE!"

"GO GRYFFINDOR!"

"COME ON, WEASLEY!"

"YES!!! GO! GO!"

It was the first match of the year, Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Despite an unusually chilly morning, the entire school turned out for the event, sporting yellow and scarlet or silver and green hats and scarves, depending on who they were supporting. A strong, freezing wind whipped through the stands, but no one shivred, afraid that they would miss the action. The match was tense, and all of a sudden, a sound erupted, similar to the explosion of a small bomb. The crowd was going wild as Gryffindor Seeker Charlie Weasley preformed a spectacular dive. In a few short, excitement-filled seconds, the golden Snitch was in his fist, and the commenter, Jazz Davis, was happily shouting the scores - Gryffindor won, 190 to 20.

Joy and nervousness filled me to the brim. I had asked Charlie to meet me by the lake after the match. I had a plan, and if it worked, I would have at least one friend. I still wondered if someone even knew that there was a girl named Arianna Perry in their class. The summer was a large change for me - my acne disappeared, my eyes changed color to a darker blue, my hair grew stronger and thicker, I grew a good two inches, and my skin color evened out, the end product being a milky white, a shade lighter than everyone else's. These changes hadn't gone completely unnoticed - sometimes people looked twice at me, as if I was a new student.

One thing stayed the same - I still didn't have any friends. I wasn't like the other girls. I felt lonely, and I spent most of my time in the library. I was desperate for at least a little conversation. I knew that I had to have at least one friend, so I did my research. I studied the habits and personalities of other people, the way they talked and walked, and their overall character. I came up with a startling result - Charlie Weasley.

The Charlie Weasley. The famous Gryffindor Seeker. The one who can spot a snitch a mile a way. From what I could tell, he had a good personality, he didn't have a bad mind, and overall, he seemed to be a nice person. The most shocking part of my research was that he didn't seem to have any friends.

Oh sure, there were the crazed fans and the girls desperate for his attention (not to mention a date), but apart from that, I didn't see him hanging out with anyone. He seemed to be alone and lonely while being surrounded with people who practically worshiped him. I felt saddened when I realized this, that people wanted to be friends with Charlie the Seeker and not Charlie Weasley. I thought that it was worth a shot to become Charlie's friend.

The stands were clearing out now, and I made my way to the lake. The sunlight danced along the lake's waves, making it look like a gorgeous sapphire. I sat down by the edge of the lake. A minute or two later, Charlie Weasley arrived, his red hair still wet from the showers, his cheeks still pink from the rush of the wind. My heart leapt. Charlie wasn't the most handsome boy in the sixth year, but I thought that he looked cute. I thought he looked perfect.

I swallowed hard. I wasn't looking for romance, I was looking for a favor and a friend. Neither of us spoke for a while; we looked out at the lake, and I let the wind tussle my wavy brown hair. Finally, he touched my arm., and heat shot through my arm, tingling a little. "Arianna? Is there something you wanted to talk to me about?"

I cleared my throat. "Umm...yeah, actually, there was." Well no duh. If there wasn't, why would we be there? "I was wondering...see, I...umm...I was wondering if you could train me in Quidditch." There. I said it.

He looked at me curiously. "You? Quidditch?"

I nodded. "I was thinking about going out for the house team next year, and it does look like fun." It was true. Quidditch looked like something I really wanted to try. "It's really interesting," I continued, "and you're really good at it." The last part wasn't supposed to come out. I felt my face go warm and I looked away. I became annoyed with myself. Why was I being so shy? Is it because he was a boy? I summed up all of my courage and looked him in the eyes.

He stared back at me, and after a second of consideration, he nodded. "Alright," he said. "I'll teach and train you. Is Friday alright? I think you'll like Quidditch."

I smiled and he smiled back. We walked up to the castle in silence. I was hoping that the training would bring us closer together. I needed a friend. All the girls were too loud, noisy and foolish for my taste. They got on my nerves, with their red nails and gossiping about everything. Charlie seemed calmer, and he was the kindest person in Gryffindor.

As we entered the common room, there was a party going on. Everyone cheered when they spotted Charlie, the star of the match. Of course, no one noticed me. It was like I was only a shadow - a trick of the light, hardly ever noticed, hardly ever needed. I sighed, grabbed a Butterbeer, and sat down in one of the armchairs. I doubted that I could make it to Friday.