Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Soaked in the Sea of Envy by Ron Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 12 Krum's Gift


Not a sound came from Ron's mouth, but his scarlet face and pierced eyes shown of anger. Hermione's eyes bounced around as she sat still not knowing what to do. As Krum walked over to their table, Ron pulled his belongings closer to himself, clenching them tightly.

"Herm-own-ninny, Happy Early Christmas! Are you surprised?" Krum asked, sitting down and looking over at Ron. "Vy so glum?"

Ron didn't answer. He sat seemingly infatuated with the table as he stared at it contently. Hermione bit her lower lip and looked back at Krum, and asked, "Viktor, what are you doing here?"

"In your letter you said you var having a horrible time, so I thought I vood surprise you. That's not a problem, is it Herm-own-ninny?"

Ron gritted his teeth as Hermione responded, "No. No, no. Don't be silly. It's not a problem." Harry and Ginny exchanged puzzled glances and resided with their breakfast. "So where are you staying--and how long?"

"A couple of days. I'm staying in Hogsmeade until the day after Christmas."

"Oh, well how's Quidditch been going?"

"Very good. Lost a few, but von a lot. Might even make Quidditch Vorld Cup again." Krum reached inside his pocket and pulled out two flimsy pieces of paper and offered, "I haff two extra tickets for our match in the summer if you vood like them."

Hermione was a bit hesitant, but took the tickets and said, "Thanks."

Krum looked around at Harry, Ron, and Ginny and announced, "I must be going now. I'll see you later, Herm-own-ninny."

He stood up, leaving the Great Hall and gaping girls. Though too late, Ron shouted, "Its HERM-MY-OH-KNEE!"

The three sat staring at him as his face turned from a ruby red to a light pink.

"Bit late on that one, Ron," Ginny stated. He frowned profusely at her as the snowflakes from the ceiling continued to fall and melt on the table.

It was quite awkward having Krum sit with them that evening at dinner. Hermione constantly peered over at Ron, who seemed as if he were to leap on Krum at any given moment as Krum continued his talk on Quidditch. He stared at Krum as if he were a bug that needed to be squashed immediately.

Ron did seem a bit calmer when they went up to the Gryffindor common room (considering Krum wasn't allowed to come inside). Krum wished Hermione a splendid evening, and departed back to Hogsmeade.

After sitting in silence for several moments, Hermione bid Harry, Ron, and Ginny goodnight, and went up to the dormitories to sleep.

In the morning, Hermione woke to a cloudy grey Christmas morning with snowflakes falling dramatically from the sky. She wrapped herself in her dressing gown, grabbed Harry, Ron, and Ginny's gifts, and walked down the stairs to the common room. She found the three already awake and opening presents. Ron stood up, walking over to her, handing her a package, and said, "Here, it's from mum."

She sheepishly smiled as he turned and sat back down. Hermione passed out her gifts and opened up the gifts she received. From Harry, she got a Pocketscope--a telescope to fit directly in your pocket--and a book on all constellations and their myths; she received a package of quills from Ginny, another sweater from Mrs. Weasley, and two new books from her parents.

When she thought she had opened all her gifts, Ron walked over with a rather small package.

"Here," he said, shoving it in her face. She pulled on the ribbon and he quickly added, "Don't open it now. Wait until later."

The two locked eyes until Ginny pranced over and screeched, "Hermione thanks so much the charm bracelet. I'm sure it'll come in handy for studying for Charms."

"It's no problem. Thanks for the new quills. I've dreadfully needed some new ones."

"Shall we go down for breakfast?"

"Yeah, let me put my things away and get dressed first."

Hermione brought her gifts up to her dorm and got dressed. As she pulled her sweater over her head, the gift from Ron taunted her.

What's in it? I wonder if I can open it now.

She reached down to pull off the ribbon, but Ginny walked in and asked, "Ready?"

Hermione stood abruptly and answered, "Yeah."

"What's that?" Ginny asked, walking in.

"I don't know. It's from Ron."

"Well, let's get out of here before it explodes then."

Hermione sniggered as her and Ginny walked down to the common room. Before closing the door, Hermione took one last glance at the gift, leaving it sit in silence.


Harry and Ron sat patiently in conversation about something as Hermione and Ginny walked in.

"Ready now?" asked Harry.

Hermione gazed at Ron intently wondering what he was thinking. Ron looked back at her as he walked passed her and out of the Gryffindor Tower. Walking down the Grand Staircase, Hermione watched his every move; watching his every step; she stared at his hand as it scratched his arm.

Must be Mrs. Weasley's sweater.

She was so intuned with her gaze, she hadn't notice someone calling her name or Ron stopping sharply in front of her.

"Hermione!" Harry shouted, grabbing her before knocking Ron completely down their steps. She hovered an inch from Ron's head and took a deep breath through her nose.

Wow...he has excellent smelling hair.

"Herm-own-ninny?" a voice asked, bringing her back to her senses. Krum walked up the stairs to her. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, thanks."

He grabbed her hand and pulled her down the stairs. She looked back at Ron, who looked disappointed as if they lost a Quidditch match. Krum dragged her into the Great Hall as she asked, "What's the hurry?"

"I haff got something for you. Come see."

He brought her to the centre of the Gryffindor table where a tiny silver box sat innocently. Hermione stared at it and then at Krum.

"Vell," he said, "open it."

She lifted the top of the box as Harry, Ron, and Ginny walked up. Hermione's eyes widened as she saw what lied inside. A Sapphire pendant enveloped by petal-shaped diamonds forming the shape of a snowflake linked to a silver chain lied exceptionally dainty inside the box. Her mouth hung open in awe, unable to make even a slightest squeak.

"Vot do you think?"

"It's...it's beautiful."

She never saw anything more beautiful in her life, but at the same time she felt dissatisfied. Forcing herself to smile, she gave Krum an enormous hug. She turned around to show Ginny, but instead she came across a very irritated Ron. His face glowed of bright red, and it seemed he would explode on the spot.

"Ron, is something vong?"

Ron blew smoke from his nose and charged out of the Great Hall. Hermione stared at the doors, handing Krum the gift she received from him, and rushing off after Ron. She glanced down the corridor to see Ron no where in sight.

He sure moves fast when he wants to.

Running down the corridor, she checked every spot where he could be.

Where is he?

She continued searching the castle and grounds, asking anyone she ran into, but no one had seen him. Hermione almost gave up hope when she remembered the one place she hadn't looked.

The common room.

Hermione rushed off to the seventh floor.

"Perturbo negotium."

She walked into the common room to find a crisp, still room. Hermione deeply sighed as she dropped down on a large scarlet couch.

I don't know where else to look.

She rested her head on her hand, and stared at the wall.

Where could he be? I feel so horrible. Why did Viktor have to give me that necklace? I bet that made Ron feel like his gift was rubbish. His gift!

Hermione sat upright and hurried up to her dormitory. She opened the door to see the box neatly wrapped on her bed as she left it. She sat down, placing the gift tidily on her lap, and pulled the ribbon off ever so gently. As the ribbon fell to the floor, Hermione flinched as the sides of the box robotically folded out in her lap. Her heart began to race as she sat staring at the astonishing gift she received from Ron.




A/N: Not the end of the story. Read my personal information for chapter explanation.