Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Always and Forever by jamesnlilyforever

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Wow, this chapter wasn't supposed to come out this late! I really am sorry! I know I promised you that I would update faster than usual and I intended to do that. But, it got rejected the first time. So I made all of the corrections but I couldn't send it in again. I don't know why but I think something was wrong with the way my chapter was formatted. So that took a few more days to take care of. And now, here I am, typing this author's note, and hoping that you don't hate me for not sending this in on time... sorry? =/ Well, at least this chapter is really long, right? *Looks around hopefully* I don't really like the ending but I think the rest is okay. I hope you like it!! =D
Free brownies to everyone!! [] [] [] =)
Lily woke up when she suddenly felt a bright light filling up the room she was sleeping in. Slowly, her eyes opened and, immediately, a massive headache overtook her. On top of all of the pain she was encountering at the moment, she had no memory of where she was or why she was there and she had a terrible feeling that something was wrong. She guessed, because there was a Hogsmede trip the night before, she had a late night, passed out on her bed, and her roommates decided not to wake her up, leaving her laying there, exhausted. But nothing she could have done would have made her feel as horrible as she did at that moment.


With a start, she looked around herself in shock and confusion, realizing that something was amiss. Rather than being in her own bed, in her own room, she was sleeping on a cot in a room that she had never been in or seen before.


Terrified, she searched around for her wand, hoping that she would think of some sort of spell to help her figure out what was going on. Even though she didn’t know what was happening, she still had a faint memory of the night before, and remembered holding someone’s hand that made her feel safe and warm right before she blanked out. For the moment, that feeling of safety and warmth was the only thing she could cling to, and she did so, desperately as she continued her search for her wand.


She looked up, once more terrified, when she realized that she had just heard someone chuckle. The sight she saw scared her so much that she was not even able to scream. There was a tall man standing in the doorway looking smug and laughing at her. But what scared her most was that on his left arm, there was a tattoo-like mark that looked like a snake and seemed to have been branded there. Instantly, she recognized it as the ‘Dark Mark’ that all of the newspapers had been warning wizards to watch out for.


Involuntarily, she flinched back on to the wall behind her and reached toward the right pocket of her robe, where she almost always placed her wand. Noticing the lack of the wooden rod, she started to inch farther and farther toward the wall until her back was completely covered by it.


The man, though, hadn’t moved much, other than to shift his weight from one foot to another. But when he saw her notice him and move back, he began to speak.


“What are you looking at you filthy Mudblood?” he asked in a harsh and cruel voice.


Lily, although fully able to speak again and willing to yell at the man for being rude, decided not to speak in an attempt to stay out of trouble.


“Well, are you going to talk or are you too stupid?” he asked narrowing his eyes and moving closer to the cot she was sitting on.


Once again, though, Lily chose not to speak. Although, now, she hoped that there wouldn’t be a punishment for not talking.


“I should have known that a Mudblood like you wouldn’t be able to talk,” the man said to her.


Lily was incredibly confused. She didn’t have the strength or ability to try and figure out where she was or where her wand was while the man was still in the room. She decided that since the man didn’t know whether or not she could speak, she could use it to her advantage. If she kept quiet, he wouldn’t be able to get anything out of her. He could, however, torture her until she told him, but that was a thought that Lily immediately forced out of her mind.


She tried to make herself look as confused and afraid as she possibly could which wasn’t particularly hard, considering how confused and scared she already was.


With a sudden snap of attention, she realized that the man had started speaking to her once again, and she listened to him while trying to make it seem as though she didn’t understand.


“...searching for you. But what do you care? I bet you don’t even know who is out there looking for you,” he said, glaring at her coldly.


Lily just continued to give him the same blank stare that she had managed to contain for the last fifteen minutes or so of her conscious thought.


He too, stared at her, but he was searching her face to look for traces of understanding.


“Stupid Mudblood. Why should I waste my time watching over you? You’re too dumb to do anything, I’m sure. And you don’t even have a wand. I’m getting someone else to do this brainless job,” the Death Eater said as he got up and stormed out of the room.


As soon he was out of the room and slammed the door, rather loudly in Lily’s opinion, she felt as if she were free to think through what had happened.


‘But first, I have to figure out where I am,’ Lily told herself as she got up and walked around the room.


She slowly and cautiously walked toward the door, careful to make as little sound as possible as she walked across the hard, stone floor, she slightly pulled the door open.


‘Please don’t squeak, please don’t squeak,’ Lily hoped as she began to slowly push the door further outward.


