Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Why Potter? by JaneA

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2 - Worried


In the Great Hall, as the scared-looking first years got sorted into their respective houses, James and the rest of the Marauders sat there, thinking about what could happen with a new dark wizard. They knew what had happened when other dark wizards were in power, and they wondered if the new one could really be as powerful.

James was watching Lily with her friends Olivia and Alicia. She was laughing about something, and he was thinking how much he adored those dimples of hers when someone bumped into him. Very annoyed at having been interrupted, he slowly turned. He saw Severus Snape wearing a smug smirk on his face. Unfortunately, Dumbledore had started making his speech, so he couldn’t offer any verbal insult. He had his wand, though, and with that he muttered something under his breath, and suddenly Snape’s head started to swell to an extraordinary size. The Slytherin table started inching away from him, until he touched his head and his face became an… unusual color. To his dismay, people started snickering, especially the Gryffindor table. Searching it with his eyes, Snape finally found the Marauders, who weren’t trying very hard to hold their laughter. He looked at James with a look of pure hatred that would intimidate anyone. Everyone except James, that is. He simply smiled innocently, something which infuriated Snivellus even more. Professor McGonagall flicked her wand, and Snape’s head began to shrivel to its original size.

Quickly, after a stern glare to the Gryffindor table, Dumbledore continued his speech. After saying all the usual stuff about the Forbidden Forest, he remained silent. Everyone patiently “ or impatiently “ waited for him to clap his hands so the food would appear on the gold plates, but he didn’t do anything. Finally, he put on a very serious face and drew a deep breath.

“Students, I have to say something that will perhaps upset some of you,” he started. “However, I must continue and announce this. Many rumors have been spreading about the existence of a new dark wizard. Although most of you believe that they are only rumors, that this Lord Voldemort does not exist, or that he isn’t really as powerful as people are saying. I am sorry to say that I do not believe this. Indeed, I have heard the usual rumors. And I believe some of them. I do think that Voldemort will become quite powerful, and that he is gathering many followers who will gladly do his bidding. Do not think that Muggle houses are not in danger. Do not rest in the knowledge that your parents are not wizards, because you may very well be in danger as well.” He made a pause. “The Death Eaters, as they are calling themselves,” he continued, “are doing anything and everything to gather more followers. And it is quite possible that some of us will be singled out. I only wish to say that if this indeed does happen, we will have enough courage to say no to this.” He stopped. The effect was striking. All eyes were on him, not daring to part away, and waiting for what he had to say next. Dumbledore’s gaze went all around the Great Hall, worried. Finally, he said, “And now, let me not distress your first night in Hogwarts in this brand new school year, and move on to a lighter topic: eating!” He clapped his hands, and everyone kept silent for a moment before turning to their food.

Peter was fidgeting with his food, nervous as always. He kept looking at the others to see if they would say anything. As always, he wouldn’t take the initiative to start a conversation himself.

“Peter, would you stop doing that? It’s annoying me,” said Sirius. Peter stopped immediately, only to look even more nervous. “Well, that takes a weight off our mind, doesn’t it?” remarked Sirius sarcastically, referring to Dumbledore’s talk. “And Moony, you really don’t need to say ‘I told you so.’”

“Wasn’t going to,” he replied. “Look at the Slytherin table, they don’t even look worried. They actually look happy that a new dark time is beginning to rise! How could they? They don’t know what we’re in for, they really don’t.”

“You know, Remus, I believe you, completely. It’s strange, though; we haven’t talked it over much at home have we? I mean, you would think this was important enough to talk about in your family, but apparently not,” said James.

“Maybe they don’t want to face it. Honestly, who would want to?” said Remus.

“But if Dumbledore, who is considered the greatest wizard of our time, is so worried as to talk for a whole five minutes about it on the first day back, it’s got to be serious, right? He usually just welcomes everyone back, and gives the whole speech about how it is extremely dangerous to go into the Forbidden Forest, and that anyone that does will be faced with suspension, and so on. Never about something like this. I really believe I might take around ten minutes to think about this…. sometime this year,” he said jokingly.

Remus shook his head reproachingly, and Peter did something between laughing, giggling, and gagging that was quite unintelligible. Sirius looked at him disgustingly, as if unable to comprehend how he could be friends with such a person. Then, they decided to move on to less serious topics, like how wonderful the spell that James had performed on Sirius had been. Fortunately, everyone agreed.

*

As dinner came to an end, Lily got to thinking about how grave the Marauders had looked right after Dumbledore had spoken. It seemed as if they were genuinely worried about this Voldemort.

Well, if they are upset about this, then I guess I should be as well, she thought.
Then, the Headmaster put his hands together, and all the dirty plates disappeared, and made room for, once again, shiny gold ones.

“And with this wonderful food in all your tummies, we go to our dormitories! Off you all go!” he said enthusiastically. Lily grinned and suddenly remembered that she was Head Girl, and was supposed to guide the Gryffindors, along with the prefects. Then, she also remembered that Potter was Head Boy. She was about to go look for him when she received a tap on the shoulder. Turning, she saw none other than James, with a smug look on his face. Exactly the look that she hated, the one that could make her put on her most annoyed face. She tried to put on a nicer face, but her muscles would simply not let her. She gave up trying, and put on, instead, a sarcastic smile for Potter.

“Well, at least you remembered one of your duties. Hopefully this will keep going for some time, at least. Though I won’t expect it, don’t worry,” she said dryly.

“You know, Evans, the faith you have in me is inspiring. It truly is. I wish everyone was that honest and had so much faith in me. The world would really be a better place,” he replied, hoping that would draw a smile from her. It made his day when she smiled slowly, and quickly tried to hide it.

“Well, now that I know you are human and not immune to my charms, Lily, let’s go show these first years their dormitories, shall we?” he said happily.

“What are you talking about, not immune to your charms, Potter? I hate people who think they are better than anybody else, and you are number one on my list!” and with that, she stormed off, leaving a flabbergasted James behind.

Why do I always have to do something to make her mad? It always ends up the same way, always, and I can’t do anything about it!

Why can’t I ever relax around him? thought Lily. It’s not as if he doesn’t try. He didn’t even try to ask me out this time! That should count for something...

~

After making sure the prefects were doing their job, Lily and James headed off to their dormitories. Awkwardly, Lily tried to compose an apology.

“Um, Potter, I’m sorry for what I said about you thinking you were better than everyone. I mean, you do think you are better than everyone, but I didn’t have to say it to your face or anything. Anyway… ok, see you tomorrow,” not knowing what else to say, she made her way to the girls’ dorms. She left James feeling quite better than before. Sure, she hadn’t even called him by his first name, and she wasn’t an expert at apologies, but it was something… wasn’t it?





Chapter 3 teaser:

Should I say yes and make the guy happy? Or should I just say no, as always? Because the only reason I would say yes is because he looks so pathetic and hopeful, not becauseI actually want to go out with him. He also said that I don't make sense when I reject him! Honestly!




A/N: 2/25 - I know I've said chapter three has been in queue forever, but it still is, for a week and a half now. So you see, I'm not lying here, I promise! And do leave a review on your way out please!
~Clara