Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Soaked in the Sea of Envy by Ron Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 11 The Surprise Visit


On her way down to breakfast, Hermione couldn’t hide the massive smile across her face. As she walked passed Draco Malfoy, he sent hissing sounds at her and Pansy Parkinson mocked her cheerful mood by crossing her eyes, showing off a dumbfounded expression, and skipping in place. This didn’t bother Hermione. They didn’t know what she knew, and nothing could break her high spirit. Even Peeves couldn’t. He crashed a knight’s armour suit in front of her, almost biffing her, and Hermione responded by flashing him a smile and shake of her head.

Entering the Great Hall, Hermione scanned the room on the morning of Halloween.

This is the best Saturday of the year.

She strolled over to the Gryffindor table, still unable to hide her smile, and sat down next to Harry.

“Morning, Harry,” Hermione chirped. “Great day, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Harry responded inquisitively. “Swell.”

Hermione began eating her breakfast as Harry, Ron, and Ginny gawked at her.

“Er--Hermione?” Ron asked. “Are you feeling alright?”

“I’m feeling great, Ron,” she answered. “Thanks for asking.”

She sent him a smile and continued eating as the three sat with their jaws open. Ginny shook her head and asked, “Where’s Beatrix?”

“She’s with Lavender and Parvati. Showing her something. I forget what exactly.”

“Here she comes now,” Ron added.

Hermione turned to see Beatrix strolling up to the table with Lavender and Parvati at her side. She sat down next to Hermione and began eating, flashing Hermione a smile. Ron glanced back at the two and asked, “Is everything okay, Beatrix?”

“Yes.” Ron must’ve thought a question at Beatrix, because she nodded and answered, “Yeah.”

Ron’s face immediately turned red and he looked down at his plate.

What did he ask her? I wonder if it was if I knew he fancies me.

Hermione noticed out of the corner of her eye Beatrix nodding. She looked over by Ron, and for the first time of the day, Hermione’s smile faded.

Why’s he acting this way?

By Harry’s face expression, it seemed he thought the same question. A letter falling in front of her face had interrupted Hermione’s thoughts. She snatched it up, and opened it. Realizing whom it was from, she tucked the parchment back in the envelope and stuffed it in her knapsack.

“What’s that?” Ginny asked, though regrettably did as soon as she saw Hermione shoot a glare at her. Having no choice, Hermione answered,

“Viktor.”

She looked around at the silent four and without thinking, Hermione stood up and chimed, “Happy Halloween,” and left the Great Hall. She didn’t know where she was going; she just knew she needed some air, and wandered aimlessly throughout the grounds.

Morning turned to day, and day soon turned to night. The Halloween Feast was about to begin and Hermione awoke to find she had fallen asleep underneath a tree near the lake. She looked down at her watch, her eyes widening, and rushed back to the castle. Entering the Great Hall, she was fortunate to see the feast hadn’t begun. As she brushed the blades of grass off her robes, Hermione spotted Harry, Ginny, and Beatrix sitting at the Gryffindor table. It seemed like they hadn’t moved from the spots Hermione left them in from this morning. She walked up and sat down to three grinning faces. Hermione glanced confusedly at them and watched Beatrix’s smile diminish.

“Nope,” Beatrix sighed, “they weren’t together.”

“Who weren’t together?” Hermione asked.

“You and Ron,” Ginny answered brightly. “Ron left right after you this morning and we haven’t seen either of you until now.”

“Oh, he wasn’t with me. I went for a walk and fell asleep by the lake.”

“Sounds exciting. Should’ve known.” Hermione sent a shocked glance towards Ginny. “Oh no worries. I’m talking about Ron. He’s too daft to know what to do now that you know he fancies you.”

“Yeah, about that. Beatrix, are you sure he still does?”

Beatrix looked up from her grub, glimpsing around at the three, and nodded.

“Where is Ron anyway?” Harry asked, looking around. “He never missed a meal.”

“Yeah, that’s odd. Thinks we should go look for him?”

“I’m sure he’s fine,” remarked Beatrix. “Ron’s a big bloke. He can take care of himself.”

“No,” Ginny sniggered, “he can’t.”

The four stood up and made their way out of the Great Hall. Hermione’s stomach grumbled; she hadn’t eaten since the early morn and now she would have to miss another meal. Sighing, she caught up with the others and bustled up the Grand Staircase to the Gryffindor Tower. When they reached the Fat Lady’s Portrait, the Fat Lady wasn’t to be found. Hermione looked around and found her conversing in a nearby painting. After several minutes of persuading her to break away from a conversation, they convinced the Fat Lady to go back to her portrait and let them to the common room.

