Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Only In My Dreams by Ice Cream Eater

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: It's summer! I'll be sure to work on it now. Please enjoy this chapter while the others are waiting to be posted.
Hermione panicked. It was something that she had been worried about throughout the whole day. She could only think of the worst.

“Harry!”

“Harry!”

Ron and Ginny knelt beside her as they tried to get Harry back to consciousness. His forehead was covered with beads of sweat and he was gasping for breath. His screams were full of pain. Hermione could think of nothing to do to wake him up but to call out his name.

Ginny’s eyes grew large in fear. Hermione could feel herself shaking and was nearly to tears. Ron took hold of her cold hand and could feel his were shaking as well. All she wanted was to have him by her side, but these days were dark and only getting darker. Harry was beginning to stir.

“Harry, wake up,” Ginny croaked. “Please.”

Harry’s eyes opened and words immediately came out of his mouth. “They’re coming, the Death Eaters,” he said, panting.

“What? Are you sure?” Ron asked, subtly hinting what had happened two years ago that had resulted in the death of Harry’s godfather, Sirius.

“It doesn’t matter. We have to be ready. Ginny, go get Dumbledore, and hurry. Why didn’t he see it before?” He questioned, more to himself.

Ginny ran off to find Dumbledore.

“Harry, do you have your Invisibility Cloak?”

He nodded. It was tucked safely inside of his robes, ready for a time like this.

“Get under it and whatever happens to us, do not get out of it. You have to promise me. Voldemort is looking for you. Do not let him capture you. You must come to him on your own.”

Harry got under his Invisibility Cloak.

Ron turned to Hermione, realizing the severity of the circumstances. “If I don’t ever get another chance to tell you, I want you to know this.” He gently caressed her cheek and gave her a kiss that made her heart beat faster than it already was, but quickly drew away. “I love you, even though you may not feel the same way. I always will.”

Silenced by her own guilt, she could not return the words. He had felt that way all along. She felt horrible for being so cold and ignoring her feelings and his. She willed herself to find the courage to speak but did not have the chance. Her already rushing pulse skipped a beat as dark-cloaked figures started appearing exponentially out of nowhere.

Death Eaters were Apparating into Hogwarts. She could not understand. You cannot Apparate onto Hogwarts grounds!

Hermione began to get faint. The calamity of events made her confused. Everything was happening too quickly. She felt multiple conflicting emotions at the same time.

The Death Eaters stopped appearing and the last to arrive was a witch with dark, heavy-lidded eyes. “Well, what do we have here?” Bellatrix Lestrange’s voice echoed in the empty corridor.

“That’s Granger and Weasley. If I don’t know any better, Potter should be around,” said Draco Malfoy.

“Oh, Potter’s friends,” Bellatrix said. “So, where is he? We all know you know.”

Ron slowly reached into his robes for his wand.

“Don’t move!” the gaunt-faced woman commanded. She turned to two Death Eaters signaling them to keep both Ron and Hermione still. She leaned closer to their faces, noses nearly touching. “Where is he?” she hissed.

Ron found the courage to speak. “He’s not here. He’s… with… Dumbledore,” Ron nervously made up.

Bellatrix let out a malicious cackle and the rest of the Death Eaters joined in. “You lie.” She motioned her arm and one of the Death Eaters stepped out of the crowd. He slowly lowered his black hood, revealing a silvery gray beard.

Hermione gasped. “No.”

“Yes. He’s on our side now.”

“No, no.” Hermione was shaking. “Dumbledore would never… he’s always been…” Her voice died away in disbelief.

Hermione’s thoughts ran through her mind. Dumbledore was always against Voldemort. Why the sudden change? There was only one other way Death Eaters were recruited.

“Hermione, he’s under the”” Ron started to whisper.

Hermione finished frantically, “I know, the Imperius Curse.”

Bellatrix was annoyed with their whispering. “Silencio!” She turned to Ron and said, “I will break this curse. And when I do, you will tell me where Harry Potter really is. If you don’t,” she took her wand and pressed it to Hermione’s throat, “your little girlfriend will get it.”

Hermione glanced over at Ron, signaling her will with her eyes. Whatever happened to her, she would endure to save Harry and the rest of the wizarding world. She hoped that he would get the message. Ron looked around and seemed to be searching for something not able to be seen.

“Stop sending secret messages!” Bellatrix demanded. Ron stopped and turned pale. He feared what would happen to Hermione and hoped Harry saw him looking around.

Bellatrix flicked her wand once again and Ron felt the charm being lifted but still he did not speak. Hermione prepared for the worst breathing deeply and heavily. Bellatrix, on the other hand, grinned at their actions. This was the moment she was waiting for.

Crucio!” Ron watched in horror as Hermione’s body cringed in pain. He struggled to break free from the Death Eater’s grip. Her screams echoed and did not seem to stop. Her heart was beating fast and her body felt limp. She had never felt such discomfort.

Then, the curse stopped abruptly as Bellatrix’s wand flew from her hand and onto the floor. Hermione collapsed to the ground, panting. Her breath was shortening. Ron elbowed the Death Eater that held him and rushed to where Hermione was lying on the ground. “You’re going to be all right. I promise.” She managed to grab a hold of his hand.

“You!” Bellatrix screamed. She dove for her wand and started aiming curses at Ron but he was not the one who disarmed her. He got up and defended himself, wand drawn.

Hermione forced herself not to lose consciousness but she could barely keep her eyes open. Then, to her surprise, members of the Order of the Phoenix started arriving. Ginny must have gotten a hold of someone. The Death Eaters now had an army against them as teachers also started storming into the corridor. Colorful spells flew all around them.

Someone was picking her up. She recognized him as Lupin. “I’m going to get you somewhere safe,” he told her, but she didn’t want to leave. Not when Ron was here dueling against Bellatrix. She took one last glimpse as Bellatrix shot a spell that hit him squarely on the chest. Ron seemed to be falling in slow motion as Lupin turned on the spot. The two entered the familiar darkness as they Apparated and there was no strength left in her body to keep her eyes open so she just let them close, feeling there was nothing left to live for.