Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Road by black_ink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“It is difficult to say who you do the most mischief: enemies with the worst intentions or friends with the best.
-E.R. Bulwer-Lytton


ix
Afternoon Discussion

For Harry, the week went by pretty quickly. He went to his classes during the day and on Tuesday and Thursday in the evenings, he went to Quidditch practice, which was rough, but he learned a lot from the rest of the team. During Defense class, Harry’s scar didn’t hurt him, like it did during the first class.

Finally Friday came around. While he was eating breakfast in between Draco and Zabini, he heard the post come in. Looking up, he saw tons of owls flying in giving mail to the other students. An owl landed near Zabini and gave him the Daily Prophet, as well as a letter from his mum.

“Can I look at this?” asked Harry, as he held up the newspaper. Harry saw Zabini nod, and he unrolled it, looking at the front page. It read:

Gringotts Vault Burglarized, Stealers Unknown

“Look at this,” said Harry to Draco. Draco leaned in closer and Harry continued, “Gringotts Vault 713 has been found burglarized. Goblins at Gringotts say that someone just over two weeks ago has been to Vault 713. As to who or what has been stolen has not been found out.”

“Odd. I didn’t think anyone could steal from Gringotts, its too protected,” said Draco. Harry handed the paper back to Zabini with thanks and then turned back to Draco.

“You might find that odd, but what I find odd is that I was at Vault 713 with Hagrid before I came to Hogwarts. He said that what he took was ‘Hogwarts business.’”

“Maybe what he took is here at Hogwarts.”

“You think?”

“I’m not sure, but he said it was ‘Hogwarts business.’ And what better place to keep Hogwarts-related things, than at Hogwarts,” said Draco.

“I see your point,” said Harry. He looked across the Great Hall and saw Ron, Hermione, and Neville looking at the Daily Prophet, as well. He knew he’d have to write to them when he got the chance.

* * *

Harry still got glares from Snape, so Harry was happy when double Potions had ended, so that he could go to lunch, and then have that much wanted talk with Hagrid.

As he walked over to Hagrid’s small house by the Forbidden Forest, he had a huge smile on his face. Harry was so happy to be able to have a conversation with Hagrid. He knocked on the door, but no one answered, but he could hear a dog barking in the background. Where’s Hagrid? Maybe he’s behind his house?

Harry walked around the side, and saw Hagrid putting seeds in the ground. “Hiya, Hagrid,” said Harry. “What are you planting?”

“Oi, Harry! I have missed yeh! Feels like I haven’t seen yeh in a year.” He came over and gave Harry a massive hug. He was squeezed tightly in Hagrid’s arms. He finally let go of Harry, and he could breathe again. “O’ righ’. I’m plantin’ pumpkin seeds. For Halloween, yeh know. Let me take off me gloves and I’ll make yeh a cup o’ tea.” They walked through the back door into Hagrid’s little house.

Harry liked it inside. It was crowded because of large objects, but it was still warm and inviting. Harry took a seat on a huge chair with patches stitched into it.

Hagrid began to make tea for the two of them and put out some biscuits. “Harry, how has school been for yeh?”

“I guess, it’s been alright. The classes aren’t that bad. Tons of homework, though,” said Harry.

“Well, then what’s been the problem? Yeh said yeh had somethin’ on yer mind.” Just then the teapot whistled and Hagrid got up from his chair. He brought over two cups of tea.

“Thanks. The teachers are the problem, well…only one teacher. Snape.”

“Snape? What about Snape?”

“He keeps giving me dirty looks, like I did something wrong. I’m not making this up, Hagrid!” Harry saw the skeptical look in Hagrid’s face. “Really!”

“He would have no reason fer hating yeh, Harry.”

“Actually, yes he would. I talked to Dumbledore last Friday; he just gave me a bunch of riddles. But I actually solved it.”

“What did Dumbledore say?”

“He said that Snape and my father were in the same year here at Hogwarts, and then he mentioned how much I looked like my father.”

“They were in the same year here. And yeh do look a lot like yer father. What’s there ter figure out, Harry?”

“I need to figure out why Snape hates me. And I couple nights ago it came to me. It finally connected. Snape hated my father, and because I look so much like my father, I remind Snape of him, so he hates me.”

“Blimey, Harry. Snape doesn’ hate yeh.”

“You don’t honestly believe that, Hagrid, do you? I know that Snape hates me, and you don’t have to believe me. The thing I don’t know is why he hated my father. I asked Dumbledore, but he said it wasn’t his story to tell.”

“I don’ know, Harry. Jus’ don’ go mentionin’ that yeh think Snape hates yeh teh others. That’s not a good idea, especially since yer in Slytherin. Don’ make yer school years harder than it has teh be.”

“I wasn’t planning on mentioning that to anyone, especially not another Slytherin. I don’t want any enemies,” said Harry.

“I know yeh don’, Harry.” Hagrid sipped his tea.

