Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Map Making by black_ink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Part Two: The Marauders Map

“What are we going to call this map? Its only right that it has a name,” said Remus.

They all thought on it for a while. “How about ‘The Many Ways of Hogwarts?’” asked Peter.

“Nah, too obvious. We need something better,” said James.

“Okay, well lets think. Why did we want this map in the first place?” asked Remus to the others.

“To help us get around the school,” said Peter.

“Yeah. Well, what do we do when we go around the school?” asked Remus.

“Cause mischief!” said Sirius, laughing.

“True,” Remus supposed.

“We look around Hogwarts for new places to explore,” said James.

“Hey, do you remember when we were in Filch’s office last year and he left, so I took that weird object from the top of his desk,” said Sirius, as he looked back.

“Yeah. Why did you steal that?” asked James.

“Wanted to see the look on his face when he couldn’t find it,” said Sirius.

“He found it, though, and you got two weeks detention,” said James, smiling.

“Oh yeah. Forgot about that,” said Sirius.

“You stole from Filch? Are you mad, Padfoot?” asked Peter, disbelief on his face.

“Oh. That’s right you weren’t there,” said James.

“Stealing,” said Remus, almost in a whisper.

“Moony, what are you ranting on about?” asked Sirius.

“I know what to call the map. The Marauders Map,” said Remus, pleased with himself.

“Brilliant name!” said James. “Now there’s only one thing left to do… actually two things.”

“What are you talking about?” asked Sirius.

“He means the two spells I mentioned earlier. We just have to think of two phrases. One to open the map and one to close it,” said Remus.

“I promise…no. I swear that I am here to do dire things,” said Sirius. “Or something like that to open it.”

“I think its pretty good,” said Peter.

“Lets make it more…clean cut,” said Remus.

“If we must,” said Sirius.

“I… solemnly swear…that…” said Remus, the sentence left hanging.

“…that I am up to no good?” asked Peter.

“ ‘I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.’ Brilliant. We’re keeping that,” said Sirius.

Remus took a bit of parchment and quickly wrote down the words. “Now we just need another,” muttered Remus.

“I know. Padfoot, you said that we cause mischief, so what if the closing words are ‘mischief managed?’” asked James.

“That’ll work,” said Remus. He wrote those simple words down, as well.

“How do you do the spell?” asked James.

“The book said that we have to write down what we are going to say to close it on parchment, so I did that. Now I have to place it on the map, point my wand, and say… concealto!

They all waited for something to happen and then finally the words, drawings, all vanished from sight, as did the small bit of parchment. It looked like an unhindered-with piece of parchment; thee was absolutely nothing written on it. Remus placed the second bit of parchment on top of the larger one. Once again, he out his wand to the parchment.

Recupero!” Remus called out. The second piece of parchment vanished just like the first, but the drawings didn’t come back.

James was the one that decided to do something. He took out his wand and put it to the empty parchment. “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!” he said, trying to space out his words as he spoke them. As they watched, the words and lines seemed to have slowly crept onto the paper. They all exhaled loudly, relieved.

“Hey, look who’s taking a stroll outside near the Quidditch field,” said Sirius, smiling widely, but maliciously. They all watched as the little dot marked “Severus Snape” slowly made its way to the Quidditch field. “Lets go have a bit of fun!”

“Yeah!” the rest of them said, with amusement. They all got up and headed for the back of the portrait of the Fat Lady to leave. But then Remus ran back to the table, “Mischief managed!” After he saw the parchment go blank, he grabbed it, and they all exited Gryffindor Tower, for some fun.

A/N: Thank you all for reading my little story!!!! Hope you enjoyed it. If you would like to read a longer story by me you can check out "A Different Road" in the Dark/Angsty section. ~Sara