Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Soaked in the Sea of Envy by Ron Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 10 One Last Dream


To Hermione, the day seemed to have wasted away. She obtained nothing constructive except for what she found out about Beatrix’s old school and that didn’t get her too far. She went back to the library to check out the book All Knowledge of Magical People by Marian Gilson but it had already been checked out. Walking up to the Gryffindor Tower, Hermione thought about what the book said about the special conditions.

Beatrix couldn’t be a Seer, because that means she could tell the future. Though, she did know answers to the questions in Muggle Studies. The same answers I was about to give. She’s definitely not a Werewolf.

Hermione walked into the common room and took no notice to Harry, Ron, and Beatrix sitting in front of the fire, but went straight up to her dormitory. Beatrix looked at her for a moment, and then resided back towards Harry and Ron. As she entered the room, Hermione threw her bag on the floor next to her bedside table, and a small red book on her bed caught her eye. Her eyes widened as she read the title: All Knowledge of Magical People.

Where’d this come from?


She opened the book and began reading the text.

…An Animagus can change into the form of an animal. The magic for this transformation is complicated and very advanced, and very few Witches and Wizards even attempt it. The Ministry of Magic keeps a registry of known Animagi because of the potential for misuse of this skill. When a Wizard transforms into their animal form, some visual clue typically connects that form to the human…An Arithmancer is a person who is an expert on Arithmancy…Another rare gift is the Inner Eye, the ability to prophesize. A wizard with this gift is called a Seer…The ability to speak the language of snakes and to command them is extremely rare. It is considered to be the mark of a very dark wizard, associated with Salazar Slytherin, who had this ability. Very few Wizards are Parselmouths…Unlike some of the other types within the text, Metamorphmagi are born with the ability to change their appearance at will… A Legilimens is a wizard who has learned the art of Legilimency, sensing the thoughts of another person. Another factor such as this is proprius Legilimens. A Witch or Wizard is born with this type of ability. One cannot control it by force, but may dim other’s thoughts down to a dull roar by taking a simple draft in liquid or capsule form…The skill of Occlumency allows a person to block”wait. Proprius Legilimens.

Hermione looked up from the text and stared over at Beatrix’s Four Poster bed.

Beatrix is a proprius Legilimens. Of course! How can I be so stupid?

“But if she’s a friend of the Weasley family, I wonder if they know about it. Most likely I’m sure.”

Hermione thought back to when they were at the Burrow.

…she's being transferred from her old school to our school. She's in our year so she's going to be in all our classes, she's bright just like you, Hermione…Beatrix and I are going out...He did like you-very much actually. But he figured you’d only like people like Viktor. Why do you think he tried out for the Gryffindor Quidditch Team? Not just because he loves Quidditch, but because you liked Viktor and Viktor was in Quidditch. So he figured if you saw him in Quidditch you’d like him. But when you didn’t show much interest towards him joining, he thought you didn’t like him at all…Well thank you, Hermione…Beatrix don’t forget to take your you-know-what-

“Her you-know-what? That must be that green capsule was that she put in her mouth…and in Ginny’s room when we were back at the Burrow. So she’s not really bright at all. She just takes other people’s answers. Oh, I bet Ron will be surprised. Unless of course he already knew and backed up her lies. Ugh, he is so irritating sometimes.”

Hermione undressed, put on her pyjamas, and went to bed early. While lying in the silent, dark dormitory, her mind filled with visions she couldn’t even describe. She could hear faint noises from the common room coming through the crack of the door. She heard laughter; more than once Ron’s voice. The chilled air blowing through the cracks of the window brushed passed Hermione’s cheek and the hair on the back of her neck pricked. The visions in her mind flashed so quickly, she didn’t have time to give it an emotion. But a repeated vision kept racing through her mind; a moment Hermione cannot forget. As her eyelids grew heavy, the memory when she first saw Ron and Beatrix together rested in the back of her mind, and a tear rolled down into her pillow, evaporating her into the air.