Entering the candle lit room, the four saw a ginger haired boy sitting in front of the fire with a blank expression as if mesmerized by the crackling flames.

“Ron!” Beatrix shouted. “Where have you been all day?”

Ron tore from the flames, his eyes wandering between Hermione and Beatrix, and answered, “Just--thinking.” Hermione could see Beatrix intently staring at Ron. Ron jumped up and added, “Has the feast started?”

“Yeah,” Harry answered, “that’s why we came up here looking for you.”

Forcing a smile, Ron said, “Well, what are we waiting for? There’s some plates of food with my name on it.”

He flashed Hermione a smile as he brushed passed her and out of the common room. Hermione smiled to herself.

He’s back to normal.

***


As the days went on, Hermione’s opinion about Ron decreased more and more. She noticed him avoiding anywhere her or Beatrix had been. If they were sitting in the Great Hall, Hermione swore, by Ron’s facial expression, he debated whether he should sit by them or Ravenclaw, but he always ended up sitting next to Dean and Seamus; in the common room, Hermione would be working on her knitting when Ron would walk in and either immediately leave or rush up to the boys’ dormitories. After every encounter with Ron, Hermione noticed Beatrix’s disgruntled expression. Hermione knew Beatrix read Ron’s mind and knew what was bothering him. Every so often, Hermione would catch Beatrix shift her eyes back and forth from her work to Hermione. Beatrix knew something was the matter, and it had to do with Hermione.

The following Saturday was the first Quidditch match: Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. It was a rather excellent match, too. But, Hermione noticed a certain Keeper was a bit distracted. Ron let the Quaffle in a few time, but, thankfully, Harry caught the Snitch that won against Slytherin two hundred and ten to sixty. Everyone around Hermione jumped up, cheering in excitement, but she found herself remained sitting and not as enthused. Her stomach lurched inside her as if it were to come up her throat.

She watched the ginger haired Quidditch Captain run over to Harry and leaping on him, practically knocking him over. A grin grew across Hermione’s face as she continued to watch him. He turned to the Gryffindor stand and seemed to be looking for someone. He looked directly at Hermione, smiling and waving. Her smile grew and was about to wave back when she noticed Beatrix waving at him.

He’s waving at her?

Hermione glared at Beatrix crossly until Beatrix turned and noticed. Beatrix gave her a puzzled look, and Hermione just stormed out of the stands and left the Quidditch Field.

I can’t believe he was waving to her!

Hermione stopped in her tracks, halfway between the castle and the Quidditch Field.

Well…maybe he was waving at me--or both of us. I mean, we were standing next to each other.

Hermione took her time so the other students caught up to her.

What if he really doesn’t fancy me? What if Beatrix made it up so I’d shut up? Ugh! I can’t stand her! Why does she do this? Why is she so evil? I’m going to find out once and for all what’s happening, and who Ron really likes.

Over the next month, the trio turned into singles and doubles. Every time Hermione saw Ron, she made an attempt to talk to him, but he turned around and walked the other direction before she could saw a word. Hermione found herself sitting with herself most of the time. With Ron avoiding her, she avoiding Beatrix, and Harry disappearing every so often, she didn’t have anyone to talk to except Ginny once in awhile.

“No worries,” Ginny would say. “Ron will soon come around. You’ve got to realize who you’re talking about.”

Hermione knew who she was talking about, and Ginny was right, but not it was the beginning of the holidays and Ron still hadn’t spoken a word to her. He never made eye contact with her in classes, or sat anywhere near her in the Great Hall or the common room. She was beginning to believe Ron wanted to save her the embarrassment of making a fool out of herself by not coming in contact with her.

I bet Beatrix made up that rubbish on what Ron said. If Voldemort could do it to Harry, she most likely did it to me!

As everyone packed their trunks, getting read to leave for home, Hermione sat in the Great Hall, getting a head start on the assignments due after the holidays. She listened to the commotion of students conversing on their holiday plans and Professor Flitwick’s consistent humming. Hermione heard footsteps walking towards her as she continued to scribble incantations from her books to a piece of parchment.

“Hi,” a voice dully said.

“Hi, Harry,” she answered as she quickly looked over at him and back down at her paper.

“How are you?”

She didn’t intend on responding, but she glanced over at the Great Hall entrance, saw Ron, threw down her quill, and blurted, “You know what bothers me?”

“Er--not having enough homework to keep you busy over the holidays?”

“Ron completely ignoring me for no reason at all. He’s such a bloody git.”

“Well, no, but there is a reason.”

“What’s that?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders and answered, “When he acts odd, her usually has a good reason.” Or maybe he’s just a bloody git. “Are you going to say goodbye to Beatrix?”

