Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Lily Evans...Potter? by LilE

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The final chapter as James and Lily take a step closer the their fight against Voldemort.
You may think, in the telling of my story, that James and I had a perfect year. That, as they say, love conquered all. But it didn't. Much of our uneasiness came from one source: an evil wizard named Lord Voldemort.


He was a dark cloud on the horizon for many. His threat loomed over us. The Daily Prophet carried news of deaths almost everyday it seemed, of both Muggles and wizards. Hogwarts that year was not as lively as usual.

James and I were not too closely involved with what went on in the outside world. Both of us wanted to become Aurors. This had been a life-long dream of James's, but I had only begun to think of it late in my fifth year. It would be a different job for us with Voldemort in power. But we didn't know just how different until one day when we received a note from Dumbledore asking us to meet him in his office.

James and I went together, of course, at the appointed time, wondering what Dumbledore could want. We walked up to the gargoyle and spoke the password; it moved away, and we walked up the stairs. Dumbledore was sitting at his desk and smiled as we walked in.

"Ah, my favourite Head Boy and Girl," He said, eyes twinkling.

"Sir, we are your only Head Boy and Girl," James said.

"Yes, Mr. Potter, I know that, thank you." James looked at his feet, embarrassed. "It would seem that not only are you my favourite but that you favour one another as well." Dumbledore smiled and winked at me. It was my turn to be embarrassed. You couldn't hide anything from Dumbledore.

"But, I have not brought you here to discuss matters of the heart," he said, becoming very serious, "But to discuss Lord Voldemort. As I'm sure you know, he is becoming stronger every day. More wizards are joining his ranks, and they have taken to killing Muggles. I believe that the two of you are considering the occupation of Auror?" We nodded, he continued,
"I believe it is time for wizards to join tighter together and fight back. Lord Voldemort has a band of followers called Death Eaters, who claim loyalty to him and do his bidding. Even though there are many in the Wizarding world against him, I believe we need a specialized group of wizards to fight him, wizards who are strong enough to fight back and also willing to stand up to him. I'm afraid I don't quite trust all the Aurors the Ministry has and would like to have people I can trust on my side. This group will be called the Order of the Phoenix, a secret order to combat the evil of Lord Voldemort, and will be comprised of the wizards and witches that I invite to join. My question to you is: would you be willing to join? I have watched the two of you more than you know, and I think you would be extremely capable members."

"Yes, of course!" James said, as soon Dumbledore finished. I did not answer so quickly. Doubts clouded my mind. But then, as I looked at Dumbledore, I knew. He would never have asked me if he did not fully believe in me.

"Yes, Professor, I would be happy to." I told him.

"Wonderful!" He said, clapping his hands together. "I would like to ask you not to mention this to anyone else yet. I have not chosen all my members and do not want word of this leaking out. Although I believe you can rest assured that your other friends will be joining us, Mr. Potter."

"Thank you, Professor."

"These are dark times. But, with friendship and love, I think we shall, in the end, come out the victors, although it won't be an easy road and some will be lost. I take comfort in knowing I have the two of you on my side." And with a nod of his head, we were dismissed.

I had not realized it, but James had taken my hand during the latter part of Professor Dumbledore's speech. He didn't let go as we walked out of Dumbledore's office, out of the castle and began walking around the grounds. Both of us were very quiet.

We came up Hagrid, sitting outside of his hut. He waved to us, and we went over to him.

"Hello, Hagrid," I said, trying to sound cheerful.

"Hello, James and Lily. What be you doin' this afternoon? Ye both look a mite sad to me."

"Just walking. Nice day for it, you know." I replied, wishing James would try and be a little more like himself.

"Aye, 'tis a very nice day. Looking forward tae graduatin'? Tryin' for Auror, ain't ye?"

"Yes we are. But I must say, I do think I shall miss Hogwarts. And miss you as well, Hagrid."

"Oh, don't worry 'bout that. I don' stay here at Hogwarts all the time. I'll come visit yea."

Hoping he was right, the two of us stayed and talked to him a little while longer, James being a little more social. Finally, we moved on down towards the lake.

We watched the sunset, just the two of us sitting quietly together. James had his arms wrapped around me, and I sat leaning my head against his shoulder, content to do nothing. Suddenly James broke the silence,

"What do you think will happen to us, Lily?"

"I don't know, maybe nothing. But maybe..." I paused, "if we don't...if we don't make it, at least we'll have had each other. You've always wanted to fight evil, and now you have the chance."

He smiled, a sad smile though, "Yes, that is true. I've always fancied saving the world." He grinned down at me, but frowned again, "I just can't stand the thought of losing you, of not having you with me." He looked down at me. His dark eyes full of sadness but also of love.

"I'll always be with you, James. No matter what." He bent down and kissed me, softly, longingly. And so it was: we promised always to be there for each other, always to be together. I loved James too much to leave him.

I don't know what life holds for us, but at least we shall always have each other.


-----------
Chapter Endnotes: The End! Thanks for the reads and reviews! I apologize for taking so long! This was written and completed before Deathly Hallows and Half Blood Prince. So there may be some things that aren't canon. Sorry!