Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Why Potter? by JaneA

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm sorry for taking so long! It just took me some time to make this chapter perfect. Hope you like it!




Chapter 5 -- Confusion





Remus was getting quite annoyed at Sirius. They – or rather Sirius – were looking for possible candidates for James, and the latter would nudge his friend’s foot under the table whenever a girl would speak, giving him a questioning gaze, to which Remus answered with an irritated frown.





Ever since that conversation in the common room, they had decided to start, already, to look for girls that James might like. What Moony didn’t know was that Sirius would take it to that extent. Even James, seated next to Peter, was looking at them with a funny frown upon his face.





Meanwhile Professor McGonagall was walking around the classroom, giving either advice or words of encouragement to everyone, and looking at the Marauders with – as always – suspicion. When she was back at her desk, she stopped. She cleared her throat, and everyone stopped what they were doing to look at her.





“Well, as you all know, I’m Head of Gryffindor, and it is my job to tell all of you what happens around here, and any important news that you may need to know,” she said gravely and hesitantly, as if she wasn’t sure whether what she was doing was the right thing to do. “Well, some of you may have noticed that we have a new student –“





“Actually, Professor, we have forty-two new students, and twelve were sorted into Gryffindor. Really, we do know that, seeing as it happens every year and all…” Interrupted Sirius very solemnly.





“Mr. Black, you will refrain from interrupting me in order to recite insignificant facts in the future, I hope,” said McGonagall, pursing her lips together tightly.





Sirius looked around indignantly, as if amazed that anyone could have considered his reply offensive.





“Yes, Professor,” he said in mock shame. When he looked up he could almost swear he saw Professor McGonagall rolling her eyes.





“Now, if I may continue,” she said, looking around the room. “We have a new student in the seventh year ,”she said, emphasizing that certain fact. “She’s sitting in this classroom, and her name is Sophie Snow. Miss Snow,” she said uncomfortably, “I’m sorry if I’m embarrassing you in any way, but I feel it my duty,” she repeated, “to tell my students of any news. And I don’t think this has ever happened. Don’t you find it interesting?” She said, asking her class, giving them a cheerful, encouraging look.





Getting no response, the Transfiguration teacher went on. “Miss Snow, would you like to tell your story?” She said, looking at a pale girl in the front of the classroom, who by now everyone had assumed she was the famous Sophie Snow.





“Umm, no Professor, that’s quite all right,” she said, looking rather mortified.





“Well, fine,” said McGonagall, sounding irritated. “But I will tell you this. Miss Snow comes from Beauxbatons, so if any of you want to ask her anything about that, I’m sure it’s fine by her. I hope that doesn’t embarrass you, Miss Snow?” She asked, very innocently.





“No, not at all,” Sophie replied, putting on a forced smile.





“I’m glad, I’m glad,” answered the professor, looking at the black clock on the wall. “Well, class dismissed! And make sure you all make the new student feel welcome,” she said, as if the new student weren’t there. “We’ll continue working on human transfiguration next class, so practice!” She said as the students stormed out. “Mr. Black!” she yelled, making Sirius start to tremble.





“Yes, Professor?” he said without turning around.





“Come here, fast!” Slowly, with a thousand thoughts running through his head, he turned and started walking towards her, putting on his best smile.


Oh, my God, she’s going to kill me and give me a thousand detentions for having made fun of her… Think of an excuse, Padfoot, think of many, she won’t believe them anyways. Verbal diarrhea, Peter, miraculously, learned how to use a wand… I give up, he thought as he was getting closer to the teacher.





“How can I help you, Professor McGonagall?” He asked, hiding perfectly well his fear.





“As a matter of fact, there is a favor I wanted to ask of you. There is no obligation to do it, though I shall be a bit disappointed if you don’t take up this responsibility. I’m sure you had noticed that we had a new student –“





“Yes, about that, Professor, I’m really sorry. I didn’t really mean to make fun of you at all, I was just –“





“Yes, yes, just don’t do it again, and we’ll be fine.”





Maybe she’s bipolar, thought Sirius, surprised. “May I ask why she’s new in her seventh year? That’s a little unusual, isn’t it?” He asked curiously.





“You may ask, seeing as you’ll be involved with her, at least in my class. She transferred from Beauxbatons. Don’t ask why, the details are unknown to me. I believe only Professor Dumbledore knows everything about it. Anyhow, what I wanted you to do is to help her around in this class. The Headmaster has requested it of every teacher, and I think it’s quite a good idea, considering. So, do you accept this charge?” She asked expectantly.





“Umm… yes, I suppose. But I have a question –“





“Not now, Mr. Black, I have an important meeting in ten minutes. You can ask your question later. Thank you for taking this up. Next class, I will assign partners, and, of course, you two will be together. Good-bye.” With that, she left the room, leaving Sirius thinking that it was entirely possible that Professor McGonagall was bipolar.





Once back in the common room, Sirius told the Marauders what McGonagall had told him.





“So she wants you-“





“To help her-“





“With the new student?” Ended Peter.





“And you didn’t ask her why?” Asked James, really confused by what he had just heard.





“I told you, she had to go to some vital meeting, and she just left after she told me this piece of news. It’s really strange, I know.”





“What is the strangest of all – no offense meant, Padfoot, please don’t let this lower your self-esteem – is that she chose you. Forgive me, my friend, but you are not exactly the most exemplary person she could have chosen. Honestly, what are you next to… say, Lily?” He said, looking with pity at Sirius.