“Where’s she off to?”

“Grandparents with her mum.”

Good.

“Yeah, I’ll come.”

Hermione followed Harry up to the Gryffindor Tower, pushing her way passed a group of bundled up Hufflepuffs. When they entered the Gryffindor common room, Ron and Beatrix were playing a game of Wizard’s Chess. At the site of Hermione, Ron promptly stood up, opened the door to the boys’ dormitories, and uttered, “Bye, Beatrix. Happy Christmas.”

“Bye, Ron,” Beatrix sighed as he slammed the door. Harry walked passed Beatrix and repeated, “Happy Christmas,” and went into the boys’ dormitories as well. Hermione did her best to keep an unsympathetic attitude as she asked,

“Do you need help with anything?”

“No, I pretty much have everything in my trunk already.”

“Oh.”

Hermione eyed a second year exiting the common room, leaving them two the only once left in the silent sunlit room. Hermione looked around, trying to move, but deep inside she knew she wanted to know the facts.

“So,” Beatrix began, breaking the silence, “what’s on your mind?”

“Wouldn’t you know already?” Hermione asked tartly.

“You’ll feel better if you get it out in the open.”

“HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW I’LL FEEL? YOU MAY READ PEOPLE’S MINDS, BUT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FEELINGS!”

Hermione stopped herself as a couple of first years walked in. They stared at Hermione wide eyed, not sure if they should walk passed her. By Hermione’s red face and cheesed expression, they decided to escort themselves out. Hermione looked back over at Beatrix, waiting for her word.

“Feel better?” she asked.

“No I don’t ‘feel better’. How does Ron truly feel about me?”

“I don’t know--”

“Don’t tell me ‘you don’t know’. I know you know!”

“He hasn’t spoken to me about that--”

“He doesn’t have to talk to you about it,” Hermione strongly informed. Beatrix’s eyes softened and she began walking to the girls’ dormitories. “Will you just tell me?” Hermione asked rudely. “You’ve got such a unique and terrific talent--” she added sarcastically.

Beatrix hastily turned around as the two climbed the stairs to their room and shouted, “You think it’s terrific? By all means, you can have it!”

Some younger years poked their heads out of their rooms as the two continued their row and walked passed their doors.

“Oh yeah, it’s a dreadful burden to get the answers for questions from someone else, or know what someone thinks about you!”

“That’s what it’s all about, right? Just a load of fun? Why don’t you be me for a day, hearing two side of someone. Try ignoring the fact that someone can’t stand you, yet pretends to be mates to your face.”

Beatrix opened the door to their dormitory, stomped over to her bed, and closed the curtains as she sat down on her bed. Hermione rushed over to Beatrix and pulled aside the curtains and shouted,

“Just tell me what you know! Please.” Beatrix looked up at Hermione with her crystal blue eyes filled with sparkling tears ready to overflow and shook her head. “What is the bloody deal?”

“Do you think I fancy having this? I don’t. I hate it! Yeah, I know how he feels, but it’s not my place to tell you. You’re going to have to find out yourself.”

“But--”

“I don’t care if he’s been avoiding you. If you want to honestly find out then you’ll just have to make an effort to get an answer.”

Beatrix grabbed her curtain from Hermione and closed herself in her Four Poster bed. Hermione stood alone in the still room, looking around, not knowing what to do. She had no one to talk to now.

As the sun set, Hermione’s stomach ached more and more. She wasn’t sure why she felt this way, but she decided to go to bed early to get rid of it.

***


She hadn’t slept well that night. Throughout the first quarter moon shining through the window, Hermione tossed and turned in her bed, hardly sleeping a wink. She woke with a grumble and noticed the dormitory was empty. Beatrix had already left with her trunk, and an envelope laid at the foot of Hermione’s bed. She opened it up to read a Christmas card from Beatrix that read,

Merry Christmas

Hope your holiday is as joyous
and splendid as it should be.
Beatrix

Hermione got dressed and staggered down to the Great Hall. Everyone was in a bustle, dragging their trunks behind them out of the Gryffindor Tower. Hermione watched students depart passed her out of the Great Hall, and caught Harry, Ron, and Ginny sitting around the centre of the Gryffindor table. To her surprise, Ron hadn’t budged from his seat as she sat down. Now was the time to say something.

It’s now or never.

“Ron, I--” she began, but a surprising voice from the hall entrance froze her in place.

“Herm-own-ninny!”

Hermione’s eyes grew wide as she turned around to see Viktor Krum standing before her, while girls sniggered around the room at the site of his gorgeousness. She gritted her teeth in surprise, and turned back to a cross red faced Ron staring at the Great Hall doors.