“Hey, Hagrid, did you hear about what happened on Saturday?” asked Harry. He wanted to find out who the teachers thought it was that was in that third floor corridor room.

“Yeah. Professor McGonagall told me that two or more students broke in somewhere,” said Hagrid. Bugger. I thought that Hagrid would give more information.

“What’s in that room, anyway?” asked Harry, hoping he sounded innocent.

“There’s… Blimey! How did yeh know there was a room there?”

Stupid! Stupid! “You mentioned there was,” said Harry, trying to look calm.

“No I didn’, Harry,” said Hagrid, his voice getting strict.

“Okay. I already knew about the room.”

“You know abou’ Fluffy?” asked Hagrid.

“Fluffy? That’s monsters name is Fluffy? It doesn’t look fluffy to me!” said Harry, incredulously.

“Fluffy is not a mon…Wait? How did yeh know abou’ Fluffy?” asked Hagrid.

“Promise you won’t tell Snape or any other teacher?”

“Harry, how do yeh know?!” Hagrid’s face was a bit red.

“Okay, okay! Well… I was one of the students on Saturday that broke into the room.”

“Harry! You’ve only been ‘ere two weeks! And yeh already causin’ trouble!”

“We didn’t plan on going into that room. We were just looking for a room to hang out in.”

“You and who?” asked Hagrid.

“Another.” asked Harry, quieter.

“Who’s the other, Harry?!”

“Draco Malfoy,” said Harry. He said the name almost in a whisper.

“Draco Malfoy! Yeh were walkin’ around the school at night with Draco Malfoy? Yeh shouldn’ be hangin’ around with a Malfoy. Do you know who the Malfoy’s are?”

“No. Not really,” said Harry. “But Draco’s my friend, Hagrid. He may be arrogant at times, but he’s not bad.” He knew that what Hagrid was going to say was definitely something bad because Hagrid leaned in a little closer as if there might be someone listening.

“Draco is probably not a bad wizard yet, but he will be. His father will turn him or, most likely, already has. They’re bad wizards, Harry. His father was a Death Eater.”

“What’s a Death Eater?” asked Harry.

“Death Eater’s are Yeh Know Who’s followers. Horrible people, Harry.”

“Voldemort?” Hagrid cringed at the name. “Oh, sorry. Dumbledore told me not to be afraid of that name.”

“Well, I’d be careful around Malfoy, if I were yeh, Harry. Be careful who yeh trust,” said Hagrid.

“Well, who can I trust? Who else has parents that were Death Eaters?” asked Harry, nervous now at Hagrid’s words.

“No one knows who all the Death Eaters are. That’s why yeh ter be careful.” Harry knew he was really emphasizing this point.

“Well, then I’m glad I made other friends from Gryffindor. Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger,” said Harry.

“O’ yeh made good friends from Gryffindor. Weasley’s are people yeh can trust. Yeh can definitely trust Gryffindors, Harry. Yer parents were in Gryffindor,” said Hagrid, with a cheerful tone in his voice.

“Yeah I know. Dumbledore told me,” said Harry. “Oh! I want to tell you something. In Defense Against the Dark Arts class last week, my scar hurt me. I mean, it could have been nothing, but it’s just my scar has never hurt before,” said Harry.

“It might have been nothin’, Harry. But I’ll talk ter Dumbledore fer yeh, if you want,” said Hagrid.

“I already have,” said Harry.

“O’ that’s good. Dumbledore will probably know.”

“Hagrid, did you see the Daily Prophet this morning?” asked Harry.

“Yeah,” said Hagrid. “It was for Dumbledore that I took the…”

“The what?”

“Nothing. Something that doesn’ concern yeh, that’s what it is.”

“Why is this thing so important?” asked Harry, trying to get more information out of Hagrid.

“The Sorcerer’s Stone is impor… I should not have told you that,” said Hagrid, upset at himself.

“The Sorcerer’s Stone? Is that what the thing was that you took? What’s the Sorcerer’s Stone, Hagrid?” asked Harry, very quickly.

“Nothing,” said Hagrid still mad at what he had said. “I should get back ter tending ter me pumpkins. Go enjoy the rest of yer free day. And try not ter get into too much trouble, Harry.”

“Only for you, Hagrid,” said Harry, sarcastically.

“I mean it, Harry,” said Hagrid.

“I know. And I will. Don’t worry. Bye, Hagrid.” Harry got up and saw Hagrid’s dog asleep.

“Bye, Harry.” As Harry went through the front door, he could have sworn he heard Hagrid say, “But I do worry.” I know you do, Hagrid, and that’s why you’re a good person, but now I have something to I need to tell Draco, Ron, and Hermione.


A/N: Maybe Harry’s instinct to choose Draco Malfoy, as a friend wasn’t so good of an idea. Hmmm? Then why did he defend him? You can think on that, while waiting for the next chapter. And Harry found out about the Sorcerer’s Stone. What will happen next? Review!!!



PS-I've written a couple poems. If you're interested go to the Poetry section (located in General), its called "Recollections."