Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Life's An Hourglass by Connor Landon

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"Bye, Petunia," Lily said uncomfortably as she stepped out of the family car.

Petunia only replied, "Shut the door!" before screeching off. Lily sighed as she watched her older sister speed out of the parking lot of the train station. She had hoped to mend things with Petunia over the vacation, as the past summer was the last time she would be living with her family. Lily meant to get an apartment in London after she left Hogwarts. She wanted to be close to the Academy where she would be training in Potions education. Lily knew she would visit her family in Surrey--of course she would--but things wouldn't be the same as if she was actually living there. She wanted to make the most of the time she had lef--after Hogwarts. Her sister still hadn't wanted anything to do with Lily. Petunia did not forgive and forget, apparently.

Lily pushed all of these thoughts aside as she wheeled her trolley onto the platform between nine and ten. She looked around to make sure that no Muggles were looking her way, then she walked through backwards into the Wizarding world, pulling her trunk behind her. She had arrived early--it was only half past ten--wanting to live up to her new title of Head Girl. Lily had been immensely pleased and excited to open her school list and find her badge and a letter explaining that she had been chosen and what to expect. She had been a prefect since fifth year, and a good student before that, so she had contemplated the position briefly, but she had dismissed the thought as quickly as it had come, not wanting to falsely raise up her own hopes.

Lily dragged her trunk onto the Express and left it and her nap sack in the prefect's compartment. She dug her brand new book out of her bag with the idea of sitting on the bench outside to wait in case some "ickle firsties," needed assistance. The only problem was that another person already occupied the bench. A dark-haired, spectacle-wearing someone. Reading a school book.

Lily was startled to see James Potter sitting quietly on the bench all alone with a book and without his group of friends. She stared fixedly at the bit of gold gleaming on his chest. Was that a Head Boy badge pinned smugly to his robes?? It was red and gold with a large HB, exactly like her own, except hers had an HG, of course. She tried not to gawk, but it was nearly impossible. What had Professor Dumbledore been thinking? James was a troublemaker and a bully; he didn't deserve that badge. Sure, he was very intelligent and always got high marks in all of his classes. And yes, it was true that he was well-liked and mostly respected by many of his fellow students, especially the female population of Hogwarts. He never dated any of them, which was strange. And stranger still, Lily thought suddenly, was the fact that he seemed to have almost completely ceased to curse Severus last year. Now that she thought of it, she couldn't think of a single instance where James Potter had jinxed Severus Snape, or anyone else, for that matter.

While Lily had been pondering, James had noticed her standing a short distance away from him. He tried not to move, otherwise he would catch her attention, and James preferred to watch her inconspicuously. She was so beautiful. James found himself marveling at her beauty every time he was near her. And Lily didn't even realize how absolutely endearing James found her. She was so exquisite, engaged in thought. She chewed on her bottom lip and her blazing red hair framed her face. Her freckles across her cheeks and tiny nose had become more pronounced from exposure to the summer sun. Yes, Lily Evans was definitely attractive, James mused as he surveyed her out of the corners of his eyes. But these thoughts weren't new to him, hadn't been since third year when he had realized that he truly loved her.

James flicked his eyes back to his book as Lily snapped out of her reverie and looked straight at his face. James pretended to have just noticed her and said with a slight smile, "Morning, Evans."

"Potter," Lily nodded, trying to keep her voice neutral. "Head Boy, I see." Nice observation, Miss Obvious, she thought wryly.

"Yes. I was surprised, actually, thought it'd be Remus. And you got Head Girl, no surprise there. Congratulations." He said, smiling pleasantly. There was something different about him...

Just then, three boys burst onto the platform beside Lily. She recognized them immediately: Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew, James' best friends. They saw James and pounced, quickly exchanging hellos. Remus parted from the group and said, "Hello, Lily." Lily smiled her first genuine smile that day and embraced her closest thing to a friend. She and Remus had grown as close as she would allow two years ago when they both became Gryffindor prefects. He was so mild-tempered and kind that Lily didn't understand how he could have friends as awful as Sirius Black and James Potter.

"How was your summer?" she asked him as they drew apart.

"It was...alright," he said hesitantly, shooting a glance at James.

Lily looked at him suspiciously. "Really? What happened?"

Remus shook his head warningly, glancing at James again. Lily took the hint, and knew that it had something to do with Potter; Remus would tell her later when they were alone.

"I'd better see if any of the younger ones need some help," she said to him, moving away. "I'll catch you up later, okay?"

"All right. See you later, Lily."

Lily walked toward a bewildered-looking first year standing uncertainly with his trunk. She wondered what had happened to James and Remus, for it was clear that something had occurred over the summer. It had altered Potter, not terribly noticeable unless he was scrutinized; and Remus wouldn't talk about it in front of him. Lily helped the first year with his trunk, moving it into an empty compartment. He told her that his name was Stewart Mosiah, and they chatted for a while. Lily looked at her watch.

"Oh, Stewart, I must get to the prefects' compartment. There's a meeting at 11:15, and I don't want to be late."

"Okay," he said, looking slightly put out. "It was nice to meet you, Lily."

"You also. I hope we'll see each other again sometime." She quickly left his compartment and headed toward the prefects' compartment.

She opened the door and for the second time that day, was severely startled. Severus Snape was sitting alone in the seat, making a note in a textbook. She didn't think that she would be alone with him so soon. She hadn't expected this meeting to be thrust upon her like this. He looked up and a display of emotions rapidly crossed his face. "Hello, Lily," he said coldly, his face once again that mask of unreadability.

"Severus," she got out. "What-what are you doing in here? You're not a prefect."

"Nott resigned and Professor Dumbledore offered me the position," he said, going back to his book.

"Oh." she said.