Hermione did her best to avoid Beatrix at all costs. If she were in a class, she hummed a tune in her head; if they crossed paths in the corridors, she ignored the fact that Beatrix even existed; when it was time for dinner in the Great Hall, she hurried down and ate before most people could sit down.

One evening at the end of the week, as she was finishing up her pumpkin juice, Hermione stood up and pushed her way passed Harry, Ron, and Beatrix to go back up to the Gryffindor Tower. As she left, she heard Ron’s voice say, “Where you going, mate?” She wasn’t sure whether he was talking to her or someone else, but she didn’t answer either way. She climbed the Grand Staircase to the Gryffindor Tower (“Perturbo negotium”) and into the common room. Hermione grabbed her quill and a piece of parchment, and began writing a letter.

Dearest Viktor,

I know some time has passed since we have talked. You busy with Quidditch and me with my studies. I fancied hearing from you, finding out how you’re doing, whether anything’s new”


A slight creak of the floor behind her forced her stop writing.

“Hello, Harry,” she said not looking up from the parchment.

“How’d you know it was me,” he asked.

“I just knew. What do you want?”

“I…was just wondering if you’re okay.”

“Yes, Harry, I’m fine.”

“Honestly?”

“Does it matter?”

“Why wouldn’t it?”

Harry walked over to the large red couch and sat down turning towards Hermione. Hermione turned around and answered, “Because you went mad the last time I talked to you.”

“No, I went mad, because you and Ron quarrel about each other when everyone can clearly see you two care about each other.”

“Ron? Care? Harry, have you heard the latest things that came from his mouth? Plus, he’s only been either caring about himself or Beatrix.”

“Hermione, there’s more to him than you think.”

She turned back around and continued writing and responded, “Thanks for that. I’ll log that away.”

Hermione finished up the letter and stuffed it into an envelope.

“So are you going to tell me what’s on your mind, or not,” he asked gazing at her without a twitch of the eye. She stood up leaving the Gryffindor Tower with Harry following close behind. “Well?”

“Fine.”

As they made their way to the Owlery, Hermione told Harry about the book left on her bed and that she figured out Beatrix is a proprius Legilimen.

“Are you sure about that,” Harry asked.

“I’m positive. It all makes sense.”

“I guess. That’s kind of cool.”

“Cool? Harry, she’s a fraud. She gets all her answers from me,” she said as she opened the door to the Owlery and walked in.

“Come off it. If she takes a potion for it during the day then she can’t cheat off you.”

“What if she doesn’t take it?”

“Wouldn’t all the thoughts bother her? And her dad’s here. He’s probably making sure she does.”

“Maybe that’s why he’s filled the post for Defence Against the Dark Arts.” Hermione sent off an owl with her letter and they walked back down to the Gryffindor common room. “I mean, he is pretty lousy as a teacher.”

“No one’s worse than Lockhart though,” Harry added.

They walked up to the Fat Lady’s Portrait (“Perturbo negotium”) and walked inside.

“Harry, I really appreciate you listening to me.”

“No problem. That’s what I’m here for. So who did you send a letter to?”

“Oh”Viktor.”

Krum,” asked Ron, who was sitting with Beatrix, playing Exploding Snap.

Hermione didn’t answer, but sat down and opened up Sphinx, Tombs, and Pyramids, and began reading. After Harry joined in their game, Hermione occasionally glanced up at Beatrix. Once she caught Beatrix’s eye she thought, I know and then looked back down at her book.

After repeating this a few times, Beatrix stood up sharply and said, “I’m going to bed. Good night, Ron. Harry…Hermione.”

“Night,” Harry and Ron chimed back.

Hermione watched Beatrix close the door behind her and heard Harry ask, “Ron?”

“Yeah, mate,” Ron responded and grabbed a card.

Is there anything…unusual about Beatrix?”

Hermione peered over her book.

“Why do you ask,” Ron asked while looking over at Hermione.

She quickly pushed her nose deeper into her book, pretending to read again.

“Just wondering. She seems different.”

“So what if she’s different. Does it matter?”