Once there was a slit about the size of her eye between the door and the wall, she put her eye to it and peered out.


Terrifed, she pulled the door shut, without making any noise in the process and ran back to her cot. Outside of her door, she had seen a room that was loud and contained many Death Eaters. And sitting in a seat in the middle of all of those that were in the room was a masked and hooded figure that they all seemed to be idolizing. A chill went up her spine when she heard him speak and realized who it was that was sitting in the large chair. It was none other than Voldemort.


‘Okay, it is okay. Everything will turn out alright. Nothing’s going to happen to me...,” Lily thought trying to comfort herself but ending up making herself even more scared.


‘All I have to do is figure out where I am, how I got here, and how I’m getting out. Yeah, that’s all. Nothing much...’


But that annoying voice in the back of her head that never left her alone piped up , ‘Oh right, Lily. There is nothing to be afraid of; just a couple dozen Death Eaters and Voldemort . It’s nothing that you can’t handle right? You can beat them all in your sleep.’


‘No!’
Lily told herself fiercely , ‘I just have to stay calm figure out what happened.’


She then sat there, pulling out the fibers of the itchy cot as she thought, and began to figure out what exactly had happened. There were only bits and pieces of what happened that she could figure out. And those few things weren’t very important, in her opinion. For one, she realized that she had talked to James but she couldn’t remember what exactly they had been discussing. Another thing she remembered was that she hadn’t had a chance to go into The Three Broomsticks.


She was so frustrated at herself for not remembering anything significant that she nearly screamed in anger when she suddenly remembered where she was sitting.


‘I have to stay calm!’ she mentally yelled at herself, trying to do what she was telling herself to do.


Exhausted, she fell back on to the rough pillow on the itchy cot and closed her eyes. Although she wasn’t planning on falling asleep, she did. And, through her dream, she remembered what happened just before she was taken away from Hogsmede, which, for some ‘odd’ reason, was nearly exactly what James had remembered as well.


..... “Evans, we heard Snape say something about the ‘Dark Lord’. If that isn’t bad, what exactly do you think it is?”


“They could have been talking about anyone, Potter!”


James looked at her as if she was insane and then let her continue walking, “Oh yeah, there are tons of people going around and calling themselves the “Dark Lord’. You are making perfect sense, Evans. How could I even
think that what they are doing is wrong?”


“Okay, so what do you propose that we do?”


“Well, I was thinking that--”


Seemingly from out of nowhere, a loud shriek erupted. Without thinking about what she was doing, Lily grasped James’s hand.


“Potter,” she said her voice faint, “What was that?”


“I- I think the answer is right behind us, Evans,” James said as they both turned and faced the direction that they had just come from.


Lily saw James’s face turn fearful and noticed his grip on her tighten. She then saw how James pushed her behind him, probably trying to protect her, and remembered how safe she had felt behind him.


She felt a pang in her stomach when she saw herself acting brave and taking her wand out, remembering that she had thought that she didn’t need James’s protection.


‘And now comes the part where James and I are going to send all of the students out of the area and a thick fog is going to prevent me from seeing where James goes,’ Lily thought, thinking almost exactly what James had thought when he was reviewing his memory time after time.


Suddenly, Lily saw something that she had a hard time believing. Lily was surprised to see Julie Edmonds at the scene of the crime. For some reason though, she saw that she looked as though to be in a lot of pain.


‘What is going on here? Is Julie the girl that everyone heard screaming? That doesn’t make any sense!’ Lily questioned herself.


It was then that she realized what that the sooner she could find Julie, the sooner that she could start getting some answers.


The only question now, though, was how to get out of somewhere that, to her, seemed to be nowhere she had ever been before.



After a few more minutes of dreamless sleep, she woke up, and realized that she had been sleeping for a long time. It was already dark outside, which was the only thing that she knew for sure. The light that had been bursting through the tiny window at the top left side of her room was now completely gone.


Hoping that no one would come into the room to check on her, Lily attempted to move the cot away from the wall and toward the window. After a few minutes of groaning and pushing, Lily successfully pushed the small, but heavy cot underneath the window. At least, what she hoped was the window, as she couldn’t see anything because of the amount of darkness.


She then got on top of it and stretched her arms up as high as they would go. Unfortunately, she was still too short to reach up to the window. With one powerful jump, she managed to grasp onto the ledge. Using all of the strength she had in her arms, she was able to just barely get her eyes to the very bottom of the window.


