Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

It Had to Happen in Snape's Class by nerd2006

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I don't know when I'll be able to post chapter seven, as I still haven't written it, and my beta is about to go on a trip. But I'll post it as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone who has reviewed so far, I really appreciate it. : )
Chapter 6 – Revelations



Severus Snape opened his eyes as he came to a stop in Dumbledore’s office. A post-Burning Day Fawkes chirped at him as he stepped out of the grate and brushed himself off.

“Severus, what is it?” The Headmaster was seated at his desk, ink and quill in hand.

“It’s Potter, Headmaster. The Dark Lord has attacked him again.”

Dumbledore said nothing as he stood up abruptly and hurried over to the fireplace, though his eyes exuded chilling fury and power as he disappeared in a burst of emerald flame. Snape followed immediately.

By the time Severus had returned to the hospital wing, Dumbledore was already by the boy’s side, talking to Madam Pomfrey. As Snape got closer, he could hear their conversation.

“…already taken a Blood Replenisher and a painkiller,” Madam Pomfrey was saying.

“What required burn paste?”

“He had a minor second degree burn along the left side of his face and ear. You’ll have to ask Severus what actually happened. I’ve healed the inside of his mouth and the abrasions on his forehead. This attack doesn’t seem to have been quite as intense as the last one; he didn’t have the violent seizure again – though that could be because Severus had him restrained…” With that the nurse turned around and headed back into her office.

“So Severus, what happened?” Dumbledore asked, his blue eyes now reflecting worry and fatigue. Snape sighed and took a breath.

“Potter had been in my office for a few hours, making up an assignment. I was analyzing the finished product when his scar burned. I asked what was wrong immediately. He said that the Dark Lord was punishing Avery, Macnair, and Lucius Malfoy, apparently for failing to earn the centaurs’ support. Then he started screaming; he didn’t stop until after I had returned with Poppy…” Snape shook himself. “He was grasping at his hair, which explains the abrasions, and he bit his tongue rather severely. I tied him up so that he wouldn’t hurt himself any further and retrieved Madam Pomfrey. We returned, and she examined him after he passed out. She left to prepare a cot, but before I could grab the boy he slid against that boiling cauldron, giving him the burn. Albus, this doesn’t seem to have been an orchestrated attack. It must have been another vision.”

“I agree, Severus. This doesn’t appear to be intentional on Voldemort’s part. This is more similar to Harry’s visions earlier this semester. We won’t know until he wakes, though.”

“Albus – “

“Yes, Severus?”

“I just cannot understand the Dark Lord’s reasoning for these attacks – there is no apparent strategy.”

Dumbledore nodded. “Yes, I cannot see a visible strategy either. But you are forgetting – many times the deep hatred of enemies and the need for their pain clouds the judgement of the brightest wizards. Voldemort is no exception; he chose this path long ago.”

The two men were silent for a moment, looking at the pale boy, who was sleeping peacefully for the time being.

“Headmaster - Poppy said the boy was undernourished. He is rather light for his age.’

Dumbledore’s blue eyes reflected resignation. “I cannot force the boy to eat – I can only help him understand the difference between obligations and choices. Perhaps you should talk to his friends, Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger. I must owl the Dursleys again.”

“You owl the Muggles?” Severus asked in surprise.

“It’s school protocol to contact the guardians of severely injured students. The Dursleys have never visited, of course.” With another sad look in Potter’s direction, the Headmaster left.

Severus stood there for a moment, wondering if he should stay there or head back to the dungeons. He could hear the students making their way through the corridors - lunch was over. Suddenly compelled to stay, rather than face the droves of moronic schoolchildren, he silently positioned himself in a corner.





“Oh, Severus, you’re still here.” Madam Pomfrey was walking over. “I need to check that burn; it should be healed by now.”

Shaken out of his reverie, Severus stepped back. He watched silently as Poppy performed a few diagnostic spells and Vanished the remaining burn paste, leaving the side of Potter’s face a dull red. “He’s going to have a scar on his ear,” Pomfrey remarked. “No disfigurement, just another mark to add to his collection.” She tsked, now examining the boy’s bandages.

Suddenly the Hospital Wing door flew open with a bang, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley running full-tilt into the infirmary.

“Harry!”

“Really! Miss Granger! Mr. Weasley! Contain yourselves! This is a hospital!” Madam Pomfrey squawked, flustered.

“What happened, Madam Pomfrey?” Granger asked as she fussed over Potter.

“I doubt that mauling Mr. Potter will better his medical condition, Miss Granger.” Snape sneered.

Granger opened her mouth, but Weasley beat her to the punch. “Why the hell are you here, anyway?”

“Twenty points from Gryffindor.” Snape said silkily. “Watch your language, Mr. Weasley. Another word and I will be persuaded to arrange a detention for you with Mr. Filch.”

Severus watched the tall boy flush a deep red with amusement. From his corner he could just barely hear the girl whispering furiously to Weasley, no doubt admonishing him.

The teenagers finally turned their full attention to their pallid friend. He could hear Poppy explaining what happened. Weasley left shortly after and returned with his sister. Snape looked away when Granger began to stroke Potter’s hair. Severus hated tenderness. It had never been directed towards him as a child, and he had learned to hate weak feelings as he grew older. There was no place for such emotions among the ranks of Death Eaters.

Snape left the hospital wing at seven to eat and check on his House. When he returned to the infirmary, the children were gone and Poppy had retired to her office. He quietly made his way over to Potter’s bedside and sat in one of the chairs vacated by Potter’s friends.

Potter was no longer sleeping peacefully. Severus could see his eyeballs moving rapidly beneath their lids, and his hand was twitching slightly. He watched the boy warily for a few minutes, wondering is he should get Pomfrey.

Suddenly, Potter jerked awake with a gasp, looking around wildly.

“Something wrong, Potter?” Snape asked mildly, masking his curiosity.

The boy looked as if he were having trouble speaking. “N-no,” he rasped.

Severus knew he was lying, but decided to drop it. “I imagine that your tongue is stiff from the healing charms. It is temporary. Water?”

Potter nodded and accepted the goblet with shaking hands.

“Here, Potter, before you drop the blasted thing.” Severus helped the boy tip the cool water into his awaiting mouth. “I doubt Madam Pomfrey will object to a Dreamless Sleep Potion,” he said, measuring a dose into the goblet. “Can’t have Dumbledore’s golden boy injuring himself again, now can we?”

Potter glared at him coldly. He wrenched the goblet from Snape and shakily downed the violet potion. He fell asleep instantly.

Severus sighed and stood up, stretching. He’d worry about everything tomorrow. Right now he felt like having a large glass of brandy.



Reviews are nice. : P