Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Only In My Dreams by Ice Cream Eater

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I know it's been a while, but here it is. I hope you enjoy!
Breakfast was over and everyone streamed out of the Great Hall, scrambling to their first class. Hermione hurried to Potions. She liked to get to class early on test days to squeeze in some last minute studying. Ron and Harry ran to catch up with her.

"Hermione, do you think I'll pass?" Ron asked worriedly.

"Ron, it's a review. You are going to do fine," Hermione reassured. Ron smiled, pleased with her response. He'd been trying very hard to be the man of knowledge lately. And Hermione seemed to notice. She continued, "I've never seen you like this before. What's gotten into you?"

"I don't know. I just want a change."

"Well, we're all very proud of you, Ronald," said Harry jokingly.

Once they got to Potions, they took their usual seats, Hermione behind Ron, Harry next to him. Hermione opened her textbook and started to quiz herself. Her mind wandered off, dreaming of her night alone with Ron. She stared into his deep blue eyes. She longed to stop time. She longed for the feeling she had to stay forever. What is this feeling I have?

"Hermione!" came a whisper. She blinked and saw Ron facing her, turned around in his chair. She looked up at Professor Slughorn.

"Books down, Miss Granger," he repeated.

"Sorry, Professor."

"Now that Miss Granger has cleared her desk, it's time to start the test." With a jab of his wand, a test popped up in front of each student. "You will have the whole class to finish the test. Remember to use a crow feather quill. I'm using a new grading technique. And you may begin."

Hermione ran through her test like a rabbit on fire. Then she got to question number eleven.

"In what state is a person if a love potion failed to work on them?"

She knew the answer. It had been echoing through her head since her night with Ron. True love. She couldn't help remembering Ron's blue eyes as they stared into hers when he said that. She realized what she had been feeling all summer, especially last night. I love Ron. But does he have the same feelings for me? But Lavender also likes him, too. Does he like her more than me?

POP! She was startled when her test popped away.

"Time's up!" Professor Slughorn had a stack of papers in his hand. Tapping the paper three times, Hermione watched as the top paper got a giant red letter. He moved his wand in a circular motion and with a quick jab and a mutter of "Returno!" their papers were right back in front of them. Professor Slughorn walked around observing his students' reactions. He walked over to Neville, who was confusedly staring at his red question mark. "I told you to remember to use crow feather quills."

"Sorry, Professor," he started, "I knew I forgot something."

"I'm going to have to grade this by hand." He took back the test. "Has anyone else got a question mark for a grade?" A handful of people raised their hands and he collected them all.

Meanwhile, Hermione took one look at her test. Her eyes welled up and tears splashed onto the paper. It was the first one in her life; the first D in her life. As soon as the class was dismissed, she ran to the bathroom and into the first stall to the right, crying just as she had done in her first year.




Ginny walked up to Harry and Ron at lunch. "Hello, Ginny," Harry said, "I saved you a seat." He gestured towards one of the two empty chairs across from him.

"Where's Hermione?" she asked.

Harry answered, "I haven't seen her since Potions. I think she has Ancient Runes after Potions and she probably went straight to the library. You know Hermione, constantly studying."

"What I'd give to be with her," Ron sighed.

"What was that, Ron?" Ginny said, "I didn't quite hear you."

"I said, 'I'm looking for an aquifer,'" he rhymed.

Ginny said with sarcasm, "That's great."

While Ron stared at his potatoes, she added to Harry, "He's a bit loony nowadays."

Ginny finished her lunch early and went to the library with two rolls in her pocket, hoping to find Hermione. She didn't want her to go without eating. Ginny went into the library, but the only people she saw were a group of Ravenclaws and a couple lonely studiers. She didn't see Hermione anywhere. She went to look elsewhere.




Hermione sobbed for what seemed like hours and hours. Then she heard footsteps. She squatted on the toilet so no one would see her feet and know she was there, but her sobbing would not cease.

"Hermione?" someone called, "I know you're in here. Why are you crying?" Hermione recognized the familiar voice of Ginny and slid her test under the stall door. "Is this why?"

"It's not just that," she sobbed. "It's your stupid brother." At that point, Ginny knew exactly what was happening. She knew why Ron was acting all funny, too.

"Hermione," she started, "it's going to be okay--."

"No, it's not! Can't you see that? Ron doesn't like me, at least, not in the way that I like him. He would never like me."

Ginny didn't understand. Can't Hermione see that Ron is completely in love with her? Apparently, she didn't.

"Ginny, please, don't tell him," Hermione pleaded. "He would only laugh in my face. You know how he is."

Ginny didn't know what to say. She only had a clue why Ron was acting weird lately. She didn't know for sure, so she couldn't tell Hermione how he felt. She could only answer with, "Okay, I promise. And promise me that you will cheer up a bit. Everybody has bad days." Now, she had to find out how Ron really felt about Hermione. Hopefully, it would be the way that didn't break any hearts.