Once Lily saw what was through the window, for what seemed like the umpteenth time, she nearly screamed out in terror.


‘What kind of sick person would want to live here of all places?’ Lily thought to herself.


“Alright, I will!” came a man’s voice from right outside of the door.


‘Oh no! No, no, no, no, no!’ Lily thought, ‘There is no way that I can get this thing back to the wall before he gets back in here!’


Hoping with all her heart that he wouldn’t come in for at least a few minutes, Lily began to shove the cot as quickly as she could back to its original spot.


With a sense of terror, that never quite seemed to go away, she saw the doorknob start to turn and the door began to open slowly.


But thankfully, she heard what, at the moment, was the sweetest sound she could have heard.


“If you don’t hurry up and get over here right now, you lazy old coot, I’m going to tell Lucius the real reason that Narcissa was at---,” a different voice started.


“Shut up!” he half whispered, half yelled.


After another few, seemingly useless minutes of incredibly difficult effort, Lily had pushed the cot back to its own spot. She then proceeded to fall backward on to the uncomfortable and itchy spot and attempt to sort out her thoughts.


‘Who in their right mind would get a spot in a graveyard? Oh right, Voldemort would. But why do I have the feeling that I’ve been here before?’ Lily thought, determined to figure out what was going on.


But after what seemed to her as many hours, she decided to label the cause hopeless and closed her eyes, hoping to at least find a time to sleep. She was hoping that maybe her dreams would allow her to stumble onto another lost memory. After all, she had nothing to lose and, she thought it would be safer to be asleep the next time the man came into check on her than to be awake and afraid.


~~~~~~~


Although the frigid night air was stinging her cheeks and hands, Nicole hardly noticed. The only thing she could think about was how happy she felt walking along side Remus as the two made their way along the front of the school.


Winter was approaching fast and only a few fall leaves remained on the ground, as if waiting to be crunched. A gust of cold air flew by and Nicole, remembering how much Lily loved the fall and winter weather at Hogwarts, immediately started worrying about her again.


“Remus?” Nicole asked.


“Mmm?” Remus responded.


“Do you really think that Lily is going to be okay? I mean, I know that Dumbledore said not to worry about it, but I still feel as if I shouldn’t be happy until I’m sure that Lily is alright and taken care of. Instead of answering my questions, everyone I ask keeps avoiding them and console me as if I don’t have a right to know what is going on with my friend,” Nicole half started to yell to Remus, stopping her slow walk and staring above her.


Remus inwardly sighed, ‘The one time I am alone with her when we both seem to be happy, the topic of Lily just has to come up.’


Regardless of how he felt, he knew that Nicole was still healing from what happened, “I think the reason that no one is answering your questions is that they don’t know the answers, either. I wish I could tell you that Lily will be alright, but I can’t. I don’t know what is going to happen to her and there is no way to find out but to figure it out. And at the moment, there’s not much we have to go off of.


Nicole stared at Remus and felt tears forming in her eyes. ‘It’s not fair that I should get to be happy and spend time with Remus while poor Lily is Merlin-knows-where, scared to death with no one there to comfort her. I don’t deserve to have Remus here, and Lily shouldn’t have to be trapped away. She didn’t do anything wrong!’


Without thinking through was she was about to do, Nicole engulfed Remus in a tight hug and began to cry as though she had never cried before.


‘Poor Nicole, she shouldn’t have to go through this kind of pain. Something has to be done. We’re all going to have to help James find Lily before it’s too late,’ Remus thought.


“I know you don’t want anyone to comfort you, but would you mind, just this once?” Remus asked, smiling down at Nicole’s tearstained face as he gently pulled her away.


“Oh, Remus,” Nicole said, giving him what would have been a smile had she not been so sad.


Together Remus and Nicole walked back to the large castle, both hoping that Lily would soon be safe, and thinking of ways to get her back.


~~~~~~~


“This just doesn’t make sense! It’s not like James to do this kind of thing,” Sirius muttered.


“I know what you mean. He would have at least left us a note to tell us where he was going to be before he left for so many hours like that,” Arielle said.


“Are you sure that you didn’t see him at dinner?” Sirius questioned Arielle.


“No, Sirius,” Arielle said, slightly irritated by Sirius’s attitude, “As I have told you for the last hundred times, I did not see James at dinner.”


Sirius, noticing the look of annoyance on Arielle’s face, felt even worse, “Look, I’m sorry. It’s just that, after this whole kidnapping thing with Lily, I’ve been pretty paranoid. And you know how much James loves Lily. I keep thinking he’s going to go after her. I mean, what if he already did and he got caught by some Death Eater? He’s like a brother to me. I can’t let anything happen to him.”


