Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Road by black_ink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, ‘Something is out of tune.’”
-Carl Jung


27
Questionable Circumstances

Luckily enough for Harry, someone did push open the painting. He took two steps back and looked around the frame. Though he knew it wouldn’t be Ron or Hermione, Harry wasn’t expecting it to be…

Neville Longbottom. His chubby face peered out from around the frame. “What are you doing here? You don’t belong here,” said Longbottom nervously. Harry knew that Longbottom was afraid of him. His fingers were around the edge of the frame tightly, as he looked out at Harry with suspicion.

“I just need to talk to Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Are they around?”

“Yeah, but…” said Longbottom, somewhat nervous about what to do. Harry saw him look quickly back into the Common Room. “I don’t think I should let you in.”

“I’m not going to do anything, if that’s what your thinking. I just want to talk to them.” Longbottom hesitated, but then he went back in to get Ron and Hermione.

The opening was still ajar, so Harry saw the Gryffindor Common Room: the bright reds that colored the couches, lamps, and almost everything else in the room. There was an amazing fire in the corner of the room and a couple windows to see the snow that was falling lightly outside.

As he looked through the opening, Harry saw Longbottom walk to the two chairs near the fire, where Ron and Hermione were sitting. He couldn’t hear what they were saying because they were so far, but after a moment Ron and Hermione nodded. He saw Ron look to the opening where he stood. Hermione reached into her bag and retrieved a piece of parchment and the white quill; one of which he had.

Longbottom took a couple steps back, his hands at his sides. Ron and Hermione leaned closer toward the parchment, as she wrote something down. In a couple seconds they were done, and Harry saw Hermione fold the parchment twice.

Ron and Hermione got up and Longbottom moved toward them. Hermione motioned for Longbottom to lean closer and she whispered something into his ear. When they moved further apart, Longbottom nodded and Hermione handed him the letter.

His short, somewhat pudgy body made his way back towards the opening in a rushed manner. When he got to Harry he pushed the painting out more, but not a considerable amount more; just enough to give Harry the letter and a few words.

“Hermione told me not to tell anyone about you all being friends. So, don’t worry, I won’t. I promise,” said Longbottom, as he handed Harry the letter.

“Thanks for this and for promising not to tell anyone.”

Longbottom nodded, more to himself than to Harry and then grabbed the painting, bringing it toward the wall.

“Got what you needed, I presume?” asked the Fat Lady. Harry nodded as he looked at the letter in his hands. He took a couple steps away from the Fat Lady, as he unfolded the letter to find out what Hermione and Ron had written.

Harry,

Sorry, but you shouldn’t visit us at Gryffindor Tower. If people see us talking to you too much, they are going to think something is up, and the other Gryffindors might not trust us anymore. I know that you wouldn’t want us to go to the Slytherin Common Room, and have all your friends see us; it’s the same on both sides. Anyway, when I finish writing this I’m going to tell Neville to give this to you, and that he can never tell anyone that we are all friends. It’s depressing that we have to hide it though. Maybe in the future that will change. Write us back,

Hermione & Ron

Harry read the letter over again, walking slowly back to the Invisibility Cloak. “ ‘The same on both sides.’ I guess so,” whispered Harry to himself.

“Lost your way?” asked someone sarcastically. Harry looked up from the parchment to see an irritated Snape standing a couple feet in front of him. “What, may I ask, are you doing all the way up here so far from the Dungeons… after hours?”

“Err… oh. I was sleep walking, Professor,” said Harry, before rubbing his eyes. He brought his hands away from his face to see that Snape was closer now. His face clearly showed that he didn’t believe a word Harry had said.

“You’re up here for a reason, Potter. Don’t be smart with me. Give me that parchment,” said Snape forcibly, as he held out his palm. Harry folded the parchment, but looked at Snape’s hand hesitantly. He then remembered that only the person intended to read the words, can.

Harry placed it in Snape’s hand, and watched silently as he unfolded it and a suspicious look appeared on his face. Snape’s eyes look up at Harry. “What does this say? I know there are words on it.” He said it more to himself than to Harry.

When Harry saw Snape reach into his pocket to get his wand, he took a step back. Snape tapped his wand against the parchment three times and said, “Aparecium!

Harry watched as Snape glanced at the parchment. From the look on his face, Harry could tell that nothing had shown up on the parchment. Snape looked to Harry suspiciously, but then his eyes move to look behind Harry. Harry got the urge to turn around, but resisted it. “Do you know what’s behind you?”

Snape’s eyes looked at him penetratingly as Harry said slowly, “No, Professor.”

There was a pause before Snape said, “Start walking.”

Harry walked past the suit of armor where the Invisibility Cloak was hiding. He knew he’d have to come back to get it, but seeing as he was going to be getting the cloak, he wouldn’t have protection from professors. Snape was walking behind him, probably keeping an eye on him to make sure he didn’t go off somewhere else in the castle.

“Hmm…” said Snape loudly. Harry turned behind him to look at Snape: his right hand was massaging his chin. “I’m just thinking when I should give you detention, Potter. Curious as to when is it, are you?”

“Curious, yes. Are you going to take off points?” asked Harry, as he slowed a little to walk next to Snape. Snape gave him a blank look. “Professor.”

