Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Why Potter? by JaneA

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm very sorry it took me so long to update. I had a big writer's block, and I couldn't figure out what came next. Tell me what you think!
Chapter 6 – Full of Surprises

“She bravely goes up to him, wondering how someone can possibly have that much grease in his hair, sits next to him, and… smiles? Moony, why the hell is she smiling at him?” exclaimed Sirius, interrupting his own commentary with startled eyes. “Is there a reason why she didn’t see his greasy hair, the way nobody seems to like him, or how he’s not exactly smiling back?”

Everyone else was as surprised as Sirius. The person most surprised of all, however, was Severus Snape. Why is she smiling at me? Doesn’t she know I’m the most hated person at Hogwarts? Better to stay away from this one… Clearly insane, he thought curiously.

He’ll be my partner for the rest of the year, I might as well make it pleasant, thought Sophie.

Sirius watched this all with a curious eye, wondering why each teacher seemed to be appointing a partner to Sophie.

*

Preparing for Transfiguration class later on the afternoon, the four Marauders sat crunched at a table. They were wondering how McGonagall was going to manage being subtle about his partnership, as Sirius liked to call it.

“This is my theory,” he stated. “She’ll say her name first, and then say, ‘Miss Snow, I will partner you up with my best student. It was a hard decision to make, but he’s really the best choice. He will help you with anything you need, and any questions that present themselves to you. Here is Sirius Black,’ and of course there will be applause all over the place. You know, the usual.” By the time he was done, he had a dreamlike look on his face, and it took a lot of self control over the Marauders to keep from laughing. Even then, small giggles managed to come out from their mouths.

Just then, Professor McGonagall walked in, with her usual emerald robes and speedy walk. “Today, as we are still in the first week of class, we will be doing some revision of the most basic things from last year. I trust you all remember them, and if you don’t, hope to have a good partner. Before I give out the instructions, your partners are written on the board,” she said, tapping the board lightly. “Get to them, fast.”

Every name appeared on the board, matched to another.

Right after Eric Lovet, matched to Peter Pettigrew, came Sirius Black, matched to Sophie Snow. That caused quite a stir, but not as much as the next match: James Potter and Lily Evans. Each person paused what he or she was doing, and looked from one to the other. Something quite different from what was expected happened, however. The two people in question locked glances, gave a small nod each, and walked towards each other, getting to work quietly. This show of civility didn’t seem to be enjoyed by the pupils, who instead decided to observe Sirius’s charming non-success with Sophie.

Sirius had stridden over to Sophie confidently, as was his way, and introduced himself. Sophie, as was her way, had extended her hand and timidly introduced herself. Now Sirius really was proud that McGonagall had chosen him as her partner, and decided to do everything he could to not mess it up. Because of that, he was being the most obvious and dim witted comments in his life.

“So I hear you used to live in France, Sophie. Do you know French?” He asked, flinching at his own words.

Now this question really astonished Sophie, having heard that Sirius Black was known for his funny, sarcastic jokes. “Having lived in France my whole life, I would say that yes, I know French.”

That sounded a tad strange to Sirius. Her whole life? Then why was it she didn’t have a hint of an accent? He decided to voice his opinion out loud.

“Your whole life, really? Then how, if I may ask, do you speak English so perfectly?” He asked, formulating his question in a way that might be considered flirting.

“Practice makes perfect, I suppose,” she offered, her tone advising not to persist.

Sirius was starting to think that Sophie Snow was nothing like they had imagined her to be. She wasn’t exactly shy, and she definitely wasn’t James’s type. He would talk to Remus about it. He was startled when she heard the voice of his partner again.

“So is it me, or does no one like Severus?” she inquired curiously, with a change in her tone of voice.

“Well, he’s not very beloved among his fellow students, if that’s what you mean. He can be very… repulsive, sometimes. You did see his hair, didn’t you? And his abnormally sized nose?”

She laughed, making Sirius feel proud. “Well, I suppose he doesn’t make for a very good first impression. Personally, though, I think he could have been much worse. And I’m not about to start judging people I don’t even know yet. Especially when I’m new here,” she said reasonably.

“Not even someone who is called Snivellus to his face?” asked Sirius shamelessly.

Allowing a small giggle, Sophie responded, “Snivellus? Very creative, but no. Not even someone who is nicknamed Snivellus,” she said in between laughs.

Neither of them was aware that they provided an entertaining picture, the tall boy and the petite new girl, both with alarming black hair, to the rest of the class.

*

Meanwhile, the other couple was waiting quietly for Professor McGonagall to speak, and was enduring a bit of an awkward moment.

“May I ask what you’re thinking of with such a solemn face, Miss Evans?” asked James teasingly.

“I was thinking that Sirius and Sophie seem to be having a good time,” she said seriously, sparking from her reverie.

James started to answer but was cut short by Professor McGonagall, who had begun to give out directions.

“Today we will be reviewing human transfiguration. It’s important, which is why I want to make sure you haven’t forgotten. If you have, I want you to practice until you have it perfect. You should know that it will be crucial for your N.E.W.T.s,” she said gravely. “Learn it.”

Being reminded of the N.E.W.T.s so early in the year put everyone on their toes, and they started to practice fervently. Soon enough, they were turning each other into rabbits with wings before they knew it.

James and Lily just looked at each other for a second, and then shrugged.

“What animal would you like to be, Evans?” asked James, wondering what she would choose.

“An owl, I suppose,” she replied, after pondering about it for a few seconds.

“Wise animals, I hear,” said James.

With a lazy flick of his wand, Lily was turned into a reddish brown colored owl. She flew around the room for a minute or so before settling down on the table again. She nodded as a sign to James, telling him she wanted to be turned back.

James concentrated for a moment, looking as if he were trying to remember the spell. When he finally looked reassured, he flicked his wand once again, and looked. Nothing had happened. Glancing at the rest of the class with horrified eyes, he turned back to the owl that was slowly beginning to burn holes into his eyes. He smiled at her charmingly, rotated his wrist with energy, and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, not only was Lily still transformed, Professor McGonagall was also standing in front of him, and every pair of eyes in the room was watching him.

“It seems you have encountered a problem with Miss Evans, Mr. Potter. Do you care to explain?” McGonagall asked coolly.

“You see, Professor, it’s really quite easy to explain. I would like to clarify the situation, but I feel it would get Miss Evans here a bit nervous, don’t you think? But I’ll tell you anyways, don’t worry,” he said as he watched McGonagall’s mounting anger. “It’s simple, really. I tried to turn her back, and it didn’t work. Who would have said, huh, Professor?”

“What could you possibly mean, Mr. Potter, you couldn’t turn her back? You turned her into an owl, and couldn’t turn her back to her normal self?” she asked, getting irritated.

“That seems to be the problem, yes,” replied James easily. “I’m sure that a person with your remarkable capabilities would be able to turn her back. Am I right, Professor?” he said, attempting to hide the concern in his voice.

Professor McGonagall pursed her lips, pointed her wand at owl-Lily, and said Animalis Verto! Everyone waited expectantly for several seconds, just to see nothing happening.

“I’m sorry, Miss Evans. I seem to be unable to turn her back as well. Mr. Potter, since you are the one who turned her into this… state, you will be responsible for taking care of her. Eventually, hopefully soon, we will find a solution for turning her back. I would like you two to go see the Headmaster. Maybe he’ll tell you what you can do. For now, I can’t tell you anything else you can do. Good luck to both of you,” she said finally.

Everyone could see, in James’s face, a look of pure shock and embarrassment. And if anyone could have defined Lily’s face, they would have seen the same look.