“Ron, he was just wondering,” pointed Hermione as she placed her book next to her.

“Why was he wondering, Hermione? Was it because you told him about it? So you found out about her? Why are you making a big deal about it?”

“Ron…are you listening to yourself? You’re the one making a big deal.”

Now standing on his feet and his face turning red, Ron shouted, “Why are you even questioning about her? Who cares? Just because she’s not as perfect as you, you have to criticize every bit of her flaws! That’s what you did to Cho when Harry fancied her and now you’re doing it to Beatrix because I fancy her!”

Hermione stood up as well and retorted, “You don’t fancy her! I know you don’t! And I’m not criticizing her flaws! I didn’t even ask about her! Harry’s the one who did!”

“But you’re the one who had a problem with her from the beginning! You couldn’t leave it alone! You couldn’t ignore the fact that something was different about her and you had to meddle! And how do you know if I do or don’t fancy her? Did you read it in a book? Why don’t you just keep your bloody nose in your stupid books and out of people’s bloody lives!”

“WILL YOU TWO SHUT UP,” screamed Harry as he stood up between the two of them, holding them a part.

“Bloody hell, Harry,” Ron remarked. “You don’t have to shout. It was her fault anyway.”

Hermione gave an alarming look at Ron and stormed up to the girls’ dormitory, pushing Harry out of her way. She the slammed the door of her dormitory, and was surprised to find no one shifted in their beds. Without taking the time to change into her pyjamas, she lifted up the covers and hastily tucked herself in.

Ron is so unbelievable. I cannot believe him! I just want to”I just”I don’t even know! I want to curse him and counter-curse him just so I can curse him again! How can he say that about me? I didn’t even question about her! Ugh, Harry should learn to keep his mouth shut! How can he not see Ron being so vulgar? He’s never acted that way towards me before. Maybe he really does fancy her…

Hermione loosened her grip on her blanket and turned to her side, staring at the picture of her, Harry, and Ron from their fifth year. She gaped at the picture, watching Harry ruffle his hair and Ron peering over at her portrait self. She watched herself just gaze back at Harry and shoving him to the side as he tried to put bunny ears behind her head. She gave out a deep sigh and continued to stare at the picture as she felt her self drift off to sleep…

It was another perfect day and the sun shone radiantly through the openings of the clouds. It had to have been the first day of summer. I sat in front of the lake reading a book when a shadow had hovered over me and blocked my light.

“Excuse me,” I said as I turned around. “Oh. It’s you…”

Beatrix stood gazing down at me with a perturbed sort of look.

“What’s your problem? Don’t you ever torment other people’s dreams?”

“I want you to listen to me and I promise you I won’t bother your dreams any longer,” she pleaded.

I watched her golden hair get blown around by the cool spring breeze and noticed her crystal blue eyes twinkle as the sun beat down on her like she was the one to praise.

“Fine. I’ll listen,” I said hesitantly.

“Ron fancies you.”

“What?”

“He does. Honestly.”

“Yeah, okay then. If he fancies me then””

“”then he would be constantly talking about you.”

“Will you stop with your mind games? You may think they’re fun, but they’re not!”

“I’m not playing with you. Listen, I knew you wouldn’t believe me so I’m going to show you.”

“And how, pray tell, are you going to do that?”

The sun was now covered completely by thick clouds and it seemed to get darker by the second. I felt my heart beating faster as I watched Beatrix kneel down in front of me.

“Close your eyes,” she said calmly.

Without question, I did so.

“Okay, now open them.”

“Now what was the point of”Ron,” I shouted as I opened my eyes. I wasn’t by the lake anymore. I was sitting right on top of Ron at the Burrow with The Weasleys’ and The Cullums’ sitting around me. “Beatrix where are you?”

“Just listen,” I heard her say. “You’re me.”

“So what do you think of Harry and Hermione,” Ron asked.

“They’re nice. Hermione seemed a bit odd though. She doesn’t know about me does she,” I said, but I heard Beatrix’s voice.

