Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Road by black_ink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“I've always said that in politics, your enemies can't hurt you, but your friends will kill you.”
-Ann Richards


15
A Secret Between Friends

It’s three weeks before Christmas and to Harry that means a week free of classes and free of schoolwork. But the weight of not being able to see the Mirror of Erised has saddened Harry for the past couple weeks. He knew that Dumbledore was trying to protect him. But at least he didn’t have much time to think about it anyway.

Flint was making them practice every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday for hours on end. Every night he came back to the Slytherin Common Room exhausted. And went to the Great Hall ravaged, eating like there was no tomorrow. Some nights Flint would make them go to the Quidditch field for practice at midnight. Harry would fall asleep instantly because he was so tired.

A couple weeks back, Harry had gotten a letter from Hermione, thanking him for talking to Ron. She said that she would watch out for him in Defense class and that her and Ron had started talking again. But as the weeks went on, nothing had even happened. Harry saw them in the Great Hall during lunch and dinner, joking around while talking to Longbottom and a couple other Gryffindors.

As Harry got back to the present, one of his fellow team member called out to him from across the Slytherin table. “Potter, I hope you didn’t forget its Friday. Go get your broom and be at the Quidditch field in five.” It turned out to be Miles Bletchley who had called him.

“Alright. Don’t start without me,” Harry called. He got up and walked out of the Great Hall, making his way to his dormitory. He grabbed his broom that he had out on his bed, since he knew that he would need it, and ran to the Quidditch field.

“Now that everyone’s here, I’d just like to say that tomorrow is the first Quidditch game and we’re playing Gryffindor, like always. There is no way in hell that team can beat us. I have seen the people on that team: Wood, the Weasley brothers, a bunch of girls as their Chasers, and some kid that plays their Seeker. If you have to, play rough, but I know that this will be an easy game. So, let’s get one last practice in before tomorrow. Come on, team!” said Flint, the Captain, as he jumped on his broom and flew away.

The rest of the team jumped on their brooms and flew until they were level with their captain. “Lets make it a good practice. I’ll let the Snitch go for Harry, and then Bole and Derrick you, mates, can practice on the North side of the field, while Pucey, Higgs, Bletchley, and I practice on the South side,” said Flint.

After the others had left to their designated area of the Quidditch field, Flint let the Snitch go. Harry watched it fly away. “Wait a couple minutes before you follow it,” said Flint before he flew away.

As Harry waited, he watched the other member of the team practice vigorously. The Beaters on the North side were hitting the Bludgers to each other and would occasionally make targets with their wands. The Chasers would practice getting the Quaffle in the hoops on the South side, while the Keeper would try to prevent them from getting in. Harry realized that he had waited long enough, and looked around. The Snitch was nowhere in sight.

Harry began flying around because he knew the Snitch would easier to find if he did. He saw the Snitch in the corner of his eye, but when he turned it was nowhere in sight. For some reason, Harry decided to turn around three-sixty. It turned out the Snitch had been behind him, but once he saw it, he immediately chased after it. It was only a foot in front of him. He leaned closer to the broom and it made him go faster. Harry put his hand out and stretched as far as he could. Harry rushed past one of the Chasers and almost knocked him off his broom, the rate he was going. Harry’s eyed were locked on the Snitch, and wouldn’t take them off until he had caught it. He saw himself move closer to the Snitch and grabbed for it. Harry felt the cold metal on his fingers and eventually stopped in the air, holding the Snitch.

“Yes!” Harry said excited.

“Nice one!” said a voice near him. Harry turned to see Flint flying near him. “Just remember that when we are playing the game tomorrow to wait until we get a decent amount of points before you catch the Snitch. But try to keep your eye in it; never lose it. If you do that, we’re sure to win. Practice a couple times before our practice ends. Okay?”

“Okay,” said Harry back. He let the Snitch out of his hand and it fly away.

* * *

They had practiced for hours into the night. They only went in when Snape had come to the field to tell them they had to eat dinner before it was taken away, and that they should get some rest for the game.

They all flew to the ground. “That was an excellent practice. Tomorrow we’re definitely going to win. I have no doubt in my mind. Get some food and rest, and I’ll see you all tomorrow,” said Flint optimistically.

Harry was so hungry, as were the other team members, that he didn’t even bother to put away his broom. They just went straight to the Great Hall. Harry laid his broom against the wall, and filled his plate.

When he had finished he went to the Common Room. Once he walked in Draco, Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle came up to him, wishing him good luck.

“We went to the Quidditch field after we ate dinner to watch the team practice. You all are doing really well! Tomorrow is going to be a good game. I saw Gryffindor practicing on Wednesday and it seems they are pretty good team, too. I saw their Seeker, Harry, and you’re going to have some competition up there,” said Blaise. Everyone knew how excited he was because they all know how much he loves Quidditch.

“I’ve already competed against him. Remember about a couple months ago on a Friday?” asked Harry.

“Oh, I remember. We came out of class and saw you diving for the Snitch against that Gryffindor,” said Draco.

“That’s right! That was bloody amazing!” exclaimed Blaise. “Well, I hope you beat those Gryffindors. I know you can. We’ve all seen you!”