“Thank you for that wonderful speech, Prongs. Although I should be letting this lower my self-esteem, I happen to be as shocked as you. I don’t know, maybe McGonagall has taken a special liking to me…,” he said teasingly.





“That is something that not many people would be jealous of,” said James, making gagging sounds.





“Ok, this is getting a bit strange, mind if I change topic? Let’s talk about… say, the new girl, Sophie Snow,” said Remus curiously.





“She’s definitely pale. The name suits her,” joked James.


“Besides that, isn’t it odd that she transferred right on the last year? You would think she wanted to finish it at her school,” said Remus, stroking his chin.





“I suppose she would, but maybe she had no choice, right? I mean, she doesn’t exactly look happy, does she?” Asked Sirius, getting a faraway look in his eyes.





“Who would be happy, after that whole thing McGonagall made her go through today? Would you like to tell your story, Miss Snow? You would think after the fifth time asking her, she would understand that no, she didn’t want to tell her story,” said James, sounding irritated.





“Maybe Dumbledore wanted her to. Everyone knows she adores him and would do anything to please him,” said Peter, trying to fit into the conversation.





“That could be true, Peter. I feel rather sorry for the poor girl,” said Sirius, looking indeed sad.





“No! I must be hearing things, I’m sure. Sirius Black, feeling pity for someone? I’m surprised. What made you say that?” Inquired James, getting warning glances from Remus.





“You know I’m not like my family. And besides, she looked so miserable…,” he said, drifting, somewhat ignoring his best friend’s joke about him.





Meanwhile, the three remaining were giving each other glances of worry.





*


Sophie Snow was having too many thoughts in her head. She had a secret, and keeping it was eating her inside out. What could she do?





Professor McGonagall definitely ruined all my chances of making any friends, she thought. Everyone’s going to think I’m a total freak. And then that other bloke, who kept making all those jokes, thinking he was funny. He and all those friends of his. I can’t believe I was embarrassed like that! she thought again. I mean, really, was there any need to do that? Miss Snow, Miss Snow, tell us about your experience in Beauxbatons, will you? No, I will not! And I know there are people who will make fun of me for my last name and how pale I am!





Just then a girl came into the dormitories, in the middle of that whole thinking process.





“Hi,” said Sophie uncertainly, trying to remember the name of the redhead.





“Hi… I’m Lily, in case you were wondering. And I know your name, don’t worry,” said Lily, speaking fast.





“Oh, yeah, I’m sure you do,” muttered Sophie.





“All right, I have to go, I just came to get this,” said Lily, swinging a paper in her hand. “It was nice meeting you, Sophie. I hope you get used to Hogwarts, it’s really wonderful,” she added as she left out the door.





Nice beginning to a new year, the pale girl thought miserably.





*





“So, thought of anyone?” Asked Sirius, looking around the cozy room.





“Well, I’ve been thinking. You know that new girl, Sophie?” Said Remus tentatively.





“Yeah, what about her?” Said Sirius, almost menacingly, as he narrowed his eyes.





“I think she would make a good candidate,” said Remus resolutely.





Sirius immediately looked up, suspiciously. “And who gave you that marvelous idea?” He questioned. “Is she really James’s type?” He said, as if trying to dissuade his friend.





“Why not? She’s pretty, new, hasn’t had any past relationships here… I definitely think he’d be interested. So what do you think?” He asked at last.





“If you think it’ll work, Moony… I leave it up to you! We all know you’re the brains of all our operations, don’t we?” He said flatteringly, giving a sweeping bow.





~





“Take your places, if you please, all of you!” Said a plump, median-aged man. “Slytherin and Gryffindor, I know it’s hard for you two to get along, but could you please try to behave this time? You should all try to act like Miss Evans more often,” he said, looking proudly at Lily.





“If only we could all act like Miss Evans here, Professor Slughorn! The world would be a better place,” said James, receiving an annoyed glare from the redhead in return.





“There, there now…” Said Slughorn, while screening the students with his small eyes. Suddenly his gaze stopped, and came across the new student, Sophie.





“Well, hello there! Do I know you? You are…” He said, giving her a chance to reply.





“Sophie Snow, sir. I’m new,” she said timidly.





“Yes, I supposed you were the one. Very well, welcome! We shall split ourselves up in partners of two today, class! And no, Mr. Black, you shall not choose them yourself! I will personally tell you who you’re with. First of all, let’s give Miss Snow the special treatment and partner her up first, with… Mr. Snape!” He said, looking at a greasy haired teenager who had been thoroughly immersed in a book. “As one of my best students, you shall be partnered to Miss Snow, and I trust you shall inform her correctly?” He asked, looking extremely pleased with his decision.





“Me, Professor? You’re partnering her up with me? Whatever, I don’t care,” he said, sounding interested in spite of himself.





“Marvelous! Would you mind moving next to Mr. Snape, Miss Snow?” Said Slughorn, motioning for Sophie to move.





Sophie, with the weight of many secrets un her shoulders, looked at the rest of the class, saw every single student looking at her with pity in his eyes, and thought to herself that this couldn’t possibly get any worse.







Here's a sneak peek at chapter six, since I know I'm taking pretty long to update. The chapter is about 60% done. Just hang in there, guys!

“She bravely goes up to him, wondering how someone can possibly have that much grease in his hair, sits next to him, and… smiles? Moony, why the hell is she smiling at him?” Exclaimed Sirius, interrupting his own commentary with startled eyes. “Is there a reason why she didn’t see his greasy hair, the way nobody seems to like him, or how he’s not exactly smiling back?”