Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Their Child- of Voldemort's. by professor mary

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: It’s really very simple- since I’m not JKR, I don’t own HP.


Hermione sighed and chanced to look up at the man sitting across from her. He seemed to be studying his tea but then he looked up and caught her gaze. He gave her a small smile but then returned his attention to his beverage. They’d been sitting like this for nearly an hour. Everyone else had long since left for the night. They were still there, both understanding that they needed to talk yet neither able to break the heavy awkward silence that stood between them.

It was Draco’s turn to sigh. He wanted to talk with Hermione but instead found himself reflecting on the evening’s events. Save the night of Louisa’s birth, Draco could think of no other single evening where so much had happened.

Seeing his daughter in Hermione’s arms had been one of the most exhilarating moments of his life. In that instant, he fully recognized Hermione’s love for and commitment to Louisa. As if that wasn’t already emotionally overwhelming, he had also realized something else- he was completely in love with the woman sitting directly across from him- the woman I can’t even speak to, he thought. His thoughts wondered back to the rest of the evening.

Hermione had stood, still cradling Louisa in her arms. Her sobs had diminished and her breathing, though raspy, had returned to a normal rate. When she finally met his eyes, Draco had felt like he would explode from the passion in her gaze. She backed into the house, and he followed the two inside. Slowly she set Louisa down on the bench and kneeled in front of her to help her take off her coat. Without looking up, she handed the child’s coat to Draco for him to hang on the coat rack. Draco was shocked at his own emotional reaction to such a simple intimate gesture. He quickly slipped off his own coat and hung it next to Louisa’s and what must have been Hermione’s robes, too.

“How about some hot chocolate?” Hermione croaked. It was the first thing anyone had really said since she’d opened the door to find them both standing there.

“Yes, please,” Louisa replied gleefully. The child stood up, and laced her hand into Hermione’s. Draco noted the tiny gasp that Hermione gave at Louisa’s gesture. He followed the two down towards the kitchen. He helped Louisa onto the old wooden bench and then sat down next to her, his eyes trailing Hermione as she moved about the kitchen.

She sat on the other side them with three mugs. Pulling out her wand, she gave three tiny loops and recited an incantation that Draco hadn’t heard before. The three mugs suddenly steamed with creamy hot chocolate. Draco couldn’t help but smile at Louisa’s reaction- she’d clapped her hands in merriment.

“They’re all different!” the child exclaimed, peering into each of the three mugs. This brought about a deep rich laughter from Hermione. Draco had to catch his breath at the sound of it.

“Yes, it’s my own spell! It’s silly, I guess- but I think people should always have the kind of hot chocolate that they want,” she chuckled. “See, mine has marshmallows but not too much crème. And yours has marshmallows, too, but much more crème and sugar,” she giggled, looking into Louisa’s cup. She reached for Draco’s mug then, brushing her fingers against his as she tilted it slightly to see the contents. She couldn’t quite speak, and he noted how she shuddered at their slight touch. Or was that me? he asked himself.

“And yours,” she continued, “has no marshmallows but lots more chocolate.” She let go of his mug and met his eyes. Her own eyes were bright with emotion and in them he saw his forgiveness. He could only give her the slightest of nods as he was certain he’d momentarily lost his capacity for speech.

“So you and Daddy know each other, don’t you?” asked Louisa, thoughtfully. Draco knew that his daughter had been closely observing his interactions with Hermione. He wandered what the child thought. Louisa had always been uncannily perceptive. He cleared his throat.

“We were in school together for seven years and since then we have been a part of the same group- and that’s been for the past four years,” he explained. That’s hardly an accurate description of how I know her, though, he mused. Louisa considered him briefly before shifting her gaze to Hermione.

“Well,” she squeaked. Then she took a deep breath, “Well, we did go to school together though we didn’t really get along, I suppose,” she started, pausing to give Draco a hint of a smirk. “But then one night, at the beginning of our seventh year, I saw you, Louisa. And the next day, I got an anonymous plea for help- for help with you,” she said, looking at the child. “That night, I saw you again- but this time I saw you in the arms of your father.” A blush was slowly creeping up her cheeks. “And when I saw you both, I’d say that our relationship crossed a critical juncture. Wouldn’t you, Draco?” she asked, now deeply blushing and staring at him.