“Thanks, mates. I’m completely knackered from practice, so I’m going to get some sleep. See you in the morning,” said Harry, as he yawned. As he held his broom, he started to walk toward the dormitories.

The others started walking in the opposite direction, but then Blaise walked after him. “By the way, Harry, your owl came and left you a letter on your bed,” said Blaise.

Harry got to his dormitory and walked to his bed. He put his broom in his trunk and looked to his bed. The letter lay on his pillow. Harry saw that the thread, which had been tied to Hedwig’s leg and the letter, lay in untidy mess upon his bed. Harry noticed that the thread seemed to have been untied for Hedwig by someone. Harry picked up the envelope. It most likely came from Ron and Hermione. Well, they’re probably not wishing me good luck.

Harry was about to open the envelope, but he saw that it had been ripped open slightly, and sealed back badly with a spell. The first person that came to Harry’s mind was Draco!

Harry ripped open the letter to see what Malfoy had read.

Courageous,

Haven’t heard from you for a while. We just wanted to check up on you to see how you’re doing. I read your last letter, and will definitely look out for you in Defense class. Good luck tomorrow. Write back,

Cleverly & Humorous

In Ron’s unorganized handwriting, very unlike Hermione’s, were the words: PS-You’re going to need a lot of luck because Gryffindor is an amazing team!

Harry looked over the words. Draco knows I’ve been talking to Ron and Hermione! How could he not? They’re talking about Gryffindor! I’ll have to be more careful concerning Draco and my letters. Harry opened the box on his bedside table and took out the necessary items for writing his next letter. He then jumped up so that he sat on the side of his bed.

Humorous & Cleverly,

I’m dead tired from practice, but I thought I’d write back to you anyway. When I came to my bed to the letter you sent, I found it slightly open. Someone had opened it and badly repaired it when I wasn’t there. I think that it was Draco because he’s been wondering about these letters for a long time. He, most likely, knows that I’m talking to you two. We’ll have to be more careful about what we say in these letters, just in case he decides to peek at one of these letters again. Any road, I’m glad you are both going to watch for anything in Defense class…

Harry stopped writing and thought,I don’t want to tell them about the mirror. But I want to tell them what happened with Professor Quirrel… I guess I’m going to have to make something up.

…A couple weeks ago (sorry for not telling you both sooner), I was walking around the castle, and I ran into Professor Quirrel. We talked about random things, and then he said he had to leave. When he turned to leave, my scar burned again, like it had in those Defense classes. Thankfully, it stopped and Professor Quirrel wasn’t there anymore, but I found it odd that it happened then. Tell me what you two think,

Courageous

PS-You said that Humorous saw the Slytherin team practicing today. Then he knows that the team is good, and we don’t need any luck because the Slytherin team is amazing, as well!

After rereading what he had written, Harry realized that to send the letter, he’d have to go to the Owlry. Just then an owl came into the dormitory; an owl he didn’t recognize. It was dark brown and smaller than Hedwig. It was carrying some parchment and flew to Harry’s bed.

Harry took the letter from the owl and read it. The handwriting was Hermione’s.

Thought you might need an owl, since you wouldn’t want to leave your dormitory. You’re welcome, Cleverly

She’s good. Harry attached the letter he had written to the owls leg, but before sending it off, he wrote on the outside: “Thanks for the owl.”

After the letter was taken away, Harry changed to his pajamas. He got into bed, but couldn’t fall asleep because he was so nervous about the Quidditch game tomorrow. Though he would never have admitted that to Blaise or Draco, or even to Ron or Hermione.

As Harry lay there in the darkness, he heard someone creep into the room. Harry picked up his head slightly, to see that the person was nearing his bed. The person got closer and Harry recognized the somewhat graceful walk of Draco. Draco went to the side of Harry’s bed and leaned over so that only they could hear.

“Harry, I know you’re awake. And I know that you’ve been talking to that horrible mudblood and the Weasley. I’ve told you before that you shouldn’t be talking to them if you’d like to have Slytherin friends. I’m just trying to help you,” said Draco. Harry noticed a bit of sincerity in his voice, but it was quickly gone.

Harry sat up on his bed, “Well, I don’t consider you reading through my personal letters, helping. So, I better not find you reading any of my letters again, Draco,” said Harry in an angry whisper.

But Draco didn’t bother keeping his voice down. “Well, what about the time when you grabbed the letter from my pocket?!”

“I never read it! I just took it out of your pocket. That’s all. This is completely different!”

Draco stood up fully. “I just wanted to find out who you were talking to. Its not like I would actually want to read your bloody letters! As if your letters are interesting!” said Draco rudely. “You can guarantee I won’t be looking through your letters again.”

Draco walked to the door. “Hope you sleep great!” yelled Draco, sarcastically. He woke up Nott who had been sleeping on the other side of the room. Harry heard Draco say, “Bloody idiot” under his breath before he stormed out of the dormitory.


A/N: I know it wasn't much of a fight, but I'm sure they'll have more. Leave a review...
By the way, If you go on my Profile Page then you can see the banner for this story and others!! Hope you like it!!


Preview of Chapter 16--A Fall Downward:
It’s the first game of Quidditch; with people in the stands cheering and complaining, Lee Jordan yelling out the commentary, Bludgers and Quaffle’s flying everywhere, and Harry almost being thrown off his broom twice…