“No, she doesn’t. But she’s so clever she’ll probably figure it out sooner or later. That’s what I like about her. She doesn’t try to be someone else. I think when I told her we were dating it gave her a shock though. Did you really have to kiss me?”

“I thought you wanted to make it believable? I mean, you said you wanted to make her a bit jealous. Wouldn’t that do it?”

“If she fancies me, yeah. I guess she doesn’t though.”

“It seemed like she did to mean. That outburst of hers was unexpected.”

I turned and looked to the entrance of the kitchen and I saw myself walk in. I heard Mrs. Weasley say, “There you two are,” and then room darkened until it was completely black. A blurry image of someone with ginger-red hair began to come into focus.

“Beatrix, what’s going””, I said.

“Shush,” I heard her say.

I was apparently now in the common room sitting across from Ron playing Wizard’s Chess and my other self was sitting at the table in the corner by the fire. He was talking fiercely about someone and glancing over by me at the table, but his mouth didn’t seem to be moving.

“She doesn’t get it! I didn’t mean to forget her birthday. I was just wrapped up with showing you around and”stupid! I thought too much on what I wanted to get her, I completely forgot what day it was! Why did I tell her I wouldn’t wish her a happy birthday at all? I bet she’s going to hate me forever. I wish she’d look at me so I could tell her happy birthday even though it’s passed already.”

Ron looked down at his black bishop and moved it to knock over the white castle.

“I really messed up. Beatrix, what should I do?” I felt my shoulders shrug. “I wish I could tell her how I feel about her. I really care about her. I wouldn’t ever want to purposely hurt her. She just doesn’t get it sometimes. Look at her over there,” he said, glancing over by me at the table. “Why’s everything so complicated? I’m losing my mind. I need to tell her how I feel…but not now. Maybe Christmas, that is, if she’s talking to me then.”

I felt my head nod.

“But I don’t like the fact she’s been leery towards you. She shouldn’t have a problem with you. You said you were listening to her before. What does she have against you?”

I felt my shoulders shrug again and I watched the black queen attack the white king. The room began to blacken and Ron’s face became blurry until I could see the lake come into focus and Beatrix standing in front of me.

“You…you knew how I felt about him and you still didn’t tell him? Even though you knew how I felt about you,” I said while I watched Beatrix nod. “So…you two weren’t actually dating. Ron just wanted to see if I got jealous? That is complete rubbish! I can’t believe he deceived me like that! Just get away from me!”

I turned and sat down on the ground with my knees in my chest.

“Take it any way you want, Hermione,” Beatrix said coolly. “You didn’t see everything. Ron cares so much about you. You ought to consider yourself lucky. Do you think he’s the type of person who’d actually waltz up to you and ask if you fancied him? Can you blame him for wanting to find out? To be honest, I thought it was harsh when he didn’t wish you a happy birthday”my apologies for that. But he loves you so much; I wish someone cared that much about me.”

I stared at the lake, counting the ripples as they crashed into the sand.

“Well, I’ve done what I came to do. The rest is up to you. You won’t see me in your dreams intentionally anymore. Bye, Hermione.”

I lifted my head from my arms and turned around, but she was gone. The clouds above seemed to disappear and the sun shone heavily warming my skin once more, and I felt a smile spread over my face. Everything felt right. Everything seemed to be okay now.


Hermione quickly opened her eyes and noticed she was staring straight up at the ceiling of her Four Poster bed. Sitting abruptly, she thought, Was that just dream? But just as she finished her thought, she noticed someone out of the corner of her eye. She turned towards Beatrix’s bed and saw her sitting up in her bed staring back at Hermione. Her fare skin reflected the moon shining through the window and her icy eyes seemed to glow.

Hermione didn’t know exactly what to say, just the first thing that came to her mind.

Thanks”and I’m sorry.

She smiled when she saw Beatrix grinning back at her. Hermione lied back down, pulling the blanket up to her neck, and fell right back to sleep with the same smile intact until the moment she woke up the very next morning.