Arielle sighed, and stroked his hand, “Don’t worry,” she joked, “Not even James is stupid enough to do that without telling anyone, and definitely not without telling you.”


Sirius smiled which was something that he hadn’t been able to do for the past few hours because of his constant worrying, and felt a little better.


Arielle looked over Sirius’s shoulder at the large grandfather clock that was placed directly above the fireplace.


“Oh my gosh, it is one in the morning and Nicole and Remus are still not back? I always thought that Nicole would do something like this,” Arielle said, smiling proudly.


“Yeah, I wonder where those two are,” Sirius said.


After a little bit of silence, Sirius and Arielle looked at each other, scared.


“You don’t think that something happened to them, do you?” Arielle asked Sirius, hoping that he wouldn’t agree with her.


“I would lie, but I do think something happened,” Sirius said, once again afraid for the safety of his friends.


“I’m sure they are fine. They are probably just sitting outside somewhere... I hope,” Arielle said before she and Sirius both got up and started sprinting out into the corridors.


~~~~~~~


“Thank you so much, Remus,” Nicole said as the two of them quietly made their way up the stairs to the seventh floor where the Gryffindor common room was located, “I honestly don’t know what I would do without you.”


Remus, thankful that it was dark, blushed and answered, “Don’t mention it.”


The couple continued to head toward the common room. Thankfully, they hadn’t heard anyone else around the area, and wouldn’t get into any trouble for being out after hours.


Then suddenly, they heard footsteps, and very loud ones, as if whoever was behind them was running.


“Remus! Nicole!” Remus heard the voice of Sirius whisper angrily, wagging his fingers accusingly at both of them.


“Where have you guys been? We’ve been worried sick about you,” Arielle added sternly, her hands placed on her hips.


As soon as the two realized what they had been doing, they got out of their odd positions and began to walk with Remus and Nicole toward the Fat Lady’s Portrait which, thankfully, was only a few feet away by that time.


“Details tomorrow missy,” Arielle said in a sing-song voice, loudly enough for only Nicole to hear.


“I want to know exactly what happened,” Sirius muttered, heard only by Remus.


Remus, Sirius, Arielle, and Nicole all muttered the password, pushed the door open, and headed up the stairs to their respective dorms.


~~~~~~~


All he felt was pain. Pain worse than anything he ever thought was possible. Every bone in his body felt as if it was broken and he could hardly move a finger without hurting himself somehow. It was cold, wet, and James was scared beyond belief. Every other second, a drop of water would fall onto his head, causing him to shiver. His legs were pulled up to his chest and his arms were wrapped protectively around them. Regardless of how warm he tried to make himself feel, he was still freezing.


What he felt was even worse was that he didn’t know where he was. There wasn’t a single thing around him that could help him figure it out. All he could gather from his surroundings was that he was in a rather large cave. Helplessly, he stood up and decided to search around for something that would make some sense to him.


After about thirty minutes of searching, he realized that he was stuck in the cave, with little to no hopes of ever getting out. Once again, he plopped down onto the cold, hard cave floor and began blowing his hands in an effort to warm himself up a little.


“This is ridiculous! I am not just going to sit here and admit defeat!” James yelled aloud, frustrated at being so powerless. He jumped up from his uncomfortable position and stuffed his hands into his pockets, wishing his wand would be in there.


“That slimy git, Snape. This is his fault!” James roared, anger taking over, “If it wasn’t for him, none of this would have happened. I would have been in the common room with my friends, all of us safe, including Evans. But no, he had to go and, and, and do THIS!”


Getting much of his strength together, he kicked at the rock walls, hard, causing more damage to his foot than to the rock.


“What ever happened to ‘believe it or not, I’m trying to help you’?” James mimicked Snape’s voice, as he limped around for a few seconds.


“There has to be a way out. After all, I came in here so there has to be some sort of opening around here,” James reasoned out, trying to regain his calm.


He leaned back and allowed himself to support himself against the rock while he thought.


“Ow,” he muttered, rubbing a spot around his stomach, through his robes. As he did this, he felt a hard object against his shirt.


Confused he lifted his robe a bit to reveal a glittering object. Although he was wishing for his wand to be sitting there, he was relieved to see that Snape had not thought to search his robes for this.


