Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Life's An Hourglass by Connor Landon

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“Lily! Hey, Lily!”


Lily kept walking through the corridor full of students, hoping to dissuade the speaker from catching her up. Maybe if I ignore him long enough he’ll go away, Lily thought to herself. Fat chance. She had been wistfully hoping that for years and it hadn’t happened yet.


“Hey, Lily, wait up!” James called, sprinting down the corridor to draw level to her.


Lily sighed and turned around to face him.


“Yes, Po”James?” she asked, eyeing him warily.


“How have things been going, Lily?” James said, grinning cockily and trying to make conversation.


“You bolted down here just to ask me how I’m doing? What do you want James?”


He got to the point. “I just wanted you to know that I won’t be able to do rounds tonight.” James said this all very fast, but Lily understood him.


“Oh, really? And why not?” Lily demanded.


“I have detention with McGonagall tonight,” James said, holding his breath.


“Again?” Lily said, exasperated. “You must really like it in there; you’re in so often! Fine, James, but you had better not leave me to patrol alone every night.” And with that, she turned on her heel and strode off away from him.


James breathed a sigh of relief. She bought it, he thought. His conscience gave a twinge of guilt for lying to Lily, but he wasn’t getting out of patrol duty for his own intentions, at least. It’s for Remus, he thought, jogging to his next class.


* * * * * *


She was happy, so happy. She had no idea why, but she felt complete, unbridled joy, and it surrounded her and the person next to her. Who was he? He was unrecognizable, his face a blur of peachy color. He’s my happiness popped into her dreaming consciousness.


Fear! Oh, the overwhelming fear!
It had come. The one next to her shouted in garbled speech. What did he say? She didn’t know, but decided to run from the awful fear that now forced its way into her soul. She clutched the bundle to her chest. It was small and she felt as if she needed to protect it with her life. She must keep running, taking the bundle away from the dreadful, heart-pounding, nameless fear. She stood suddenly motionless. Was she far enough away yet? She tried to listen for noises, but only heard static.


Something was coming! Her wand was in her hand. She pointed it toward the direction in which she had come and waited.


No! The fear was back! She stepped away from the black blur of terror in front of her. She tried not to panic as it drew closer.
Must protect the bundle! No one to help… Please!


Then the green light shot at her”that blinding jet of light that was followed by…Pain, pain, pain! Oh, God, this pain! What was happening? Her soul was surely being ripped, torn, shredded…She was leaving her body…Oh no! The bundle! Ohhh, the pain…


Lily awoke from the dream in a cold sweat and panting, wrapped tightly in her blankets. She gasped for breath as she fought the sheets. Lily sat up and reached for her robe and wand on the floor. She stumbled out of bed and rapidly descended the staircase, her feet slapping the cold stone floor. She pulled on her robe and hugged herself tightly as she made her way across the common room to her favourite armchair beside the faintly-glowing fire. She pointed her wand at the ash-enveloped logs and whispered, “Incendio.” The dying fire came alive, plunging Lily into an orangey brightness.


Lily shivered, sinking into the stuffed armchair and holding back a sob. She had been “dreaming” this same scene over and over for so long; she should be used to it by now. But it was so real every time . The happiness, then the fear, then the horrible, nearly vomit-inducing pain. That pain was definitely genuine; she could still feel it in her limbs, though it was slowly, thankfully fading.


Lily wanted to sob her heart out. She hated The Dream, hated it! Not because of the after-effects; no, she had been dealing with them for a long time now. No, the thing that absolutely terrified her and caused her to loathe this vision was the fact that she knew that it would happen to her in a very short while.


Lily did cry then. Cried for the loss of the pure happiness she had shared with that mystery person beside her; cried for the utter terror that had gripped her heart; cried for the failure she felt as she was being ripped from her body, the failure at leaving the bundle defenseless and to care for itself while she was being taken away.


Lily’s cries quieted as she watched the dancing flames. She hugged her knees and rested her chin on them, letting her long ginger hair fall in her face. It hid her. She looked out the window of the Tower. She had no idea what the time was, but by the looks of the sky, it was early morning. Lily had always loved this time of day, as well as sunset. Why am I letting this Dream take control of my life? she though suddenly. Am I really going to let a silly nightmare dictate my every move? She was, once again, trying to trick herself into feeling better. It was working a little.


Lily froze. The Fat Lady’s portrait had just opened. Who was out this late at night? She sat very still in her chair, praying that the top of her very distinctive head was hidden by the chair’s tall back. She listened hard. There was scuffing and whispered “sshhhh!s”. It must be Gryffindors; no one else knew their password. Lily gripped her wand and tensed in her seat. She jumped up from her chair, exclaiming, “Stay where you are!” She froze once more. No one was there. All movement had ceased. Where were they? Lily cautiously stepped closer to where she thought the noises had come from. “Who’s there?” she called softly, grasping her wand in front of her. She quickly took a step closer. A chair off to the left tipped over and there was more scuffling. All of a sudden, Peter Pettigrew and Sirius Black appeared out of thin air. Lily jumped and gasped.


“What are you boys doing?” she whispered fiercely, now pointing her wand at the two boys.


“We, erm…” Peter stammered, looking at Sirius.


“We were hungry,” Sirius supplied quickly. “Just went to the kitchens to get something to eat.” Peter nodded in agreement.


Lily narrowed her eyes. “Really?” she said smoothly. “Breakfast is surely in a couple of hours, you couldn’t have waited?”


“We were starving.” Peter said.


“Both of you go hungry at the same time?”


“No, Evans, actually Peter was hungry first, then I realized I was too-”


“Where is James?” Lily cut in. “Did he happen to go with you?”


“No,” Sirius said while Peter said, “Yes.” Sirius glared at Peter, who looked terrified.


“I see,” Lily said. She walked over to where Sirius and Peter were standing and the chair had been knocked over. She reached down to the space beside Peter. Avery had always said that the Marauders were in possession of an Invisibility cloak… She grasped and pulled hard. The cloak came off in her hand, revealing a very disheveled and uncomfortable-looking James and Remus.


“Ah,” said Lily with satisfaction, looking down at the two boys who were sprawled across each other. “Been to the kitchens as well?” she asked them.


“Yes,” James and Remus replied way too quickly.


“Really?” Lily said again. “As I recall, it was a full moon tonight.” The boys looked quickly at Remus. “I know where Remus was, but where were the rest of you?” Lily asked sweetly, looking from James to Sirius to Peter. “You weren’t with Remus; it’s forbidden and extremely dangerous.” Lily’s voice was now dangerous as her words were met with silence. “I don’t think Professor McGonagall kept you in detention this late, Potter.” Lily said, glaring at James, furious that he had lied to her.


“Lily, I can explain--”James began, but Lily interrupted him.


“I can’t believe you,” she said with disgust, and headed for the dormitory stairs, the Invisibility cloak still in her hand.


“Hey!” James exclaimed as he saw her walk off. “That’s my cloak!”


“Oh, I don’t think so,” Lily said, smiling evilly at James. “Let’s see how many nighttime adventures you can get away with without this.” She turned around and trotted up the stairs to her warm and welcoming bed, leaving the four stunned boys in her wake.