Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Road by black_ink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“It is not every question that deserves an answer.”
-Syrus


vi
Answered and Unanswered Questions

Harry wanted the week to go by faster, so that he could talk with Dumbledore, but time seemed to have slowed down just for him. Each class went by so slow; that Harry had to constantly check his watch to make sure that time was even moving at all. But on Friday, Harry was very impatient during Potions. And he guessed that Snape saw this because after class had ended, he asked Harry to clean some other tables, which students had left covered in random ingredients. Harry knew that Snape was making him clean because he hated him. But this just made Harry want to see Dumbledore even more.

“What’s the rush, Potter?” asked Snape, with a smirk. “You still haven’t cleaned the tables near the door.” Snape was clearly enjoying seeing Harry frustrated to get out of the Dungeons. After Harry had cleaned all the tables that needed cleaning, he grabbed his bag and ran for the door, and went to put his books away. He knew he could eat later, so he decided to see Dumbledore now.

But as Harry was walking in front of Professor McGonagall’s classroom, he realized that there was one thing that Harry hadn’t thought about. Where was Dumbledore’s office? How am I supposed to go there, when I have no idea where it is? I can’t ask Snape. I don’t want him knowing that I want to see Dumbledore. Harry was standing in the hall, when Professor McGonagall came out of the classroom.

“Oh, hello, Mr. Potter,” Professor McGonagall said, as she began to walk towards the Great Hall.

“Professor, where is Dumbledore’s office?” said Harry, not completely sure he should have asked. But the words seemed to have flew right out of his mouth.

“You want to see Dumbledore, Potter?” asked Professor McGonagall.

“Yes, I would like to speak with him.” Harry said a little more confident this time.

“Err… alright. I don’t think he’s busy at the moment.” Professor McGonagall began walking and Harry had to almost jog to keep up with her. My god! If this is her walking, I wonder how fast she runs! After a minute, they were in front of a statue of a stone gargoyle. Professor McGonagall muttered, “Butterbeer” and the gargoyle moved aside as the wall divided to reveal magnificent stairs. They seemed to be moving, to Harry’s astonishment, just like an escalator. Professor McGonagall told Harry to jump onto the stairs and after he did, she quickly followed. After some spiraling upward they were in front of Dumbledore’s door, and Professor McGonagall spoke to Harry again.

“Wait out here, for a minute,” She said with a strict tone in her voice. As she opened the door, he saw Dumbledore look up from writing, at Professor McGonagall entering and at him waiting outside. Harry could hear them speaking behind the closed door. But they were talking so low that he couldn’t make out what they were saying. So, Harry decided he didn’t want to try to decipher their mumbles. He leaned against the wall waiting until the door opened.

When the door did open, Professor McGonagall walked out. “You may speak to Dumbledore now.”

“Thank you for bringing me, professor.” Harry gave her a weak smile. She turned and walked away. Harry opened the door to Dumbledore’s office that now stood ajar.

“Professor Dumbledore?” Harry said, as he opened the door completely and then once he had walked through, closed it. Dumbledore was sitting at his desk looking straight at Harry. Harry was now hesitant to continue walking, but he did so anyway. “I wanted to speak to you about some things that have been bothering me.”

He now stood in front of Dumbledore’s desk. “Take a seat, Harry. Alright, what has been worrying you?”

“Well, the first thing that happened that has worried me, was why no one applauded for me, like they did for the other first years. I don’t understand. Hermione and Ron said that it was because I’m ‘The Boy Who Lived’ and that You Know Who was in Slytherin, but how would that effect me?” Harry almost managed to say this in one breath.

“Well, first of all, call him by his real name: Voldemort. You shouldn’t be afraid of a name, Harry; that only makes people more afraid of the person,” said Dumbledore. He stopped and thought for a second before continuing. “Hmm… I see that you’ve become friends with those two from Gryffindor. That interests me…”

“Why does that interest you? I talked to them on the train on the way to Hogwarts and we became friends. But it’s hard to talk to them since they’re in Gryffindor. Draco Malfoy says that I shouldn’t talk to them because they don’t deserve to be here, but I definitely don’t believe that! So, Ron, Hermione, and I communicate through Hedwig, my owl,” said Harry.