He pulled out a small mirror, about the size of his face, and began talking, “Sirius Black!” James yelled into the glass, “Sirius, you answer me right this second. You better have this on you! Sirius! Padfoot! I’m not just joking around here right now. I’m in trouble. I’m trapped someplace and I don’t know where it is, so I need your help! Sirius!”


After a few seconds, James grew anxious. What if Sirius did not have the two-way mirror with him? What someone had heard his screaming and it fell into the wrong hands? While these questions were swirling around his mind, he didn’t hear the voice of his best friend answer.


“Prongs, mate? Are you still there? What’s wrong? James!” Sirius bellowed.


James immediately snapped out of his thoughts at the sound of Sirius’s yell.


“Sirius! Sirius!” James said, tears threatening to fall from his eyes, “Something is wrong. I don’t know what happened but I know that Lily is in dire trouble. And so am I. Snape trapped me in this cave and I don’t know what’s going on. You’ve got to help me. Fill Remus and Peter in on this too, they need to know.” James said all of this very quickly and his voice was shaky, due to the tears.


Sirius, however, understood everything that his friend told him, “I’m with Remus and Peter right now, Prongs. They already heard everything you said.”


“Here’s what I need you to do. Get the Marauder’s Map out of my trunk and see if you can spot me on it. If you can, then come over here, wherever here is, and get me out. But be extremely careful when you do. I’m pretty sure that Snape is either right outside wherever I am being held captive, or else wandering around the castle, searching for you, Lily, or me.”


“What if you aren’t on the map?” James heard Peter’s timid voice ask.


“I don’t know...” James’s voice trailed off, helplessly.


“Take the mirror and move it around the area that you are in. We have to be able to see where you are if we want to save you. We might even be able to recognize the place you’re at,” Remus told James.


James doing as he was told, panned the mirror around his surroundings.


“It... it seems familiar to me, for some reason,” Remus muttered, sounding confused.


“Keep thinking on it, Moony,” Sirius said, eagerly.


After a few minutes of hard thinking, Remus snapped his fingers and a weary smile plastered itself onto his face.


“I’ve been there before!” Remus said.


“What do you mean by you’ve been there before?” Sirius asked Remus, his head cocked to the side.


“Well, once, back in fifth year when I first became a prefect, Dumbledore told me to help Hagrid with the detentions. So I took a few second year students around that area, telling them what to do while Hagrid went the other way. Since I was supposed to be watching them, I decided to sit down somewhere nearby. I found that cave and sat down right at the opening of it,” Remus explained.


“So there is an opening. Do you know how to get me out of here Moony?” James asked, hopefully.


“Not just by looking around you because the whole cave looks like that. I’ll have to go over there myself and take a look to find you a way out.”


“That’s great, Remus!” James shouted happily.


“I’ll go with you, Remus. You know, for backup,” Sirius declared. The two turned and looked at Peter expectantly.


“What?” he squeaked.


“That’s okay, Worms. You can be on the lookout. Make sure that no one comes looking for any of us three. And if Snape comes by, pretend you don’t know anything about the situation. And keep a constant watch on the Marauder’s Map to see if any of us are on our way back, okay?” James told Peter, trusting him.


“Okay, I won’t let you down Prongs,” Peter said, with no intention of keeping their secret.


“Keep the mirror near you, Prongs. We might need to talk to you,” Sirius told him as he and Remus started preparing to find James.


Remus, finishing well before Sirius, ran to James’s trunk and retrieved the Marauder’s Map. Although he knew that the location was in the Forbidden Forest, meaning it had to be on the map, he wanted to check to look for directions.


Confused, Remus kept staring at the part of the map where he knew the giant cave was sitting.


“Sirius?” Remus called.


“What? Are you ready?” Sirius asked back.


“Come over here.” After a few seconds, Sirius stumbled out of the bathroom, tripping over himself as he threw on his robe.


“What’s wrong?”


“The place where James is isn’t on the map, that’s what’s wrong,” Remus answered, a little bit annoyed.


“Well, you know the way, right? So it won’t be that hard to find where he is.”


“You don’t understand, do you Sirius? He is in the Forbidden Forest and we included that on the map. If it is not showing something is either wrong with the map or someone is not letting us see where he is.”


“But that doesn’t make any sense,” Sirius said confused.


“Exactly,” Remus muttered.


