Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Only In My Dreams by Ice Cream Eater

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I came up with this fic after I read HBP and decided it should take place in 7th year. I have decided to let Dumbledore live. (Yay!) The only reason I did this is to let Hogwarts be open and not closed forever.
Disclaimer: Everything here belongs to J.K. Rowling except that which is not hers.


There were only a few days before the start of his seventh year and Ron could not wait until his annual trip to Diagon Alley and reunion with Hermione, this time more than usual. He had been dreaming of her constantly for the past two months, day and night.

Every morning he would wake up, turn over to his left and see Hermione's peaceful sleeping face. He would reach out to stroke her curly chestnut hair. As his fingers approached she would disappear.

Afterwards, he would close his eyes and see her face, only now she would be awake. He would lean in toward her to give her a kiss, but as he got closer to her lips, she would--

"RON! WAKE UP!" Startled, Ron fell off his bed. He never found out what she was going to do.

He had gotten very close to finding out once, but then Ginny had ripped off his sheets and shrieked, "Harry's here!" Ron had avoided him all day. He hadn't wanted Harry to interrupt his dream life. It was what he wished his life to be and was up to the point when he was in a trance for so long he believed it was real. Harry had been too busy doing who-knows-what with Ginny to notice; but Ron could've cared less at this point of their friendship.

Ron got back into his bed and closed his eyes but nothing happened. It's all Ginny's fault. He got up, dressed, and clambered down the stairs finding nothing but toast left from breakfast (or was it lunch?).

"Ron, hurry up, it's nearly 12:00," Mrs. Weasley said. "Grab something and have it in the car." There was no choice apart from that one piece of toast. He ate the toast half-heartedly as he climbed into the car The Ministry had sent for Harryr17;s sake. He could not live unless he saw Hermione again. There was one more bite left, but he could not eat it because it looked uncannily like Hermione. His mind wandered off and he began to daydream.

"Ron! Get out of the car, mate," Harry said. "I think he's got a delusional mind," he added to Ginny.

"Are you kidding? This is how he usually acts. No mind at all," Ginny replied. Ron had heard what she said, but decided not to bother. He remembered she had woken him up that morning.

When they got to Diagon Alley, Ron and Harry took off to get their new books. As they picked up their first new book, The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7, at Flourish and Blotts, they found Hermione behind a walking stack of books. The one on top was How to Score a Perfect N.E.W.T. When she saw them, she dropped her library and ran to greet them. Bloody hell! She's more beautiful than I remembered!

Her hair had an elegant bounce as her chocolate eyes sparkled in the late summer sun. Her smile brought a cure to everything and Ron dissolved in her presence.

"Harry!" she gave him a hug. "Ron!" she did the same to him. Ron felt a rush of sensation throughout his body like he was finally awake, though he couldn't help wondering why she had gone to Harry first. What could this mean? Does she care for Harry more then she cares for me?

"I missed you guys so much!" Hermione cried.

Ron began to tremble and his words flooded out, " I missed you guys, too. I mean, not Harry he's been here all summer. Not here, myhouse. Notjustmyhouse. MymumanddadandGinnyand, and-" He had no clue what else to say and his words staggered. Harry stared at him with a questioning look.

"Ron," he whispered, "do you want to talk about something?" He took him to the end of the alley. " Ron, tell me what's wrong."

"Harry, you know what's wrong? You! You have one girlfriend and you still aren't pleased!"

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"I think you do!" Ron stormed off as he thought to himself, Was Harry lying or did he really have no clue?




Harry started to follow Ron. He had caught a slight hint of what was going on. Of course, why didn't I catch this before? Ron likes Hermione. And Hermione liked him, too. Harry had a hunch that if Ron told her his feelings, she would be delighted.

"Ron!" he had caught up to him. "I know what's been going on. You like her don't you?"

"Harry, you don't get it. I don't like her. I - you know -" he whispered, "I love her."

"Why don't you tell her?" Harry felt he had to keep Hermione's secret to himself. He couldn't tell Ron that she liked him because he wasn't completely sure.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I'll get sick."

As Harry got frustrated, he couldn't help yelling, "Do you love her or not? It's not going to help by bottling everything up inside, Ron!"

Ron was starting to feel a bit uneasy and hid his qualms by saying, "Calm down, Harry. I'm going to tell her in the end. Eventually."

"The end of what? The world?"




A/N: You might want to remember that "End of the World" line. ; )