“No because, unfortunately, you’re in my House. But if I catch you walking the corridors again, I might just consider it.”

They walked in silence until they got to the third floor, where Harry began thinking of Hedwig, and of how she got the scratches. “Professor, I was thinking about Hedwig, my owl, do you have any idea as to how she could have gotten those scratches?”

“No. Quirrel didn’t say anything. As of now, don’t worry about it.” Snape didn’t even turn to talk to Harry; he just looked straight ahead.

“But, Professor, she’s in the Hospital Wing. She barely made it to the High Table to give Professor Quirrel his letter”” said Harry, troubled by Snape’s words.

Suddenly Snape turned to face him. Harry stopped in his tracks. “Your owl gave Quirrel a letter?” he asked quickly, looking Harry directly in the eye.

Harry looked at him closely before answering. Snape’s eyes didn’t look menacing, which was odd to Harry, but troubled. “Yes, this morning when she came back,” said Harry slowly. Snape turned back, contemplating something as he began walking again and Harry followed.

They kept walking toward the stairs to get down to the second floor, but came across Quirrel’s office first. Snape stopped at the door, but then turned to Harry with a mischievous look in his eye. Harry stood there and narrowed his eyes, wondering what Snape was thinking.

“Potter, if you please,” said Snape, as he nodded his head toward his direction. Harry walked toward him. Snape lowered is voice, “Go into Quirrel’s office and tell me if it happens to be empty.”

“What if its not? What if he’s in there?”

Snape didn’t answer, but opened the door so it lay ajar to allow Harry in. He looked at Snape for a second, but when Snape did nothing, he decided to go in. Snape closed the door behind him.

Harry walked in and immediately saw that there was no one in the room, but choose to look around before going back to tell Snape. The room was incredibly dim from lack of candles, chillingly cold from no heat, and felt strangely secluded. Harry saw Quirrel’s desk, and walked toward it. He knew that Snape wanted the letter, but he wanted to find it first.

There was nothing of interest on the top of Quirrel’s desk, but a stack of homework from students, a quill, and a bottle of ink. Harry tried the drawers, but they wouldn’t open. “Oh, right.” He pulled out his wand, pointing it at the first drawer and murmured, “Alohomora.” The lock clicked.

Harry looked through all the drawers, but there were no letters in sight. Harry sighed, as he looked around the room. Behind him was a regular wooden chair, but laid messily upon it was a cloak. Harry picked it and searched the pockets. He put his hand into the right pocket, and found the letter.

Upon placing the cloak back down on the chair, he heard a knocking at the door and it opened before he could hide the letter. Snape came in, leaving the door slightly open. Harry held up the letter. “Found what you wanted,” said Harry with a smirk.

“Give it to me, Potter. I should have known you would go prying,” said Snape.

“No, this letter is what got Hedwig hurt. I’m reading it,” said Harry, as he turned his back to Snape. He unfolded the letter.

“Give me the letter, Potter!” Harry heard Snape rush toward him.

“No!” Harry tried to focus on the letter, but because Snape kept trying to grab it, so he couldn’t. “Just let me read it!”

Snape stopped trying to get the letter, and stepped back. He pulled out his wand and called, “Accio Letter!” The letter tugged at Harry’s fingertips, but he couldn’t keep hold of it and it slipped away. As it did, Harry quickly turned to Snape, who had been standing behind him.

“Why can’t I read it?! I deserve to read it!” said Harry, upset.

Snape stood before him, laughing now, as he held the letter. “You deserve to read this? Your petty wants are nothing. But if it will make you feel the tiniest bit better,” said Snape mockingly. Snape held the letter out to him.

Harry was confused now as to why he was letting him read it now and not before, but he realized Snape was playing with him. He grabbed the letter quickly and unfolded it once more. It read:

Quirrel,

For Him, yes. Just be warned that people might be harmed. If you feel no guilt, than neither do I. I will be there on the day you mentioned. I won’t be late I swear to you that.

G.

Harry refolded the letter. I don’t think Snape has any idea what is in this letter. Because I know he wouldn’t have let me read it. “Pleased?” asked Snape. Harry turned to see that he was looking through Quirrel’s desk.

Harry gave him a look. “I think you should read it.” Harry handed him the letter. When Snape looked back up, Harry asked, “Who’s G?”

“Go down to the Dungeons. Mind you, taking any detours will lead you to having detention for a month,” said Snape. Harry saw that Snape had a scared look on his face, which he tried to hide.

“But””

“Go down…to the Dungeons…now!” said Snape fiercely.

Harry stood there looking at Snape, but then turned and walked out, closing the door behind him. Just as he turned the corner, he heard footsteps just where he had been less than a second before. He looked around the corner, and saw Quirrel opening the door to his office.

Harry would have wanted to stay and listen, but he didn’t have his Invisibility Cloak to cover him, and choose to keep walking all the way down to the Slytherin Common Room.


A/N: Did you figure out who G is? Tell me if you do. I was hoping it would be a little difficult to figure out, though.

Preview of Chapter 28”Talk About Letters:
A meeting with Ron, Hermione, and Hagrid get Harry nowhere with the infamous “G,” but Harry goes to detention with Snape in the Forbidden Forest, and there’s something there that shouldn’t be…