“Good thinking. And that interests me, Harry, because both your parents were in Gryffindor and you… you managed to get yourself into Slytherin, which I find unusual, but incredible. But the fact that you are better friends with Ron and Hermione, suggests to me that you really belong in Gryffindor. Did the Sorting Hat say anything about Gryffindor?”

How would he know that? “How did you know that? I thought no one could hear the Sorting Hat, but me? It said that I was the most difficult choice it ever had to make. The Sorting Hat said that I would fit in well in Gryffindor, but that I would go far in Slytherin,” said Harry, as he let go one of his secrets.

“You were the only one that could hear what the Sorting Hat said, don’t worry, but I guessed that it must have said something about Gryffindor. But you are in Slytherin, and yes, Voldemort, was in Slytherin as well. Hermione is right to think that there is a connection between you two, because you are now connected through the night that he killed your parents,” said Dumbledore, who was now twiddling his fingers. Harry supposed that Dumbledore didn’t realize he was doing that. “Other students have probably guessed this, too, Harry, or else they would have applauded for you.”

“But how are we connected through that night. I don’t understand,” said Harry.

“In time, you will come to understand. But for now, lets move on.” Harry didn’t want to. He wanted to know how he was connected to Voldemort, but he remembered something Dumbledore had said.

“Wait? My parents were in Gryffindor? I knew after I was sorted that something felt wrong,” said Harry, the volume of his voice going from loud to almost inaudible.

“Yes, they were, and that’s why it’s a bit difficult to comprehend why you were put into Slytherin. But, then again, you were placed into Slytherin for a reason, Harry.”

“And what reason would that be?” asked Harry, a bit sarcastic.

“Only time can tell, Harry. So, what other things are bothering you?” asked Dumbledore.

“During, my first Defense Against the Dark Arts class, my scar hurt, and I was just worried about that because its never hurt me before,” said Harry, afterwards feeling slightly foolish for bringing it up.

“Hmm… well, I don’t know why it would hurt you. That certainly is something new to ponder about. And don’t worry I will because I’ve never heard of someone’s scar hurting them after about 10 years of healing. But after I think about that for a while I’ll tell you anything that comes to mind. Anything else bothering you?”

“Well… I think Snape hates me,” said Harry, in a completely serious voice that sounded like he was joking.

“Hate, Harry? Hate is a strong word,” said Dumbledore, looking at him intently.

“I know, but every time he looks at me, I can see the anger in his eyes. It was there since the first night I got here. I don’t think I did anything wrong, and yet he glares at me. In class, in the halls, in the Great Hall,” Harry said, as he looked down.

“Well, I could talk to him about that, but I don’t think that would help. That would, most likely, only make it worse,” said Dumbledore.

“Let’s not make it worse,” said Harry, thinking about the way Snape looked at him when he spoke about a killing potion in their first class.

“Well, I can’t tell you the story because, honestly, it’s not my story to tell. But all I can say is that Professor Snape and your father were in the same year, here at Hogwarts. And, I’m sure that tons of people have already told you how much you resemble James,” said Dumbledore. “Well, I’m famished. You go get something to eat, because too much thinking really does wear a person out, and I’ll see you down there.”

“Okay, thank you, Professor,” said Harry, confused, as he got up from the seat and began walking toward the door.

“And, Harry, if you need to talk again, just knock on my door or ask Professor McGonagall or Professor Snape. Well, maybe not Professor Snape. Goodbye, Harry.”

“Bye, professor,” said Harry as he closed the door.

