Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Only In My Dreams by Ice Cream Eater

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry to my beloved readers. I've been having computer troubles. Hope you enjoy!
Harry stepped out of the room while Hermione’s Healer conducted her physical tests. He was still in a state of shock. Why, of all things, did this have to happen to her?

As if the state of her memory was not enough of a problem, Harry still had to break the news to Ron. He almost feared how Ron might react when Harry told him Hermione did not remember anything. His mind was swarming with possible reactions when he heard, “Harry.” He turned around, expecting to see the Healer and saw Dumbledore instead.

“Professor,” he said with surprise. Harry forgot all about his current thoughts and all sorts of other questions started popping into his head.

“You are just the person I wanted to see,” began Dumbledore. “I had a feeling I would find you here.”

Harry had forgotten during all the commotion that happened so suddenly the night of the Death Eater attack that Dumbledore, the most powerful wizard Harry knew, had somehow been controlled by an Imperius Curse. How can a wizard as great as Dumbledore be affected by the Imperius Curse?

“Will you explain how everything happened? I still don’t know how it was possible.”

“Not now, Harry. It is not the proper place. There are too many eyes that can watch and ears that can listen.”

“Then, why did you want to see me?”

“Hogwarts has been closed by the Ministry. They believe Hogwarts is no longer capable of housing hundreds of students safely. Within one year, Death Eaters have been able to get in twice. Students are packing as we speak.”

Harry understood that Hogwarts had to be closed, but he still did not want it to happen. It had been the only place where he ever felt he was home.

Dumbledore lowered his voice and said in a sharp whisper, “When it is time for you to leave, you are to go with the Weasleys to the Burrow. From there, we will have to discuss how to end this.” Dumbledore could not go into much detail, but Harry knew that the time had come finally to destroy Voldemort. They had delayed it for too long.

The intensity of their conversation was broken by an interruption from the Healer. The two of them entered Hermione’s room in pensive silence.




Ron was lying in his bed staring up at the ceiling, counting the tiles. He was trapped in this tiny cot, isolated from the outside world. What was going on out there?

He was being driven mad by the silence that often occupied the room. Sometimes he thought he could hear Hermione’s voice speaking to him. But, then again, maybe he was not going crazy. Maybe it was her.

Lost in thought, Ron nearly jumped out of his bed when Harry came into his room that night. He bombarded him with questions about Hermione’s condition.

“You better, er, sit down,” Harry nervously started.

“All right.” Ron knew that this was not going to be good. He sat on his hospital cot and Harry sat down in the chair beside it. Ron watched as his best friend’s throat move as he swallowed uneasily. Ron could not wait any longer. “Get on with it, then.”

Harry took a deep breath. “Hermione is awake. She can breathe. She can speak; well, her voice is a bit hoarse from not talking in a while. She can see. She’s eating well. She can walk, though a little wobbly.”

“So what’s making you so edgy? She seems to be in perfect condition to me.”

“I don’t know how to tell you,” Harry’s voice trailed off. Just then, Lavender Brown came bursting through the door with a clamor.

“Ron! Ron! I’m so terribly sorry!” She was close to tears.

“What did you do? Harry, what is she talking about?” Ron demanded.

Harry did not have time to open his mouth when Lavender revealed the truth, speaking very fast. “Hermione. I came here as soon as I could. Oh, I’m so sorry. I can’t believe she doesn’t remember a thing.”

Ron refused to believe himself. “What?”

“Please don’t make me say it again. I know you heard,” Lavender pleaded.

“Harry, tell me this isn’t true,” he demanded.

Harry shook his head. “I wish I could.”

Ron shut his eyes, feeling each breath pass through his empty chest. It would be like the Hermione he loved never existed, but there she would be, every day. He held back his tears. He did not want to be seen like this.

“But you told her. She knew the truth,” Harry said, trying to exclude Lavender, who was still standing in the room.

“It doesn’t matter what I did. I have always loved her. It makes no difference if I told her and she doesn’t even remember me. I still don’t know. She might as well have died because that way, I wouldn’t have to see her beautiful face and be reminded that I never knew how she felt about me,” his voice faltered.

“Don’t say that. You know you don’t really wish that,” Harry rebuked.

“Sorry to interrupt,” Lavender said uncomfortably, “but I think I have something that will help Ron. Hermione would probably want me to give this to you-,” she handed Ron a piece of wrinkled paper and hesitated before saying, “if she knew I had it. I wouldn’t have done everything I did if I knew how you really felt about her.” Ron gave her a puzzled look. “Just read it.”

Ron read the tear-stained letter to himself:

Dear Viktor,
I’ve been holding this secret for too long. I have come to a harsh realization that I am in love with Ron Weasley. It is wrong, but I cannot help myself. He will never love me. I will never be more than a friend. I try not to think about him, but my thoughts cannot be controlled. He is in my head even when I don’t think about him. I dream about him while I’m both awake and asleep. I am no longer myself. I am lost in class. I get behind on homework. I am supposed to be studying now. But I can’t stop thinking about Ron. I love his eyes, his smile, his hair. Even if there was nothing to love him for I still would “


Ron could not bear to read anymore. This was the letter that Ron had picked up the night she stopped speaking to him. This was the letter that had ironically ended their friendship. Ron noticed the scars on the letter from being ripped and then magically fixed. From what he could perceive from the letter, she probably still felt that way even after she vowed not to speak to him again. His crumpled the already wrinkled paper in his hand.

When he looked up, both Lavender and Harry were watching silently. “I have to see her.” It could not be possible that she did not remember him. He still felt an odd connection to her.

“You can’t, not right now. Just wait a few days, when you can leave your room,” Harry persisted.

“No. I’m going now,” Ron stated.

“Ron, Harry is right. You have to stay here,” Lavender suggested, but Ron began struggling to get up.

“You could at least wait until the morning. She’s probably sleeping. We don’t want to disturb her.”

Ron gave in. Although he would do anything to see her that moment, he muttered, “Fine.” He would just have to suffer through the night.
Chapter Endnotes: This baby's almost done. It's been safe inside me for... 3 years? Woah it's been awhile, but we're almost there.