Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

If Only I Knew by Lily Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: This is JK's kitchen, recipe, and ingredients... I only do the baking! ;)

One dark, cold December night, James Potter left the Gryffindor common room with his favorite comrade in arms: his Invisibility Cloak. Ironically, Sirius was sick as a dog unfortunately, so he was stuck in bed. He’d been released from the hospital wing earlier that very day. However, despite his illness, he claimed that he would die of hunger. James knew he’d only throw the food up right after he ate it, but he was a good, loyal friend and decided to go get a mini-feast for Sirius.

As James quietly tip-toed down the staircase, he realized that he was not alone in sneaking down the stairway. Lily Evans, the red-headed girl that always made him and Sirius look like complete morons in Charms, was slowly but surely making her own way to the corridor below. Although they were both third-year Gryffindors, he didn’t know her that well. The last time he’d seen her was at lunch. She’d scolded a sixth year Slytherin trying to scare a first year by telling him horrible tales of what happened to first years who did not do come at his every beck and call, ready and willing to serve. The Slytherin, in turn, spat “Filthy Mudblood” and threw a rather nasty hex at her. Luckily she dove out of the way in the nick of time, but it was clear that the Slytherin had won that particular encounter. He flashed her a sickening smile that showed off all of his yellowing crooked teeth. Everyone standing around knew that Lily felt infuriated upon witnessing the transformation of her usually pale face into a fiery red that matched her hair. Her fists balled up, and she stormed out of the Great Hall. James had felt compassion for her really. She’d stood up for what she believed in, but she just couldn’t compete with such a beast.

As he continued down the stairs, he decided that maybe it’d be more fun if he figured out what Lily was up to roaming around Hogwarts after hours. He knew Sirius would forgive him for investigating such a curious occurrence. Without further ado, he let Miss Evans pass him on the stairs and became merely an observer as she looked around quickly and took out her wand. As if in a hurry, she scampered over to the nearest broom closet, pointed at the door, and whispered an incantation that James had never heard before. Curiously, James analyzed the scene. Hearing a noise that sounded like people coming up the staircase that led to the dungeons, Lily fled into the nearest classroom and cracked the door open. Luckily, James had been (literally) two steps ahead of her. In a desperate attempt to see what was going on outside of the room, he looked over her (which was fairly easy given their height difference). As he watched the big, burly Slytherin that had tormented Lily at lunch escort a rather unfortunate looking girl into the broom cupboard, he couldn’t help but notice that Lily smelt absolutely wonderful. He typically didn’t care for flowery scents, but hers was just divine in his opinion. Snapping back to his senses, he watched as the door to the broom cupboard latched closed. Suddenly, a shrieking sound that violated the ears more than a Howler reached his ears. Then, he heard two sets of fists pounding on the broom closet’s door. Lily let out a quiet little giggle, and James fought to keep his ribs from breaking under the pressure of his suppressed laughter. He could not believe that Lily Evans, THE goody-two-shoes of his year, had just pulled off a prank that could easily rival one of James and Sirius’s best. He then made a mental note to never mess with Lily Evans. As Filch approached the broom closet’s door yelling numerous methods of punishment for such delinquents, Lily moved towards the back of the room and sat deep in the shadows, leaving almost no chance of her ever being caught. James, seeing that she would clearly get away from this unscathed (for no Slytherin would believe Lily capable of carrying out such a brilliant prank) snuck out of the room under the guise of his trustworthy cloak. This time, he had to use all of his control to not pee in his pajamas as he snuck by a furious Filch reprimanding the two Slytherins who had merely left their common room for a good snog in his usual spot. The ugly girl was crying, while the revolting boy was clearly extremely angry. The scene was just hysterical.

As James reflected on the events of that night, he tickled the pear in the painting that led to the kitchen and the house-elves that knew him by name. The house-elves did their best to fill James’s arms with everything that Sirius loved about Hogwarts food and more. Finally, after completing the mission that Sirius had set him out to do, he silently made his way back to the Gryffindor common room. After giving the Fat Lady the password (“Gillyweed”), he made his way towards the third year boys’ dormitory. Upon seeing Sirius, he realized that he did not really want to tell Sirius all that he had seen concerning Lily’s marvelous prank. “It took you long enough!” Sirius exclaimed. James just smirked and dug into the grub he had rummaged up. Three minutes later, Sirius was projectile vomiting all over the room, just as James had predicted.