Harry couldn’t stop thinking about what Dumbledore had said about how Snape and his father had been in the same year here at Hogwarts; that both his parents had been in Gryffindor, but he was in Slytherin, which was partly due to Voldemort. Harry thought about this all the way to the Great Hall. He walked in and realized that it was no longer lunch, but dinner. Dumbledore and he had talked for a long time. More people began filing into the Great Hall, and Harry eventually saw Ron and Hermione come in. Harry knew that he had to tell them about what he and Dumbledore had spoken about. As he finished, Harry realized that he never saw Dumbledore arrive or leave the Great Hall.

But Harry knew that Dumbledore was a busy man. As Harry got up, he heard a low voice behind him, that made him turn around, “Tomorrow night, Harry, hope you didn’t forget,” said Draco.

“No, of course I didn’t forget. We just can’t get caught because Snape would murder me on the spot,” said Harry almost in a whisper. The rest of the conversation was spoken at a regular volume.

“I told you not to think about that. He doesn’t hate you. Snape’s just in a nark… all the time.”

“Yeah, I hope your right,” said Harry.

Once they got into the Common Room, Harry walked straight for the dormitory to get his box of parchment. As Harry was leaving the Common Room to go the Owlry, Nott stopped him in his tracks by questioning him. “Harry, why are you always running off somewhere?” This question got the attention of Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and Zabini, as well as some others near them. Harry noticed that they were all looking at him.

“I’m just writing a couple letters,” said Harry quickly.

“To whom?” asked Draco, who was standing next to him now.

“That’s none of your business,” said Harry, as he touched his hand to the stone.

“Well, you might want to get some sleep tonight, as you won’t be getting any tomorrow night,” said Draco in a whisper. Harry looked at him, then walked out toward the Owlry.

As much as I hate to admit it, Draco is right. Tomorrow we won’t be getting a lot of sleep since we’ll be looking for another room, and also be looking around every corner. Yes, there are tons of rooms in Hogwarts, but most have them are probably just empty classrooms. This is going to be harder than I thought. Won’t Draco be pleased?

Harry walked into the Owlry to see Ron and Hermione writing a letter, probably to him. “Oh, Harry! You scared us,” said Hermione. “We were just writing you a letter.”

“That’s funny because I came up here to write you a letter,” said Harry. “I have a lot of information that I thought you two might want to hear.”

“What’s the info about?” asked Ron putting away some parchment.

“Maybe we shouldn’t talk here. Anyone could just come up here and listen. We could go to a deserted corridor on either the fifth or sixth floor,” suggested Harry. “Hardly anyone goes up there.”

“Okay,” said Ron, excitedly, waiting to hear the news.

Once they had reached the fifth floor, Harry began to tell them about his conversation with Dumbledore. “So, that’s what Dumbledore thinks about you being put into Slytherin,” said Hermione.

“Your parents were in Gryffindor and you were put into Slytherin? What happened to you?” said Ron jokingly. He was actually laughing now, and so was Harry.

“Oh, thanks,” said Harry sarcastically, after he calmed down.

“Come on, this is serious. I keep thinking about the last thing that Dumbledore said about Harry’s father and Professor Snape being in the same year,” said Hermione. “And then he mentioned that you look like your father. That leads to nowhere. I’ll need more time to think on it.” Harry and Ron had stopped laughing and were now thinking about Harry’s father and Snape, too. But even with two more people thinking, it wasn’t leading to anywhere.

After an hour of endless thinking and talking that lead to no conclusions, they said their goodbye’s and all departed from the fifth floor.

Harry went straight to the dormitory, he definitely needed some sleep. As he lay down almost drifting into sleep, he remembered what Draco had said earlier about Snape before going into the Common Room. “He doesn’t hate you.” And just then things connected. Snape doesn’t just hate him, he hated Harry’s father, but Harry looks so much like his father, so Snape is taking out his aggression out on Harry. He’d have to write to Ron and Hermione in the morning. Just then, Harry drifted off to sleep.


A/N: “In a nark””in a bad mood. Hope you all continue reading! Review!!