Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Before They Died by lily_writes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 1: “Actually I Am, On Both Counts"

~*~

Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns almost everything that you will find here. Most of you know what happened, I just feel like elaborating the story to my imagination’s desire.

~*~

A/N: Alright everyone, this is my first fan fic. *claps in delight* This is exciting. Okay you guys, read on!

~*~

It was nighttime at the Potter’s house in Godric’s Hollow. Lily and James were sitting up, talking about their days at Hogwarts, while Harry slept peacefully in Lily’s arms. She looked at her watch and sighed.

“James,” she whispered. “It’s getting really late. I’d best put Harry to bed.”

She got up from where she was sitting on the couch and headed off for Harry’s bedroom.

“Hang on,” said James. Lily turned to face him. “I want to say goodnight.”

She went back to the couch where he was sitting with his arms outstretched. Lily pretended to be exasperated and annoyed by his request, but smiled all the same when she finally deposited Harry in his waiting arms. Harry nestled comfortably into his father’s chest and settled as James began to rock him gently. Suddenly, a loud knock shattered the halcyon atmosphere of the room like a rock through glass. Harry fidgeted and began to fuss. Lily walked over to the door and looked through a little peephole to check who the caller was.

“It’s me,” called Sirius. “Can you let me in? I’ve got urgent news from the Order.”

Lily looked at James; her expression was a varied mix of confusion, apprehension, and concern. She hid it in a second and opened the door. Sirius stepped inside, shaking his long black hair out of his face as he entered. He smiled at Lily, who returned it as she closed the door. He went to James who just stood up, Harry still in his arms, and he embraced his best friend. Upon separating, Sirius ruffled Harry’s hair and Harry giggled with delight. Lily and James sat back down and Lily conjured up an armchair for Sirius, and he sat down too. There was a slight pause before anyone spoke.

“What in blazes brings you here at this hour, Padfoot?” James asked amusedly.

“I just got an important tip-off from Dumbledore about a half-hour ago. Apparently, Voldemort knows I’m your Secret-Keeper and he’s going to come for me around midnight,” he answered solemnly.

Lily’s eyes widened in shock, but she held herself steady.

“Sirius, you can’t be serious!” she exclaimed failing to disguise the shock in her voice.

“Actually I am, on both counts, for once.” He smiled like the mischievous imp he had been at Hogwarts. James threw him a lopsided grin and Lily can’t help but to flash a quick smile too.

“He can’t know that though,” she protested. “That is, unless one of the Order is an undercover spy working for him.”

She bit her lower lip, seemingly lost in thought. She only looked up when her husband stood up, with Harry still in his arms. He furrowed his eyebrows and began to pace back and forth. He’s too deep in thought to hear his son begin to whine. Lily stood up, walked over to him, and took Harry from him. He stopped pacing after another two minutes passed, and looked down at his arms. The fact that Harry wasn’t there anymore hadn’t fazed him until then. She rolled her eyes and sat back down and sat Harry down on her lap. James looked at Sirius.

“What are you going to do?” he asked finally.

“Well, I was thinking about hiding out somewhere….” His voice trailed off.

“Why don’t you stay here then?” Lily suggested. “Or maybe, you could arrange to live somewhere protected by another Secret-Keeper?”

James finally sat back down next to his wife and looked at his friend. He ran his hands through his shoulder-length hair, black as his best friend’s and godson’s, but not as messy.

“Prongs,” he responded heavily. “I wouldn’t want to intrude on you, Lily, and Harry. And you should know how I don’t like being staying in one place for a long, long time.”

At this, he gave James a meaningful glance; he took the hint quickly and nodded in understanding.

“Fair point, still, you wouldn’t be intruding on us,” he turned to his wife, “would he Lily?”

“No, of course not Sirius,” she agreed warmly with a smile to match. “I’m sure Harry would love to see more of his godfather.”

He smiled at her words. He looked tempted too, but shook his head.

“Thanks for the offer, but I think I finally came up with an idea.”

Lily and James exchanged politely confused looks before looking at him curiously.

“I think you should make Wormtail your temporary Secret-Keeper, in the hopes that if Voldemort comes after me, I can’t tell him where you are,” he told them.

James and Lily both look undoubtedly impressed. James smiled from ear to ear.

“Smart idea,” he grinned. “I’ll send him an owl telling him to meet to meet you later tonight. Then after you’ve told him, you can send him into hiding.”

He got up and went to a writing desk. He picked up a quill, opened an ink bottle, and pulled out a piece of parchment and began to write. As that went on, Lily watched him, absentmindedly bouncing Harry on her knee, and Sirius looked over at his godson and smiled. All is quiet, save for the scratching of the quill and Harry’s happy babbling. James finally picked up the letter, rolled it up, and sealed it. He walked over to a tawny owl on a perch by an open window. She obediently held out her leg as he approached and he tied the letter on. With a soft hoot, she took flight and he watched her fly off into the night sky, flung with stars and a full moon. When he noticed the full moon, he heard a distant howl and smiled in reminiscence, as James looked over to see if his wife or friend had reacted to the howl, Sirius had stood up.

“I guess I’d better be off then. See you later James, Lily, Harry.”

He walked to where Lily and Harry were. He gave her a small hug, ruffled Harry’s hair again, giving him a windswept look, and winked at James who smiled back. He walked for the door which James opened for him. Sirius gave him a quick hug then left, closing the door behind him. Lily looked at her watch again.

“Well, since no one else we know would come this late at night except Remus, Sirius, and Peter; and seeing as how Sirius and Peter are going to be elsewhere tonight and Remus has his little furry problem to take care of,” she yawned. “I suggest that we all go to bed.”

“Good idea,” he said, yawning too.

Lily picked Harry off her lap and carried him to his room. James went to their room and lay down, remembering the good old days, when the Marauders roamed Hogwarts and the grounds.

~*~

A/N: Ok you guys, tell me what you thought. Any reviews are greatly appreciated. ~lily_writes

P.S. If you see any more grammer/spelling errors on this or any other chapter, put it in your review. I want to learn how to improve my writing techniques (and my vocabulary to boot).