Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Selena Anarya by Miss

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 3: Conversing.





“Miss Granger, will you please join Mr. Malfoy and myself in this conversation. I think Mr. Malfoy can use all the help you can offer him. Since you are already aware of his situation this will of course include your silence.” Albus Dumbledore looked at the two students before him. He saw the desperation in Mr. Malfoy’s eyes and the uneasiness in Miss Granger’s. He could help, but first the two young people before him needed to calm down.

“Please, the both of you come in and sit down.” Returning to his own chair, Albus Dumbledore gestured to the two students to follow his words. “They are quite comfortable even if I say so myself,” he chuckled lightly. Looking at their Headmaster a bit apprehensively, Hermione and Draco both walked to the front of his desk and sat on the squishy chairs that had been conjured for them by the Headmaster.

Hermione smiled at her Headmaster, even with the weight of the letter still on her mind and wondering why Dumbledore had invited her in, she appreciated what he was trying to do. Malfoy needed all the help he could get, but before that he needed to trust the people willing to help him, including her. So she sat down a bit more graciously and accepted the tea Dumbledore had conjured right after the chairs.

“Mr. Malfoy?” Draco came out of his thoughts for a moment, “Would you like some tea?” He accepted the tea, not really taking in all the other aspects that came along with this simple offer, and took a few sips. Staring over his cup and out the window onto the Quidditch pitch, he fell back into his own world again.

What are you doing to me Narcissa, what is it that you want from me? I’m not the son you think I am; you were never able to trust Lucius and you know I’m like him, so why do you trust me now? With this of all things? Why do you make me do this, force me to make choices that contradict all the choices I have made before? You should be glad mother, that I don’t have the Dark Mark yet. Shit, the ceremony, what will I do? You see what trouble you are giving me now, Narcissa…

“Sir, I think there is something you should know and…” Hermione had been looking between Dumbledore and Draco ever since she accepted the cup of tea and was becoming more and more uncomfortable with the silence. Surely Draco realised that he needed to make this decision soon, and if Dumbledore seemed to know that something was going on, why wasn’t he saying anything. She was, however, stopped by a wave of his hand as Dumbledore started to speak.

“I know where you are going, Miss Granger, but I think Mr. Malfoy needs to explain this to me.” Albus gave her a quick look before returning to Draco. She kept quiet and saw that the usual twinkle in his eyes had gone and turned to Draco herself. She still felt like comforting him.

Albus was silently surveying him over his half moon spectacles for a moment, a sad look coming into his eyes. “Mr. Malfoy, I’m sorry for your loss.” These few words seemed to make Draco come fully out of his thoughts for the first time since entering the Headmaster’s office.

“How did you know? I…I didn’t even tell Pansy or Professor Snape for that matter. I didn’t even tell them where I would be this morning. I…I don’t need your…” ‘pity?’ Draco was eyeing the Headmaster now, dislike towards this Muggle lover and doubt about being in his office, evident in his usually so controlled face. ‘Why is he looking at me like that, why does he even care? What does he want from me? What are you doing to me, Narcissa?

“Professor Snape notified me this morning where both you, and he, would be the better part of the morning. It was also he who, upon returning, told me something seemed to be wrong with you in such a way he had never noticed before. He felt you were no longer aware of your surroundings, something which can be dangerous at times like these. He warned me about this, because he knew your father would send you back here, to Hogwarts, a save place but one where you seek solitude. Severus knows his godson well; he knew you shouldn’t be alone.” Draco grimaced, his emotions of doubt and dislike ebbing for a moment. ‘Yes, his Godfather did know him well, better than his own father it seemed. At least it explains why he was constantly looking at me in the library.

Hermione looked at Draco with a slight hint of surprise in her eyes, even though she should have guessed this connection existed. It explained why Professor Snape favoured Draco even more than the rest of his precious Slytherins. She looked back to the Headmaster, who was kindly smiling at the both of them. She could see he was still worried, the twinkle in his eyes had not yet returned. So she kept silent for now. After her talking out of place the first time, she felt it was no longer her place to just speak up. To be honest, she felt as if she wasn’t supposed to be in this office at all.

“Miss Granger brought you here for a reason, Mr Malfoy.” Hermione felt a small blush creeping up her cheeks at the quick look Draco sent her, she took a small sip of her tea before looking up again. “It was the same reason Professor Snape came to me the moment he returned from your mother’s funeral ceremony. Will you tell me what this reason is and let me help you?” The question lingered in the air for a while. Draco closed his eyes, feeling a bit angrier towards his mother with every new problem he encountered, while he considered these words.

It seemed Lucius was right, the Headmaster is a meddling old fool. How can he help me, nobody can, not even my father.’ This thought startled him and later he noticed that was another one of the first changes he made, he knew he could no longer trust his father or any of his old friends. ‘Can I still trust Uncle Severus, or should I start trusting Albus Dumbledore? Maybe I can, Uncle Severus seems to trust him, at least enough to share his concern about my wellbeing. But again, can I still trust Uncle Severus? He is after all still one of them.

Draco opened his eyes, settling his gaze on his Headmaster. He knew what he had to do, he had taken one step in this new direction, and he might as well walk and take another. “I don’t know if I can trust you, sir.” This time he was more able to plaster his face with the usual Malfoy mask to hide his laughter and doubt at the same time. Laughter at the indignant look on Hermione’s face, ‘It was still fun to bait her.’ And doubt whether he should take this road towards the Headmaster.

Despite her earlier resolve Hermione didn’t keep silent any longer. “I shouldn’t have brought you here then, you ungrateful, twitchy, little ferret! I should have just let you…”

Albus just chuckled at the little scene before him; it was always nice if someone defended you, but Mr. Malfoy was right. “Miss Granger, you will refrain from calling him names and you, Mr. Malfoy, well I can’t make you trust me. However you knew what would be coming when you accompanied Miss Granger here and walked into my office just moments ago.” The sad and calm expression returned to his eyes, that twinkle seemed to be completely gone for today.

“If I ever find out you so much as breathe a whisper about any of this, I will kill you, sir.” Draco stayed calm, even felt calm, when he said this. It felt right somehow to defend his mother, even when he didn’t know where this new feeling of protecting his mother’s honour came from. Albus inclined his head, showing Draco he understood. Hermione, her eyes ablaze, was about to start at him again, but the Headmaster held up his hand to stop her and then accepted the letter Draco held out to him.

“I regret to admit it, but you take after your father Draco, Lucius would probably be proud if he heard you say this. I also have little doubt that you would be capable of doing just that. However, I will not betray the little trust you give me by showing me this.” Again Albus inclined his head and then started to examine the parchment he was holding, looking for a moment at the Black crest. “Ah, Narcissa. Yes, you always prided yourself on being part of the Ancient and Noble family of Black,” he muttered.

Just like with Hermione the letter burned in his hands for a few seconds before the writing appeared. He frowned a moment at the amount of magic evident in the letter. Both students looked at their Headmaster intently while he read the letter. Hermione was anxious to discuss the magic that was evident, and the implications of the words. Draco in puzzlement that the letter decided to show itself, wondering if it choose who could read it, instead of showing itself to everybody now that he had read it.

Except for the portraits moving to see the letter, the Headmaster’s office was silent.




AN: A big thank you to Hells, who was the first to read this and beta it for me.