Draco had been floored at her confession. She really had known from the very beginning. She had knowingly and willingly helped him- Draco Malfoy. He pondered the significance of that for a moment before he realized that both Hermione and Louisa were still looking at him expectantly.

“Yes,” he breathed. “I’d say it did change from then on- though I didn’t know you knew it was me,” he finished, now staring deeply into his chocolate.

At that moment, their increasingly awkward tension was broken by noises and smells coming down the staircase. Harry, Ron, and Ginny walked into the kitchen, carrying three bags of what Draco immediately recognized as Thai food.

No one spoke as six sets of eyes darted back and forth, taking everything in. Finally the newcomers walked over the old table and put down the bags of food.

Harry had been the first to react. Draco heard Hermione take in a deep breath.

Harry walked over to Draco, and held out his hand. Draco stood to shake it, amazed at the gesture. Though Draco had worked for the Order for four years, had even worked alongside the Boy-Who-Lived, he’d never been on the receiving end of Harry’s proffered hand.

“And this beautiful girl must be Louisa Malfoy,” he said good-naturedly. “Nice to meet you, I’m Harry.” This had made Louisa giggle as she took Harry’s hand. Draco felt his own mouth moving upwards into a smile.

Ron and Ginny both came forward then, too. Ginny leaned down to give Louisa a small hug.

“I’ve heard quite a bit about you, Miss Louisa,” she grinned. “You are as cute as I thought you’d be! My name’s Ginny Weasley.” Louisa grinned back at Ginny and then shifted on the bench a little so that Ginny could sit next to her.

Ron, too, had extended his hand to Draco, though with more reserve than Harry.

“Good to have you back,” he’d said. Draco nodded in response, still flabbergasted at the welcome. He watched as Ron, too, politely introduced himself to his daughter. Then Ron and Harry had proceeded to sit on either side of Hermione- flanking her, just like they used to do back in school, he’d mused.

The Thai food had been excellent. He preferred it a bit spicier but was grateful for the meal. He’d tried to pay, but Harry had waved him off, laughing.

“Next time, Malfoy,” he’d chuckled. Draco had wondered when the evening’s surprises would end. This has got to be one of the weirdest nights of my life- and from the sound of it, it’s only the beginning- especially if I’m picking up the tab next time. But he smirked a bit at this thought, knowing he was looking forward to there being a next time.

Dumbledore had finally arrived after they’d finished their dinner. He gracefully stepped out of the Floo, causing Louisa to squeal in joy. She’d jumped from the table to watch the old wizard as he came out of the fireplace.

Before speaking to anyone else, Dumbledore had leaned over to peer at Louisa, giving her a long searching look. Then with a big smile, he reached over and tousled her mounds of brown curls. Draco hadn’t even noticed that he’d been holding his breath until then.

“Louisa Malfoy, you remind me a bit of your grandmother. Yes, you do have some of her in you,” he intoned in a gentle voice. Then he turned to the others sitting at the table. Draco stood up and walked towards his former Headmaster.

“Thank you, sir. Thank you for helping us,” he’d said, looking into those twinkling blue eyes.

“Yes, of course,” Dumbledore replied, pausing to look at each of them in turn. “Well, I’ve really only come by to check in on all of you- and of course, I wanted to renew your acquaintance, my dear Louisa,” he declared, looking back at the child. “Hermione, Draco- I believe that you still have work to do. Harry, Ron, and Ginny, I know that you will continue to help all the young Muggle-borns. I bid you all a good evening. I’m sure that I will be seeing you soon,” he said as he walked back to the fireplace. Then he turned around as though to give a closing reminder.

“Draco, you must, of course, do as you see fit. But I do not think it is safe for you or Louisa to leave this house. I think you must find a way to remove the threat.” With that final warning, he stepped into brilliant green flames and disappeared.

