Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Road by black_ink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: This all belongs to the magical J.K. Rowling...

“He that seeks trouble always finds it.”
-English Proverb


iii
A Secret Room, A Bit of Trouble, and Too Much Thought

“Hey, Harry. Wanna check out the rest of this place?” said who Malfoy looked a little too eager to be just roaming around the castle.

“Yeah, sure,” said Harry, slowly. He got up from the bed and walked over to Malfoy. They closed the door behind them. The rest of the Slytherins didn’t even realize they had left, for they were putting up posters on the walls around their beds and rummaging through their trunks.

“Do you know where we’re going to go, Malfoy?” said Harry, curiously.

“Thought we’d just have a look around. And you don’t have to call me Malfoy. Call me Draco.”

“Okay. Just wondering,” said Harry. “Earlier I heard you say ‘Slytherin.’ Did you know that you were going to be put in Slytherin?”

“No one can be completely sure which House they are going to be put in, but my father and mother and most of my family have been in Slytherin,” said Draco.

They were now walking back up the stairs into the Common Room. Draco peeked his head into the Common Room to make sure that no one else was there. “No ones there. It’s all clear,” said Draco. He walked into the Common Room and Harry followed. Draco made his way toward the stone door that leads to the halls of Hogwarts. “Oh. How do we get out of here? Do we need another password? Or did Snape put a spell on the door to lock us in?” said Draco, clearly upset.

“I don’t know. I don’t remember Snape or that older girl mentioning that we needed a password to get out. But I don’t think Snape’s allowed to lock us in,” said Harry. Draco put his hand on door as if he was about to push the massive stone door by himself. But apparently just putting your hand on the door made the door slide open.

“Wicked,” said Draco. They both stepped out into the hall. Harry heard the stone slid back shut.

“My father told me that there is a room somewhere on the fourth floor that only him and a couple of his friends knew about. I thought you and me could check it out,” said Draco.

“Alright. Do you know where on the fourth floor? Hogwarts is, clearly, a massive castle,” said Harry, wondering.

“Calm down, Harry. I know where to go. Just follow me. And try to be quiet,” said Draco.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, Draco. Clearly, he has no idea that I’ve had to sneak around the Dursley house many times. Well, of course he would have no idea.

They walked quickly, but quietly across a couple corridors. Around the corner they could see the stairs. Harry looked around the corner and saw no professors. They walked up the stairs until they got to the fourth floor. They kept walking. Draco stopped at a tall statue of a woman. She was hiding part of her face with a long cloth that covered the rest of her body.

“My father told me that this is a statue of a Roman goddess named Angerona. She’s the goddess of secrecy,” said Draco.

He stepped toward the statue. “My secrets are yours past this door.” Harry saw Draco bow to the statue. The statue of Angerona uncovered the part of her face that had been covered and stepped a bit to the right to reveal a wooden door.

“Cor!” said Harry, in surprise. “That was amazing.” Everything here at Hogwarts has been amazing to Harry, who before a couple days ago, had to live with Muggles. There’s nothing amazing about living with Muggles.

“That’s not the only thing that’s amazing. Come on. I’ll show you,” said Draco. He walked toward the door, turned the handle, and crept into the room.

Draco walked in and Harry couldn’t see him from the hall because it was so dark inside. “Come on, Harry!” called Draco from inside.

“Shhhh,” said Harry as he ran into the room. “Draco, could you be any louder?” Harry closed the door behind him. He turned around to a small room with dark blue walls with candles floating all around. It was like in the Great Hall, but smaller. He saw that the ceiling was gold. Small couches were in random places all about the room in different colors. There was also one large circular table in one corner of the room with incense on it.

“Blimey!” said Harry in awe. “How did you know that this place was gonna be so amazing if you’ve never been to Hogwarts before?” Harry saw that Draco was at the table lighting incense. He turned around and folded his arms.

“My father described it to me. He told me that I had to see this place. He was right, of course,” said Draco.

“So, what is so special about this room?” asked Harry, sitting on a red couch.

“Whenever someone tells a secret in this room, out loud to someone else or by themselves, another candle appears. The candle has the person that told the secrets name on it. So, if I were to tell you a secret of mine, another candle would appear above us with my name on it,” said Draco, who was now looking up at the candles. “Yeah. Well, my father used to come in here with his friends and talk about things they couldn’t talk about in the Common Room. We can always come back here. Let’s keep looking around the castle,” said Draco, heading for the door.

Harry got up from the red couch. “Are we going to anymore secret rooms?” Harry asked jokingly, after slipping out of the room into the corridor.

“Ha…no. No more rooms,” said Draco.

They began walking away, and Harry turned around to look back at the statue of Angerona. She was back to covering her face and the wooden door. He turned back. Draco and him walked back down the sets of stairs to the main floor with the Great Hall, thinking that they were going to go to continue walking to the Dungeons and then on to the dormitories. But Draco didn’t turn the corner that led to the Dungeons.

“Where are we going?” asked Harry.

“Where ever we want,” Draco said, checking the hall then crossing it. Harry wasn’t sure he wanted to follow, but if he went back to the dormitories, he’d just be laying on his bed watching others take out memorable items given to them by their parents. I don’t want to be bored back at the dormitory. Oh, fine. Harry looked at the hall and followed Draco. “Took you long enough,” said Draco, his back to him looking behind the next corner.

They were both looking around the corner, when they heard footsteps from behind them. Harry and Draco turned their heads at the same time to see who it was.

“First day you’re here, and you’re already breaking the rules,” said Snape, coldly. “I’ll have to keep my eyes on you two. Especially you, Potter.”

“Me? Why me? We’re both out here!” said Harry.

“Quiet! Since this is only the first day, I will let you off for now. But if I catch you again, it’s detention,” said Snape, he was only looking at Harry. “Got it, Potter? Now go to the dormitories or I’ll take away points.”

Harry and Draco were walking fast to get away from Snape. Harry turned to see if Snape was looking at him again, but he had already disappeared. Once they were inside the Common Room, Harry asked Draco, “Why does Snape dislike me?”

“He doesn’t. He’s just like that,” said Draco.

“Did you not just see that? He was yelling at me only. It was as if you weren’t even there. He barely even mentioned you,” said Harry, distressed.

“Well, Snape knows my father. I wouldn’t think to hard on it,” said Draco. He began to yawn. “I’m gonna go to sleep. See you.” Harry watched him walk down the stairs until he had disappeared.

Why did Snape dislike me so much? Have I done anything in this past few hours of being here that were so bad? Was it because I was put into Slytherin? Because no one applauded for me like they did for the other first years. I wonder why that was? I want to know what Professor Dumbledore was thinking. It didn’t look like something good.

Harry sat down on one of the green couches next to the fire. He was a bit upset. He thought that coming to Hogwarts would be the best thing for him. He was away from the Dursley’s and that’s how he liked it, but things weren’t going so great here either. And what kind if things did Draco’s father and his friends talk about that they couldn’t talk about here in the Common Room. And how does Draco’s father know Snape? I’ll have to take to Hagrid. I’ll… Harry thought no more on the subject of Draco’s father and secret rooms because he fell asleep on the couch by the fire.


A/N: This one was more exiting, but it gets even better! You'll just have to keep reading to find out... And please review.