Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Selena Anarya by Miss

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 2: A Beginning In Understanding.





Hermione




I remember the day this all started as clearly as if it was only yesterday. I wouldn’t have believed it if anyone had told me where I would be today, or that day, for what it matters; I didn’t even believe what was happening that first day until I saw the truth with my own eyes the day after. No, I would have laughed, thinking about the non-existing possibilities of this situation becoming a truth. But now, looking back on it all…I believe everything, every little detail engraved in my mind. I wouldn’t want to change a thing. I’m glad I was able to help and become part of all this, part of this secret, this new family.

It all started the day after our final NEWT exams. Two weeks of some of the toughest exams I had ever sat through, and coming from me, Hermione Granger, the smartest witch of my generation, that is saying something.

Everyone was in Hogsmeade celebrating the end of the exams, the end of seven years studying together. Knowing we would soon say goodbye to each other, we wanted to spend every last second celebrating together, just being together and not think of the day that we would have to say goodbye. We all wanted to keep in touch and were already making arrangements to get back together again. But at the moment, I was late and about to go meet up with Harry, Ron and Ginny and join the celebrations. That’s how it all started, with me being late and rushing out of the Entrance Hall.

There was a reason I was late that day, why I was still in the castle instead of being at the Three Broomsticks with a Butterbeer in my hand, talking with my friends and having a good time. Sticking to the little traditions that had become my own these last seven years, I had slept in a little on the first morning after the exams. Afterwards, again as usual, I had written a letter to my parents telling them how my exams had gone and then taken a long luxurious bath. I loved these little moments alone, thinking about how I had done in the exams in peace and quiet, before letting it all drift away from me until I would receive the results. It was probably 1:30 pm when I headed down to the Entrance Hall; I thought the castle was empty, my thoughts would soon be proven wrong.

Right as I was about to exit through the great oak doors and into the sunny grounds of Hogwarts, Draco Malfoy walked in and we literally crashed into each other. For a moment we were both stunned to find another person inside the castle. As we were both scrambling to get up a few seconds later, the blow I was waiting for fell and I was ready to defend myself. I just never came around to the defending part.

“Watch where you’re going, Mudblood!” It didn’t hurt anymore, not after so many years of hearing it and not actually knowing what it meant, the first time he ever called me that in second year. When I looked at him, glaring as usual, I instantly knew something was out of place. I knew he was trying to glare at me too, but his cold grey silver eyes were missing the usual manic glint he wore especially for me. I didn’t know what to make of it; he looked different, almost…sad. Was it possible that maybe not everything in the life of the Great Draco Malfoy was perfect?

“Are you all right?” The question scared him off. To be honest, it scared me too, but I’m not the kind of person to kick someone who is already down, I was and am a Gryffindor, and it felt like he was already down, no need for further kicks. He seemed to be in pain and the offering of kindness was all I could do, it was the right thing to do. I guess his answer scared me just as much as my previous response had scared him.

“Fine, Granger,” he muttered, and then practically fled from the light in the Entrance Hall, through the heavy black doors into the darkness of the dungeons. I stared at the doors for a moment, feeling slightly awkward that he had let me go so easily, without more verbal abuse. Something must be wrong, for him to not only let an opportunity to insult me go by, but to be friendly instead. I was stunned, even if it was only for a moment.

I turned away from him and was almost outside, deciding to let Malfoy be if I could, when I noticed some parchment on the floor. I was still more in thought about the strange situation I had just been in than anything else, so I thought nothing of it, just a spare piece of parchment until I actually touched it. I picked it up and instantly wanted to drop it again, a huge amount of concealment magic resided in this parchment and I felt as if it would burn my fingers. I kept it carefully in between my fingertips and turned it over a couple of times, actually surprised that it hadn’t gone up in flames already.

At first it appeared completely blank, but then slowly words started to appear, the burning sensation disappeared when the letter had finished revealing itself.

It was obviously a letter. It was a female kind of handwriting that I was not familiar with.

