Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

It Had to Happen in Snape's Class by nerd2006

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2 - What Now?



Harry was aching. He had been in a lovely warm place, but his subconscious seemed determined to wake him up. Blearily, he opened his eyes. The fuzzy shapes at the side of his bed appeared to be Ron and Hermione, doing their homework. Licking his parched lips, Harry tried to clear his throat to get their attention, but all that came out was some kind of strangled grunt. Immediately, their heads snapped up.

"Harry!" they gasped simultaneously.

"It's about time, mate. You've been out of it for two days." Ron said, obviously relieved.

"Glasses? Water?" Hermione asked briskly, jumping out of her seat.

Harry nodded. As he did, he felt something rub against his head. He tried to lift his hand to find out what it was - probably a bandage; he vaguely remembered getting blood in his eyes - but to his dismay he discovered it held down by a thick strap. Damn.

“Oh yeah, Harry, Madam Pomfrey said she would take those off tonight," Ron replied to the puzzled look on Harry's face. "I'll go and find her now."

Everything came into focus as Hermione wordlessly slipped his glasses onto his face and put a glass of water up to his mouth.

"Thanks," Harry muttered hoarsely after taking a long drink. "What happened?"

Hermione sighed. Upon closer inspection she still looked a little pale. "You've been here two days. In Potions Monday your scar split open - that's why your head's bandaged - and you went into some kind of severe seizure-type thing. It's Wednesday night."

"Great. Just great. Now it's back to everyone staring and saying I'm still messed up in the head." While the other students' and the outside world's attitudes toward him had greatly improved since last year's interview and Fudge's removal, he didn't trust them a bit. He knew that they could revert to their previous mindset the instant a contrary article was published. "Dammit, I bet Malfoy's having a field day."

"Actually, he hasn't said anything -"

"Must've known it was his daddy's best mate - hope it shocked the hell out of him so he won't take that stupid mark -"

" - and yes, there are some who still think you're nuts," Hermione continued calmly, "but everyone who saw you - well, except the Slytherins of course - is more scared for you than of you. Yesterday, Susan, Terry, and the other Ravenclaws from class came by to visit. They know you can't help it." Her lip trembled. "It was so scary though... everyone could tell you were in terrible pain..." She squeezed his hand. "Even Dumbledore's not sure what happened. He wants to talk to you, but today he's at the Ministry of Magic with Lupin, who was here all day yesterday too, by the way."

"What're they doing at the Ministry?" Harry asked, curious.

"Talking to Minister Bones about changing the anti-werewolf legislation. They feel that other werewolves will be more willing to join” “ she glanced around and lowered her voice “ “the Order if they're free to travel and have equal rights," Hermione replied as Madam Pomfrey bustled over, followed by Ron.

"Quite right," Madam Pomfrey agreed firmly as she waved her wand over Harry and glanced at a readout that had appeared out of nowhere. "Well, Mr. Potter, you're doing much better. I admit I've never seen anything like your condition before, but you seem to be recovering nicely."
She eyed him beadily. "See that you take this potion - " she handed him a little bottle filled with bright orange liquid " - before you go to sleep and I might let you out of here tomorrow afternoon." With that, she performed a complicated wave of her wand, and the strips of black fabric binding Harry loosened. Madam Pomfrey gathered them up and headed back to her office.

Harry grinned and stretched. It felt wonderful - well, as wonderful as he could feel at the present. "What were those for, anyway?"

"'Cause you kept spasming and shaking. You finally pretty much stopped last night, but earlier your leg twitched and sent Hermione's Transfiguration notes everywhere," Ron replied, sniggering.

Hermione glared at Ron before turning to Harry. "That reminds me; Snape said that you could make up your Potions work for him one day after you get out of here."

“So what did the old git do when I collapsed, anyway?”

"What I hope any teacher would," Hermione answered briskly. "He was very worried... he tried some spells on you that I've never heard of before."

"Imagine that," Ron said in mock horror, rolling his eyes.

"Well, anyway, he came in here and stayed quite a bit Monday night, and he came in yesterday, saw Lupin, and turned around immediately," Hermione continued, ignoring Ron. “I expect that Dumbledore and him are trying to figure out what Voldemort’s up to “ don’t be such a baby, Ron!” she added as he flinched.

Harry yawned. He felt exhausted and his head was starting to pound.

"Right, you take your potion, and we'll come by and see you before class tomorrow morning," Hermione handed Harry the vial and kissed him on the cheek. "’Night, Harry."

"’Night," Harry replied as Ron lightly hit him on the shoulder.
Harry swallowed his potion in one gulp. Almost immediately, his headache and soreness eased.

As Ron and Hermione walked out of the hospital wing, Harry caught sight of their intertwined hands.

"Hey," he called out. They turned around. "It's about time."

They got it a few moments later. Almost in unison they blushed, shook their heads with a grin, and left. Soon after Harry felt the peaceful waves of sleep take over him.