Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Road by black_ink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Fear is an emotion indispensable for survival.”

-Hannah Arendt



29
A Disturbance


The months past, none too quickly though for Harry. There was lots of work given by the professors, way too many long and tedious classes, and Snape, who never failed to make his life miserable.

Luckily, there had been Quidditch to ease Harry. The Slytherin team had won all the Quidditch matches, thanks to Harry’s unbelievable quickness on a broom.

The weather had gotten better after March. The dreariness of winter left to become the fresh and gentle spring. Flowers could be found around the castle, planted by Professor Sprout. The Black Lake’s water was no longer black looking, but a deep blue that glistened in the sunlight. Sunlight became an everyday thing, as well.

And as it was now the end of May, it was beginning to get warmer. Students could be seen with cloaks now stuffed into their bags, revealing white collared shirts and open ties.

Back in January, Hedwig had been restored back to health by Madam Pomfrey. And only two days later she was flying happily around.

And after that wonderful detention with Snape in January, Harry had told Draco, Ron and Hermione about it and how they had seen Voldemort in the forest. Their reactions had been exactly what he expected: shock.

Lately, Harry had been thinking a lot about the letter that had been sent by Professor Quirrel to some unknown person and wondered why Snape had been so upset by it. He had heard Snape accuse of Quirrel of being up to something, but what would Quirrel do? Quirrel was afraid of Snape and Harry knew that; everyone knew that. But that didn’t solve the problem as to why Snape was so worried about the letter.

Maybe it has something to do with G. Whoever that person is. I don’t think Snape likes this person. And the letter said that people might get hurt when he or she comes to the school. Just thinking about it made Harry uneasy, knowing that sometime before the end of school, something bad might happen. And the end of the school year was fast approaching.

Harry was walking around the Black Lake. It was Saturday, so he didn’t have any classes and it was right after lunch. Crabbe and Goyle, he knew, were still in the Great Hall pigging out. Draco was probably in the Slytherin Common Room with Blaise. Harry sat at the edge near the water.

A while back, Hermione had the idea that Snape was making Quirrel do errands for him, but hadn’t wanted Quirrel to send off that letter for some reason. She also thought, since Harry’s scar only seems to hurt in Defense Against the Dark Arts, that maybe Snape was making Quirrel hurt Harry.

Harry knew that Hermione’s ideas could very much be true. Snape hated him, so it seemed likely that he would want to hurt Harry. He already tried to cause some damage at the first Quidditch match.

A cloud overhead covered the sun, so the Black Lake no longer sparkled. Someone from behind him called loudly, “Harry!” He turned to see Draco running toward him with a letter in his hand.

Harry stood up when Draco stood before him. “I got a letter from my father.”

Harry looked at Draco oddly. “So? Don’t you get letters from your father all the time?”

Draco nodded his head, but was still breathing hard from having ran. After finally catching his breath he said, “Yeah, well, he says he doesn’t want me to go to dinner tonight.”

“Why?” asked Harry.

“He says…just look,” said Draco annoyed, handing him the letter.

Draco, I can’t write much as I am very busy at the moment. Snape told me how you’re doing in his class. I don’t want you going to the Great Hall tonight, I want you in the Common Room studying. I better not find out that you had dinner tonight.

“Don’t listen to him. He’s not here,” said Harry. He folded the letter and gave it back.

Draco looked at him. “You really thought I was going to listen to my father? I know Snape is going to tell him, but I’ll worry about that later.”

On the way back to the Common Room, they came across Professor Quirrel in the Entrance Hall. Even though they were walking towards each other, Quirrel didn’t seem to notice them. He was looking straight ahead as he walked awkwardly on.

Harry heard him muttering, “Last chance. My last chance.”

When Quirrel had passed, Harry turned to Draco. “I think Snape is making Quirrel do something tonight. Something bad,” said Harry in whisper.

“Seriously, Harry. He could be talking about something completely different, besides what could Quirrel do?”

“I don’t kn”” said Harry. He breathed in sharply, realizing something. “The stone!”

“You think that Quirrel is going to steal the stone for Snape?” asked Draco.

“You know how he’s afraid of Snape. Everyone knows. He probably scared Quirrel into doing it for him,” said Harry.

“But then why would Snape want it? Why would he want to steal it?” Draco asked.

There was a pause before Harry thought of something. “The Sorcerer’s Stone makes a person immortal…it could be that Snape wants to be immortal.”

Draco shook his head. “Doubt it. I know Snape, or at least my family does, and he doesn’t seem the type to want to be immortal.”

“He’s got to be stealing it for something. Or… someone,” said Harry coming to a realization.

“Who?” asked Draco, leaning in closer.

“Voldemort.”

* * *

Hours past on that beautiful Saturday. Harry and Draco were in the Common Room, lying on the couches. They had both been sitting there for a while. Harry looked up at Draco, to see that he was narrowing his eyes at the floor.

“You okay?” asked Harry, still watching Draco.

“I was just thinking…” said Draco. He lowered his voice and continued, “If you think that Quirrel is going to steal the stone for Snape, then we should be ready to stop Quirrel. Once he gives the stone to Snape, Snape’ll give it to Voldemort. It doesn’t seem like a good thing for Voldemort to be immortal. Bring your Invisibility Cloak to dinner tonight.”

Harry nodded and they continued thinking about stopping Snape.

* * *

“Come on, Harry! Dinner!” called Blaise, right before he slipped out of the Common Room.