Remus began quickly walking out of the room, and a confused, and still a little tired, Sirius tried to catch up to him.


~~~~~~~


Severus Snape was making his way along one of the many seventh floor corridors when he finally stumbled upon the portrait that would allow him to enter.


“Password?” the Fat Lady asked, giving him a look that showed that she clearly did not trust him.


“I’m not going to go in; I’m waiting for someone to meet me. I wouldn’t go into that foul common room if it was the last place on earth,” Snape announced, glaring at the portrait.


“Well!” she exclaimed, annoyed and shocked by the rudeness of the person in front of her.


She turned to the side and went back to her original pose, ignoring Snape. After a few minutes, the door burst open and Snape was pulled inside the room.


“Peter Pettigrew, what took you so long?” Snape asked, brushing non-existent dust particles off of his robes.


“S-sorry. I had to- to wait until Remus-Remus and Si-Sirius w-were g-gone for sure,” he stuttered.


Snape glared at him and walked toward the right hand side of the common room and began to walk up the stairs, “And stop all that stuttering of yours.”


Peter realized where he had gone and hurried to follow after him.


Once they were both in the dorm room, Peter began telling Snape exactly what had happened, from the time that they all realized that James wasn’t here, or coming back, to when Sirius and Remus left to go find James.


“I’ve been tracking them on the map but, I can’t seem to find them right now. They should be on the map because Remus said that they were going into the For-Forbidden Forest but-but I can’t see-seem to find them,” Peter concluded in his stuttering speech.


“Hmm, yes, he did do a fine job of making that possible, didn’t he?” Snape questioned Peter, not expecting an answer, as he started at the map.


“You mean Sirius, James, Remus, and me?” Peter asked, proud, thinking that he meant the map.


Snape looked up and rolled his dark, hate filled eyes, “No, not you, you dimwit. I meant the person who modified the map to not show where that Potter is being held captive and anything within a ten-mile radius of him.”


“Who did that?” Peter asked, once again when he wasn’t supposed to.


“Never mind that!” Snape yelled, losing his cool, “I’ve found out all I need to know.”


He then got up and began to leave the room, leaving a confused Peter behind, wondering if he did the right thing.


~~~~~~~


“We should have brought the invisibility cloak,” Sirius hissed at Remus.


“I already told you that I couldn’t find it,” Remus whispered back at Sirius.


Sirius continued following Remus through all of the thorny bushes and trees toward the way that Remus thought was the cave. After several minutes, Sirius began to complain, once again.


“Moony, are you sure this is the right way? I mean we’ve been walking forever already! What if you forgot the way and we aren’t even walking to the right place? Why would Hagrid take you out this far anyway? Wouldn’t you have stopped somewhere close to the school? Are you even---”


“Do you want to help James or not?” was all Remus said to cause Sirius to stop talking for nearly the rest of the way.


After a few more minutes of fast walking, avoiding large animals, and trying not to bump into trees, they could see the outline of the large cave.


Sirius suddenly stopped and pulled Remus back with him, “We have to tell Prongs where we are so that he’ll be ready to get out of there as soon as we find a way.”


Remus agreed and Sirius pulled out the two-way mirror.


“James, James!” Sirius whispered as loudly as he dared.


“Sirius, Moony, is that you?” James asked, also whispering.


“Yes, we are really close to where you are. We wanted to tell you to be ready because we are going to try and get you out as fast as we can,” Remus explained to James.


“Alright, just be careful. I don’t want anything happening to you two as well,” James told them, hoping they would listen, “If you see any indication that it isn’t safe to come get me, turn around and run as fast as you can back to the castle.”


“Don’t worry, James. We’ll be careful,” Sirius promised.


Sirius put the mirror away and he and Remus continued walking, at a much slower pace than before, toward the cave.


Both of them had their wands out in case of emergency, and both hoped that they wouldn’t need them to duel.


Sirius was walking back to back with Remus, checking that no one was coming from the back and right, and Remus from the left and front side.

“Ow! Remus, why’d you stop?” Sirius questioned as bumped his head against Remus’s due to his abrupt stop.


“Look to you left,” was all he said.


“Bloodly hell,” Sirius muttered. Next to him, were close to two dozen Death Eaters all of them ready to duel.


“If I don’t get out of this, tell Arielle I love her,” Sirius mumbled as he and Remus started thinking up spells to use as the Death Eaters began forming a circle around
them.


“Same to Nicole,” Remus said, as the first spell was shot.


Sirius and Remus began fighting more than they had ever fought before. Spell after spell were lighting up the forest and also scaring the two seventh years forced to combat them.


Somewhere in the cave that he was sitting in, James knew something had just gone terribly wrong.