Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Moments of His Life by LilMissGranger

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Nope! not mine! never has been, aren’t now, never will be!

A/N: Very very sorry for the long wait, things have been quite crazy around here. Over 1,000 reads though, thankee! In this chapter we will explore one of my theories about the veil. Hope you enjoy…

The Choice

As Lily and James stared at the archway, a scroll appeared, suspended in midair, with words forming of their own accord:

To one side, pretended life is found
The other, the unknown realm of death.
Departed, do you return to where friendship and love abound?
The breathing, the living, the moving, the loving
Life.
Or are you bold and unafraid
Ready for the peace of death
After the price you’ve paid?
Death
The choice may only be made by you.
Return to life, embrace death,
What shall you do?


James looked at Lily. “And that means…”

“Honestly, it obviously means that if you travel through the veil, you can ‘return to life’ as a ghost. Or, you can continue down the road to heaven. Actually, I’m quite certain that this archway connects to the Death Chamber in the Ministry of Magic, where they would try to reach the dead. Too bad they can’t reach us so we can tell them anything.”

“Ah,” said James, now that Lily had finished.
I always said she should have been a teacher, sure knows how to explain things in great boring details.”
Aloud, he said, “So, what do you think we should do Lils?”

“I…” she started, “don’t know,” she finished lamely.

“We have to weigh this carefully; this decision is for all of forever,” said James seriously.

Lily bit her lip. “I don’t know, I’ve never really had to make a decision that would bind me for all of forever.”

“Of course you have,” said James lightly, “you agreed to be my wife.”

Lily laughed. “He can always make me laugh,” she thought, and then said with a smile, “Looks like I’m stuck with you.”

“You betcha.”

“Alright then, onto ‘the choice.’ I think we should make up a pro and con list, those always help.”

“Alrighty, let’s do pro’s. Ladies first.”

“Pro: Harry will actually know us.”

“Pro: I can testify that Sirius switched with that bloody git.”

“Pro: We can still be helpful to the Order.”

“Pro: I can tell Harry the 162 ways Sirius and I got detentions and coach him to beat my record.”

Lily raised an eyebrow at him.

“Okay, okay,” James said hastily, “maybe not quite like that. So, now we have a couple of pros. How about con’s?”

“It could be painful for Harry and us; we’re there, but not there.”

“It could be embarrassing for him. I mean, what other kid has survived Voldemort, has a whopping scar on his forehead, and has parents who are ghosts.”

“Many ghosts regret their choice”take Nearly Headless Nick for example.”

“You never get to eat anything again unless you want it to look and smell like Vernon Dursley’s socks.”

“Do you ever take anything seriously?”

“Yup.”

“And what might that be?”

“Loving you.”

Lily smiled inwardly, but rolled her eyes. “Enough of that lover boy. Now, what are the results?”

“Four on either side,” replied James promptly.

“Three, your last ones didn’t count.”

James pretended to look hurt. “So, what’s the verdict?”

“I’m…I’m still not sure,” stammered Lily.

“How about on the count of three, we tell each other our gut feeling?”

“Isn’t the sort of things kids do in about...oh, I don’t know…first year?”

“Yeah, but who cares! Ready? 1”2”3…”

“Don’t go back,” they said together.

Lily sighed. “You felt that way too, huh?”

“It’s for the best,” James whispered.

“Yeah,” said Lily quietly. She still felt upset about not being able to be there for Harry as he grew up. It was like losing him all over again by purposely choosing to stay out of his life.

James seemed able to read her mind because he said, “It’ll be alright, you’ll see.”

With that, he took her hand and pulled her towards the road to heaven, away from that sinister looking archway.

No sooner had they gone a few steps, another scroll materialized in midair. This one read in a formal flowing script:

Welcome to the Road to Heaven

You have two options. Some prefer to be taken immediately to heaven while others prefer to walk the road themselves. If you wish to take option A, take the provided Portkey.


At this, a large winged solid gold snitch materialized.

Or, if you wish continue yourself, proceed past this scroll.


James looked at Lily, the question in his eyes.

“Let’s walk it ourselves,” she said.

“My thoughts exactly,” he replied, and they began to walk past the scroll.

However, as soon as they were past it, another scroll appeared.

“Sheesh,” said James, eyeing the scroll which requested them to sign their respective names with an attached quill.

After they did so, another message formed on the scroll.

Please be aware that you are allowed to return to the world of the living to be of assistance to a living person seven times in the course of all eternity.


James looked at Lily and wiggled his eyebrows.

“Well, Lils, looks like we got the best deal, between the two of us we’re gonna get fourteen visits!”

Lily slapped his arm playfully. Then, hand in hand, they finally started down the long road together.

But the interruptions on the road to heaven were not over for the Potters, for as they walked along slowly two figures came into view. Two figures that Lily recognized.

Mum? Dad?







A/N: Mwahahaha! Another quasi-cliffie! What in the world are Lily’s parents doing there? You’ll just have to find out next time, now won’t you. Was this chapter rather cheesy? James a little immature? Or did you like it this way? In my opinon, their mannerisms should still somewhat reflect those of newlyweds, because after all, they had only been married a year or two before they died. Please review, and constructive criticism is appreciated as well. Thanks to my beta again! :)