Harry quickly ran down to the dormitory and grabbed his Invisibility Cloak from his trunk, stuffing it into his pocket. It made his pocket bulge, but he didn’t think anyone would notice.

Once he got to the Great Hall, he saw that it was nearly full of students. He got to the Slytherin table and sat down next to Crabbe, putting soup into a bowl. Beside him he could hear Crabbe chomping away. On his left, Harry saw Draco looking at the Staff Table.

“I don’t think Snape has seen me yet,” said Draco. “But he will and then he’ll tell my father.”

Harry looked to the Staff Table. All the teachers were there except…“Where’s Dumbledore?” asked Harry, looking at the others at the table to get an answer.

Draco, food in his mouth, just shrugged. Blaise, after taking a huge gulp said, “I heard McGonagall say that he left this morning due to something at the Ministry of Magic.”

After some time, Harry saw Quirrel get up from his seat. He nudged Draco in the arm and he looked up, too. Snape, Harry saw, was also watching as Quirrel left the Great Hall.

“Do you think…?” whispered Draco. Harry shrugged his shoulders.

He knew that Draco was going to ask: Do you think he’s going to steal the stone? But for some reason, Harry didn’t think he would do it right now. Besides, everyone had just seen him leave the Great Hall. They would know it was him.

Less than a minute later, Quirrel opened the door to the Great Hall, and came running in with a crazed look on his face. “WEREWOLF! WEREWOLF ON THE GROUNDS!” yelled Quirrel, after which he fainted and fell onto the ground.

There was a split second where no one said anything. It was complete and utter silence. But then the Great Hall became a place of pandemonium. Tons of students were now screaming and running around. The professors were also running around trying to calm the students, but it wasn’t worth it. Everyone was too scared, knowing that somewhere on the Hogwarts grounds, there was a ravaging werewolf.

It didn’t help when the closed Great Hall doors were banged into by something that sounded large and fierce. Everyone heard it, and the room fell silent. But it was a different silence than before. Especially since it wasn’t a complete silence; some students, mostly girls, could be heard sobbing or whimpering.

Harry had stayed against the wall with Draco, watching as the chaos unfolded. He turned to Draco, who was paler than usual. Harry grabbed Draco’s shoulder to calm him, but he knew it wouldn’t help at all.

Suddenly, the doors burst open and a large gray werewolf stood there, his chest heaving. Students began screaming again and started running toward the Staff Table.

McGonagall and Snape threw spells at the werewolf, but he managed to dodge them. Flitwick and the other teachers were getting as many students as possible into the side room.

Impedimenta!” shouted McGonagall, her wand raised. The spell hit the werewolf, but it was only meant to slow him down from attacking other students.

Harry and Draco ran and then crouched down behind the Staff Table with other students. Hermione was crouched down a couple feet away from there, staring at the werewolf in horror.

In the mists of it all, Harry had forgotten that he had his Invisibility Cloak in his pocket and took it out to cover himself and Draco. But as he looked around the edge of the table, Harry saw the werewolf was edging toward a small student with red hair.

Once Harry realized it was Ron, he got out from under the cloak and rushed to the center of the room where Ron was slowly backing away from it.

Harry pulled out his wand and yelled at the top of his lungs, “Incarcerous!” From the tip of his wand, came long, thick ropes that found the werewolf and twisted themselves around the his middle and legs.

The werewolf fell to the floor and cried out in rage, saliva drooling out of its mouth.

“Thank you, Hermione,” Harry whispered to himself. If he hadn’t gotten that book of spells for Christmas, he never would have known that spell. Ron ran over to Harry, hyperventilating.

A ton of students, began inching their way out of the Great Hall, even now, to get away, and they were right to. The ropes from Harry’s wand couldn’t contain him and he sprang up, even angrier than before. It turned around to see the students trying to get out of the Great Hall and followed them with a loud howl.

The students that had tried to get away starting running as they screamed. McGonagall, Snape, and Sprout, as well as other teachers, ran after the werewolf, which had turned to the left onto the grounds. Once the werewolf was gone, the students that were left in the Great Hall began to calm down slightly.

Harry ran back to Draco with Ron right behind him. Even though Draco was invisible, Harry knew he was still there, too scared to move. “You okay?” asked Harry, taking the cloak off of him. Draco was still very white, but it seems that he was better now that the werewolf was gone. Harry put the cloak in his pocket.

“Greyback. Fenrir Greyback. I…I can’t believe he’s here,” said Draco.

Hermione rushed over. “Ron, are you alright?” Ron nodded.

Harry looked to the center of the room, where Quirrel had fallen to see that he wasn’t there anymore. “Where’s Quirrel?” asked Harry to no one in particular. “The stone! We have to get the stone!”

Harry rushed to the doors of the Great Hall, hearing Draco, Ron, and Hermione’s footsteps behind his. He stopped, looking out into the Entrance Hall to make sure that the werewolf wasn’t there.

Draco was the first to catch up to him. “Do they have to come with us?” He nodded his head to Ron and Hermione, who were still catching up to them.

Harry turned to look at Draco. “We might need their help, Draco. You’ll have to deal with it.” When Hermione and Ron were behind them he continued, “The coast is clear. Come on.”



A/N: Congrats to those who guessed that it was Greyback! ~Sara


Preview of Chapter 30--A Sea of Spells:

Down the trapdoor go Harry, Draco, Ron, and Hermione, but it is far from easy. As Ron and Draco try not to curse each other, Harry and Hermione work out the problems that lay before them…