Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Holiday Pointlessness by the nutty imp

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kreacher, not like a Christmas Song!



Marianne always did have a sunny disposition. She was an Asian girl - small for her age, but what people noticed about this particular little girl, was neither her size, nor her exotic features. Marianne was born blind. She cannot see, yet she was never one to complain. This little girl was never seen without her loyal dog, Chester.


Now, it's common knowledge that blind people always did have keener senses than us normal folks. This was to compensate for their lack of sight. Marianne was no different.


There was this one particular street that she usually pass; people said that there’s nothing there, just an empty alley. Yet, each time Marianne walked past that alley, she felt a shadow, as if a tall house stood on that narrow alley. Whenever she brought this up, everyone would dismiss it as a child’s wild imaginings. However, this child never wavered from her belief.


One cold day in December, she chose to visit the strange house; the house that those with sight cannot see. She wondered if she was crazy, yet she had to try. Should there truly be an invisible house - she was sure that the occupant or occupants would be lonely. It was after all Christmas, she could at least try to reach out and give a bit of Christmas cheer.


She stood alone on that empty street. It was strange how this particular area felt colder than any part of the street. She closed her eyes and sang:


“Said the night wind to the little lamb,
Do you see what I see? …”


The single occupant inside 12 Grimmauld Place was not happy. He had checked the wards and was sure that everything was in place. No one was supposed to see the house, most especially this Mudblood child. Kreacher checked his mistress’s portrait; relieved was the elf that the irritable painting remained asleep. An elf’s hearing was obviously keener than that of a magical portrait.


Kreacher would not like for his mistress to wake up. She would be displeased. Kreacher had watched over the house and her portrait ever since she passed away. Kreacher was most loyal to his mistress. Kreacher would not want her to be upset.


“Do you know what I know?...”


Kreacher has had enough of the filthy Mudblood. He marched up front and flung the door open.


“Go away filthy Mudblood! Mistress does not like Mudblood near her beautiful house.”


She blinked and then smiled; because now, she knew that she was right. There was indeed a house in this so called empty alley. She could tell that the shrilly voice in front of her, came not from a large man.


“In this alley, some felt an unnatural fear,
However, most said that there’s no house here.
But I always knew that this place held more,
And here you come, to open that door.

This is the season for giving,
So to those forgotten, I offer my singing.
Songs help spread the Christmas cheer.
I thought, this gift, those lonely would hold dear.

Merry Christmas! I’m Marianne, Marianne Fong.
I thought you’d enjoy a little Christmas song.”


Kreacher was surprised. Most Mudbloods would have ran away. This strange and filthy Mudblood child just stood there with her equally filthy dog. Kreacher does not like this at all, his eyes narrowed towards the lewd pair in front of him, and shouted:

“Kreacher, not like a Christmas song,
Kreacher, not like you, Marianne Fong.”


Marianne was unused to such hostility, yet she remained undeterred. She gave Kreacher her best smile and chatted amicably:

“My, you’re awfully crabby.
Perhaps it’s because you’re lonely.
Would you like me to sing inside the house?
Perhaps a song about Santa Claus.”


The one who fiercely guarded the door, remained hostile; his shrilly voice echoed through the empty street.


“Not in the house.
Especially no Santa Claus!
Kreacher, not like a Christmas song
Kreacher, not like you, Marianne Fong.”


Marianne blinked in surprise. She had thought that the occupant would be lonely and would appreciate this little gift, but obviously the occupant was grouchier than anyone she had ever encountered. Because it was Christmas, she once again tried:


“If you don’t want me to sing for you in there,
I don’t mind singing for you out here.”


Kreacher had no patience left for this filthy Mudblood. He once again screamed at her.


“Kreacher, not like you here or there.
Kreacher, not like you anywhere!
Not in the house.
Especially no Santa Claus!
Kreacher, not like a Christmas song
Kreacher, not like you, Marianne Fong.”


The door slammed shut with such a force in front of Marianne’s face, beside her Chester whimpered. She patted her dog and allowed him to lead her away. Maybe she’ll try again next year, or maybe not. She turned around the corner and decided not to give the odd man named Kreacher another thought. She was sure that there would be plenty of other people in this street who would better appreciate her songs.


Inside 12 Grimmauld Place, Kreacher was almost smiling. The demented House Elf was glad that he had gotten rid of the Mudblood; moreover his mistress’s portrait remained asleep, none the wiser of the recent event.


As he walked towards the more shadowy corner of the house, he muttered to himself. “Kreacher watches over the house well; Kreacher keeps Mudbloods and Blood Traitors away from mistress’s house.”


-The End-


A/N - ^_^ If the rhyme sounds somewhat familiar, its because I patterned it from Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham".

Originally a submission for Challenge # 6 (The Angel Challenge) for the Winter Snows Holiday Challenge of 2005.