The party had broken up after that with Harry, Ron, and Ginny saying good night. Draco noticed that none of them had asked Hermione how long she’d be before she left for home. He found himself feeling relieved at their thoughtfulness for their friend.

He’d put Louisa to bed after that. The Order headquarters were by no means warm and inviting, but Mrs. Weasley had made a huge improvement, nonetheless. Hermione had shown them to a clean and comfortable suite of rooms. Louisa had fallen asleep almost instantaneously. Draco remained by her side for several minutes, just listening to her even breathing. Finally, when he’d felt his resolve returning, he made his way back down the stairs to the kitchen where he knew Hermione was still waiting- For me- she’s waiting for me, he’d thought.

And now he was sitting across from her, feeling stupid and out of place. He had tried to practice what he’d say to her in his mind. But nothing was coming out of his mouth. His tea had long grown cold. He looked up at her when he heard her movement. She was standing now.

Great, she’s going to leave. We can’t even speak about what’s happened- we’ll never get past this. He was feeling the rise of frustrated emotions again. He needed to say something to her- he needed to explain how he felt and why he did what he did. He needed to tell her so much. But now she’s going- the moment will be gone. He was surprised at his own nervousness. He’d never been one to give into an anxiety attack before- after all he was a Malfoy. He eyed her once more. She was standing still, looking at him.

In one swift move, she reminded him again of why she was indeed a Gryffindor. She’d walked around the table, sat down next to him, and placed her arms around him, drawing him in to her warm embrace.

There were no tears now- just warmth and comfort. Draco turned his body towards her- this time he was ready to return the embrace. He pulled her closer to him, wrapping his arms around her waist. She rested her head just underneath his chin and he leaned into her beautiful brown curls. The sense of homecoming flooded through him again, just as it had earlier when he’d watched her holding Louisa.

For a long time, the two just sat there, sheltered in each other’s arms.

Finally, Hermione leaned away from him, though not breaking out from his arms.

“Draco, we don’t have to talk about this tonight. But we do have to talk soon,” she breathed. He looked deeply into her brown eyes- eyes that were still smoldering with emotion.

“Tomorrow morning?” he whispered to her. She nodded her head, causing a lock of curls to fall into her eyes. He reached over and gently tucked the curls behind her ear, all the while locked in her gaze. Without thinking about it, his hand lingered, and he continued to run it gently through her hair. A tiny moan escaped from her then, and she closed her eyes, leaning her head back slightly, allowing him access to more of her hair.

He returned his hand to the spot just below her ear, at the nape of her neck. From there, he slowly trailed his fingers across her jaw line, and then softly cupped her cheek. She leaned into his touch, her eyelids fluttering open. He could see that her eyes were nearly black now, as her pupils had dilated. With her cheek still in his hand, he gently tilted her face up towards him.

For a long second, he simply looked at her, taking in her darkened eyes, the way her cascade of curls framed her face, her beautiful skin, and her full moist lips. Then, as he’d pictured it a thousand times in his mind, he leaned in and gently placed his mouth on hers.

Slowly, he deepened the kiss, exploring her mouth with his tongue. She responded by bringing her arms around his neck, pulling him in closer. He thought he heard a small moan and then was surprised to realize it was his own. She gently pulled away from him then, still keeping her arms around his neck.

“I’d better be going soon,” she said, quietly. But then she leaned in and gave him a tight hug. When she pulled away, she stood up from the bench.

“I’ll be back first thing in the morning- and I’ll bring some breakfast. We’ll just work here so we can stay with Louisa.”

Draco stood from the table. He didn’t want to lose the moment just yet.

“Hermione,” he said, wrapping his arms around her once again. “Thank you.” He felt the nod of her head even as she rested it on his chest. After a few minutes of silence, he slowly dropped his arms. She gave him a smile and held out her hand. He took it and they walked up the stairs to the foyer. He helped her put on her robe.

With one last brief kiss, he opened the door for her. He watched as she crossed the street and walked into the park. When she ducked behind the shed, he closed the door.

Then he walked back up to his suite. He checked on Louisa one last time before heading into his bedroom. He was barely able to get undressed before passing out on the bed.

That night he slept peacefully.