Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Last Crusade by Horax

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:

Snowyhedwig112 Has been a wonderful help, without her help I would have not finished.

Snowy has an upcoming J/L one-shot is great, I hope it gets posted." 'cause it's still pending.

Sorry it has been so long.

Will Hermione find more than sand? Will Ron and Harry discover clues that later will be very important? Put on your house robe, lite the and enjoy. Read close there is much more in the text than you might think?

Hermione had never seen so much sand in her life. She had already spent two days searching for anything that might be of some help. So far, the only thing she had found was a spell on how to change bread into frogs. She was able to keep herself looking by remembering that not everything would be easy to find.



Hermione decided to go on a Witches and Wizards tour of Egypt, hoping she could get some ideas from it. As the tour began she wondered if what Dobby had said about witches and wizards coming from the east long ago was true. Perhaps carved stones, markings and old letters put these spells on paper, because the wizards had wanted them to be found in the future.



Hermione began to look for written clues as to where the spells would be. Her studies over the years had shown her that if she looked long enough, she would find what she was looking for.



The next day she moved on to a more promising location.



Harry and Ron were up early the next day. They washed and dressed quietly before heading downstairs.

After a good breakfast, they resumed their search of the house where Harry’s parents had died. Ron said they should also look for hidden rooms or small places in the walls where something might be hidden. Harry simply nodded in agreement.



When they entered the house, they saw again the memories they had seen last night. They both agreed that this had to mean something. They searched into late afternoon, with little success. They had begun a search of the large fireplace in the living room, going over it brick by brick. One of the bricks seemed out of place, and he used the fireplace poker to pry it from the rest.



He pulled out his wand, tapped the brick, and said, “Luminous.” Inside was a small chamber just large enough for some letters, a scroll, and what appeared to be a small book.



“Come down Harry, I found something,” exclaimed Ron with excitedly. Just as he was about to stick in his hand to retrieve the papers, Harry yelled not to.



“It could be a trap, let’s check it first.” Harry raised the fireplace poker and put it in the hole. A wall of flames appeared, where Ron's hand would have been. “Jeez, Harry. Thanks,” said Ron, “that might have been my hand in there.”



Taking some more bricks out, they opened a much larger space to explore safely from.



When they had cleared enough bricks away so they had a clear passage, they gently removed the book, papers, and letters from their hiding place.



Harry gave Ron the book to look through. Harry took the letters, and went through them one by one. The first was for Lily Evans from James Potter. It was about how James had felt like such a fool around Lily, asked to be forgiven, and if he could take her out. Another had Lily saying that they could go to Hogsmeade the next weekend, but that if he behaved badly she would never go again.



Harry put the rest in a pile and pocketed them. He could not help but feel that they were not for him to read, but kept them.



There was also a book that had some spells and formulas for spells. “I think this book was my mother’s,” Harry said.



Seems to me that, I’ve seen some of these before, Harry mused as he flipped through the pages. He would look at it later when he had more time, he thought, while giving book back to Ron for safekeeping.



“Well,” said Ron. “We found more that we thought we would,” his eyes on fire with excitement. “This ring,” said Harry, taking it out of his pocket, “Maybe it’s a horcrux. Someone brought it here. Maybe my mum and dad knew that it was important, so that’s why they took steps to keep it out of others’ hands.”



“Well,” Ron thought out loud, “Then we’d have to destroy it.M



“Maybe we don't,” said Harry. “When we get back to the inn, we’ll try to figure this out. Guess we better get back to the inn. It’s getting dark, and I don't think there’s anything more here anyway.



Ron was out the door in a flash. Harry followed him, thinking about why those clues were left for them to find. But he was no closer to an answer than ever. They walked down the tree-lined lane, both lost in thought.

“You know what, Harry?” Ron exclaimed. “I really miss Hogwarts. Why, we could have been Quidditch champions, I might have been Head Boy, and here we are hunting down clues about Voldemort’s weakness. Of course, it could be worse, think of having every class with Snape,”Ron said, grinning.



As night approached, they carefully began to walk down the main street, heading for the inn.



“Ron,” said Harry. “Don't turn around; just keep walking slowly toward the inn.”



Ron was about to ask why when he turned around and saw Harry was already gone. Without a sound, he apparated behind the mysterious cloaked figure. Without words or wand, he used the incarcarous spell. The figure fell to the ground soundlessly. Harry pulled back the hood and saw bubblegum hair instantly knowing that it was Tonks. Ron ran over and saw her hair as well, even in the dark.



“What are you doing here?” asked Ron.

“Well, I was watching you both to see you were ok,” she replied innocently. If it had been anyone else, Harry would have been very angry; but how could you be mad at someone with pink hair?



“Are you ok?” said Harry.



“Yeah,” said Tonks. “I’m a little embarrassed though. I’m supposed to be watching you, and you cast a spell on me. I didn’t hear anything, great work Harry.”



“Seeing how rudely we treated you, why don’t you come with us to dinner?”



.Her hair changed from bubblegum pink to blond in and instant, so as not to attract stares in the Muggle world.

During dinner, Tonks discussed with the two the happenings back at London.



Even though, they had only been gone for a few days, a lot had happened already. There had been no murders, but two shop owners had mysteriously disappeared. No one knew if it was Death Eaters, or just the desire of the shop owners to save their skins. Everywhere in the Wizarding world, people were just scared. Tonks said that the Ministry was taking special precautions to make sure that there would be no problems at Hogwarts. About half of the students were returning; the others would be staying at home.



“How’s Professor Lupin?” Ron asked.



“Oh, he is fine,” Tonks smiled.



You could tell by the expression on her face that their relationship was going well.



“Tonks, we want to thank you for the Order’s concern for us,” said Harry. “But this is something we must do. Tell Professor McGonagall that we don't need anyone watching over us. We may, when the time is right, ask for help. Until then, please don’t follow us.



Tonks said she would relay the message to Professor McGonagall, and asked them to please be careful. After that she walked out of the inn, and was gone. A little while later, they finally went up to their room. Sitting on their beads, they began to think about what they had found: the book, the letters, and the scroll.



“If you are the heir of Gryffindor, then maybe that ring is for you. Maybe it’s not a horcrux, perhaps it’s a way to help us find them,” said Ron in a very approving tone. “We might be destroying something that will help us?”

Harry had to agree that Ron had made a good point. Hermione would probably find more information about an heir, if there were such a thing.



“You did that spell without a wand or using words, right?” Ron Asked.



“Yeah,” said Harry.



”Blimey, she didn’t stand a chance, and she’s a pretty good Auror. Maybe we do have a chance after all,” commented Ron.



Harry smiled, “Yeah, I sure hope so.” At that they changed and went to bed.



When they woke up the next morning, they decided that they would go to number twelve Grimmauld Place to continue their search. Hopefully, Mundungus hadn’t already stolen everything. The locket they couldn’t open was first on their list. After that, they would begin the search for the other Horcruxe,s.



Even after all the work Mrs. Weasley and the others had put into number twelve Grimmauld Place, it still had the look0ld, dark, depressing place.



Hermione hadn’t been anywhere near as successful as Harry and Ron. She had spent all this time searching, but nothing to show for it. She spent several days at Uruk in southwestern Iraq. It was, in its time, the gathering place for the most powerful wizards of the age. They had transformed a part of the desert into a beautiful garden. That magical place was long gone, and all there was left were some old pots and broken pottery. She missed Ron and Harry, feeling that somehow that her thought process worked better when they were around. Two more days passed before it was time to head back to number twelve Grimmauld Place.