I instantly knew it belonged to Malfoy, even with the Black crest on the outside and before I read his name, but I was too curious. I was attracted by the strength of the magic and the sadness of the letter, the same sadness I had seen in his eyes. I started reading. I was almost in tears and at the end of the letter when the black heavy doors to the dungeons swung open again. Malfoy responded before I could even think of what to say to him. I saw the pain and sadness more clearly this time. I felt sorry for him, it started at that moment. I knew what I had to do, even if the consequences of my actions were completely unknown.

“That’s personal, Granger! Accio letter!” As I pushed the tears away from my eyes, I saw he was glaring at me, for real this time, including the manic glint. I could see the anger in his eyes as the letter flew out of my hands and into his outstretched ones. Anger…and still, there was that sadness deep inside of him. And the pain, there was so much pain.

I did the only rational thing that came to mind; the thing I usually wanted Harry and Ron to do whenever we were about to land ourselves in another crazy adventure. I somehow had to convince him to come with me; I had to get him to the Headmaster before he did something rash and stupid.

“Follow me, Malfoy.” I knew there was a look of concern on my face when I said it, concern with a bit of sadness in my eyes, but I had to use all my strength to keep it there. I was no Slytherin with the perfect mask for every occasion, no bit of Malfoy or Snape in me.

He looked at me with pure disbelief all over his pale face, a little less Slytherin himself at that moment. I would have giggled, had the situation been any different. His response, a tad slower than normal, was, however, as expected.

“I don’t follow orders from a Mudblood like you, Granger.” He gave me the famous Malfoy smirk and I knew he was about to stalk off to the dungeons again. My mind was racing, even more than it usually would. It seemed he still had his mask but I was slowly breaking through it. Thinking about different methods I had used on my friends, taking into account the Slytherin in Malfoy, depending on my own Gryffindor courage, I decided that the truth and my reasons for it would be the only thing left now, the only way to break the mask. All I could do was hope that he would listen to my words.

“I’m sorry for your loss, Malfoy, but it seems that you need to make an extremely important decision.” I looked at him in what I hope was a sincere way, thinking I needed to sound fair and rational at the same time as well. “Since you also seem to be in no condition to make any decision at all, I’m taking you to the Headmaster.” I turned away trying hard to still keep my face in that sincere but otherwise impassive expression, I walked up the stairs. I softly sighed in relief when I realised that he was actually following me.

He took no notice of me when we were walking. I knew his mind was racing, thinking of that letter and what to do, even more so than me. He didn’t notice me giving the password to the ugly stone gargoyle either. “Sherbet Lemon.” The Headmaster used that password at least once every year; he loved that particular piece of candy. We stepped on the rotating staircase together, which slowly took us up to his office.

Right before knocking on the door, standing just outside the office, I carefully placed my hand on Malfoy’s arm. This seemed to bring him back to reality a little; at least he was willing for a moment to look into my eyes. I looked deeply back into his silver eyes; they already seemed less distant, less cold.

“I will keep your secret.” I poured every bit of honesty into those few words and he seemed to notice. I felt there was nothing more I could do for him, keeping his secret as promised was the least.

“Thank you.” I was about to walk away, startled that he had actually said those words and, by the look in his eyes, meant them, when the Headmaster’s voice reached me. I hadn’t noticed him opening the doors. I turned back to him, listening to his words, but keeping my hand on Malfoy’s arm a moment longer.

“Miss Granger, will you please join Mr. Malfoy and myself in this conversation. I think Mr. Malfoy can use all the help you can offer him. Since you are already aware of his situation this will, of course, include your silence.”

I took my hand off Draco’s arm, was it Draco now, or perhaps still Malfoy, and instead I searched his face, his silver eyes, looking for a sign that he wanted me there as well. When he gave a slight nod, the only thing I could find, we both walked in and settled ourselves across from Albus Dumbledore. I didn’t look at the Headmaster, all I wanted to do was comfort the person sitting next to me, but I knew he wouldn’t let me, so instead I listened and we talked. An intense conversation followed.




AN: Thanks Hells, you are the best. And thank you to all those who have read this so far, and left a review. Those few words you leave behind, mean everything to me.