There was an awkward pause.

She closed the compartment door and sat down across from him. "Severus, I--" she began.

"Let's not talk about it, Lily," he cut in. "I don't care to hear your excuses."

She was about to reply when the compartment door opened and Potter and Remus entered.

"Well, hello Lily, Snivelly," James said softly. "Have a nice summer?"

Almost as though he had been expecting this, Severus stood sharply to face Potter and Lupin and drew his wand. Lily stood up also, placing herself between Severus and Potter. She put her hands on Severus's arm, forcing his wand down to his side. He shot a look at her, but kept his wand down. "Remember your positions," she said sharply.

Severus gave Potter a look of deepest loathing, then sat back down and took up his book. Remus sat beside Lily, and Potter followed suit as more prefects began to file in.

Once everyone was present, Lily rose from her seat once more to address them. Potter stood also. "Hello, everyone," she said. "Congratulations on making prefect. You're here because Professor Dumbledore thought you worthy of the job. Let us hope that we all take our responsibilities seriously and live up to our titles." She glanced at Potter as she said this. "My name is Lily Evans, by the way, and I'm Head Girl. This is-"

"James Potter, Head Boy," he said, "for any of you who don't know me. We're going to have a fantastic year," he grinned at the fifth year eying him. Lily snorted, trying to quell the sudden stab of jealousy. She doubted that anyone didn't know "dreamy" James Potter. And where had that pang come from?

Lily shook off the thought, and took some parchment out of her robes. "These are your patrol duty timetables. A pair of prefects is assigned to patrol each floor every night, with alterations, of course. Read over the rules and be sure you know when you have patrol duty. There is no getting out of this," she added in response to the groans. "We'll meet at the entrance hall each night and go from there. Any questions about any of this?"

No one had any questions. "I think that's it, then." Potter cleared his throat. "Would you like to add something, Potter?"

"If anyone has any concerns or problems at all," he smirked, looking straight at the fifth year girl, "Please come to me and I'll be glad to help. That's all."

Remus snorted and Lily barely refrained from rolling her eyes. "You're dismissed," she said. "Potter, could I have a word?" Lily waited until everyone had gone, then said. "I hope you are going to take this seriously, and not just as an opportunity to take girls into broom closets."

James ignored the last bit and replied, "My dearest Lilyflower, I am hurt that you would ever suggest that I won't take my job seriously. And there's no possible chance that I would be able to escape duty; we're round partners for the year."

"How could I forget?" Lily groaned.

"No, in all seriousness, Evans," he said, growing somber. "I am going to live up to my title. No more joking around--well, at least less of it. And," he added, "I think we should try to stop bickering. You know, for the sake of professionalism and everything. Call a truce."

"I-I-sure," said Lily, disconcerted by this sudden display of maturity from the King of Practical Jokes. "Yes, uh, good thought. Truce." She took James' outstretched hand. It was warm and surprisingly soft; her own hand was lost in his. Lily let go extremely quickly.

"I-I'll see you later, then," James said, his pale cheeks ever-so-slightly tainted red. He exited the compartment, leaving an amazed Lily behind him.

* * * * * * "Bingley! Don't trip Darcy!" Lily called into the crowd of jostling students. "Keep moving now!" She was standing on the train platform holding the door of the Hogwarts Express for the students. Goodness, they're awful pains in the arse, she thought, watching some of the younger ones push and shove each other. Was my year that bad?

"Snivellus, I've never seen you look so cute!" someone shouted behind Lily. She turned sharply. Her eyes narrowed. Black. Lily quickly made her way over to where a small group had gathered. Remus and Peter, among others, were standing around Sirius Black and Severus. The former was pointing his wand at Severus, who was on the ground and wearing...a ballerina's tutu. Lily's giggle was quickly stifled when Severus caught sight of her smirking. Before Lily could begin yelling at Black, Severus unexpectedly lunged at the still-laughing Sirius, who was caught unawares at Severus's attack.

"No, STOP, boys!" Lily shouted as the gathered crowd shrieked and cheered.

"Boys, stop this!" Lily screamed again. They continued fighting, and Lily pulled out her wand and Stunned both boys. "Idiots," she muttered. She would have to take them up to the school. The Head Boy would have to watch the crowd. She looked around. Where was Potter?

James was standing back to Lily, staring at the things reined to a carriage--no longer horseless. He had read about these white-eyed, dragonish creatures and knew what they were: thestrals, only seen by those who have witnessed death. And now I can see them, he thought bitterly. The reward I earned for watching my sister die...

* * * * * * Lily opened the door of the dormitory and stepped inside, deeply breathing in the scents of perfume and slightly musty curtains. Ah, she loved being back at Hogwarts. She looked around the room she had shared with her fellow female classmates for six years. All too soon she would be leaving this place, probably never to see it again, along with all of her classmates. Stop, she gently told herself. Don't dwell.

"Lily!" one of the girls called out. Lily looked toward the voice and recognized Alice Thatcher. Alice had made attempts to get to know Lily, but of course Lily did not let that happen.

"Hi, Alice," Lily said pleasantly to the girl, who threw her arms around Lily. "Oof. How was your summer?" Lily asked politely when Alice had withdrawn from Lily's stiff hug.

"Ooh, it was wonderful!" Alice promptly began talking rapidly and Lily began to daydream. What had she ever done to make Alice like her? She had never revealed any personal information, especially not about Petunia or That Happening, and she always made up excuses whenever Alice wanted to spend time "getting to know each other." So why was this girl acting like she and Lily were best friends?

Lily finally-politely-brushed Alice off. She pulled her pajamas from her trunk and quickly changed, climbing underneath blankets warm from a house elf's hot coals. Slave labour was the last thing she remembered thinking before she succumbed to her tiredness.