Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Soaked in the Sea of Envy by Ron Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 13 Hermione’s Best Present


Hermione sat breathless, staring at a mahogany handcrafted box. She wasn’t sure whether to open it or let it sit there. She looked around for a handle to open it, but there wasn’t one to be found. She could clearly see the top swung open, but it didn’t budge as she tried pulling it up. Waiting for it to do something, Hermione never turned her eyes away from it.

Come on, I know you do something.

A noise outside her room startled her, forcing her head to turn towards the door. The constant scratching sound puzzled her. Setting the wooden box on her bedside table, she walked over to the door, and opened it to see an orange blur scamper passed her feet.

“Oh, Crookshanks, it’s just you,” she said relieved.

The cat leaped onto her bed, climbed onto the table, and began scratching its chin on the edge of the box.

“Crookshanks, no!” she shouted as she walked over, but stopped suddenly as she saw the top of the box begin to open. The orange feline hissed profusely until Hermione picked him up and held him in her arms. Her eyes never tore away from the box as it began to unravel. The top of it lifted backwards and two sides then folded out with one figurine”a boy and a girl”on each side. The inside was aligned with black velvet. Hermione went to touch the inside when an intrinsic melodious tune began to play.

“A music box,” she gasped.

The sides that had folded out began moving closer to themselves until they connected, and the boy and girl began walking closer together. The boy bowed to the girl, and the girl curtsied to him. Hermione never took her eyes off the two; she never blinked a wink. Her eyes contained a light coat of tears that reflected the image of what she was witnessing. The girl and boy began to dance to the music box melody across the tiny floor.

The trance she was held in broke free as she jerked in her seat when a drawer from the bottom of the box popped out. Hermione peered inside to find a blank piece of parchment, but what Hermione noticed was it didn’t stay blank for long. As the musical tune continued and the boy and girl danced, a voice began to speak; a voice Hermione knew quite clear. It was Ron’s. She listened closely to each word he said, and noticed that every word spoken appeared on the empty parchment. She noticed the words were in tune with the musical score.

The first few words Ron spoke seemed quite informal, but as the poem progressed, it showed pure deep emotion”in the best way Ron could deliver it.



I’m not exactly sure what to say,
I hope this doesn’t end in dismay.
Wait, is it on? Is it already time?
It is? Bloody hell, it’s put into rhyme.
Bugger, well Hermione, please mind the beginning.
It’s not important to what I’ll be saying.
It’s hard to say, so bear with me please.
But what I mean to say is, you’ve got me weak in the knees.
Weak in the knees? That’s not what I meant.
I mean something more, something quite pleasant.
You are my sun shining like from the day of our first meet.
You are the sparkle in my eyes and the reason candy tastes so sweet.
There’s an endless list of how you pulled me through.
If it weren’t for you I’d still be in Basic Spells Year Two.
You gave me confidence, not only in school.
But even at times when things were uncool.
I wish I could say how I feel about this bloody rhyme.
But I’m being told I’m almost up for time.
This isn’t the most thoughtful or unique kind of way.
But, for the most, it’s bringing across what I’m trying to say.
At times it may seem that you irritate me to where I can’t stand you.
But the truth is I care deeply, Hermione, I love you.
Alright, I’m done, you can turn it off.
Oh, and for help on writing, send an owl to Marcus McHoff.



The paper folded itself up as the drawer closed. The music ended, and Hermione noticed the two figurines stopped dancing and looked up at her with their glass eyes. They looked somewhat familiar to her, and after a moment of thought she realized the girl was her and the boy was Ron.

Her heart beat so fast, and she began to feel dizzy.

Oh…my gosh.

That’s all Hermione could think. The boy and girl continued to stare up at her, but Hermione still couldn’t move. She didn’t know what to think. She stood up, staring at the wall across the room, and, forgetting about Crookshanks, she accidentally dropped him on the ground. He gave out a wild hiss and sprawled underneath her bed.

“Oh I’m sorry, Crookshanks!” she sympathized. “But, oh…what am I going to do?”

She turned back to the little figurines, and saw they were still staring at her.

“I’ve got to find Ginny.”

***


Running back down to the Great Hall, Hermione crashed into Ginny, almost knocking her to the floor.

“Ginny!” Hermione shouted. “I’m so sorry! I was just looking for you!”

“What a coincidence,” Ginny inferred coolly as she balanced herself. “I was looking for you.”

“What do you need?”

“Nothing, I””

“Well, come with me!” Hermione interrupted. “I have to show you something.”

Hermione grabbed Ginny’s cloak and dragged her across the corridor.

“Hermione”what are you”you’ve got”STOP!”

“What?” Hermione asked, stopping short.

“Where are we going?”

“My dormitory, now come on!” Hermione ordered, tugging again at Ginny’s sleeve and began climbing up the Grand Staircase. “You know that gift from Ron?”

“Did it explode?”

“No. Just come see.”

They entered the common room with Hermione still pulling at Ginny’s clothes.

“So, what is it?” Ginny questioned, trying to get some answers to why she’s be dragged throughout the castle.

“It’s this type of music box. I’m not sure how to open it, but when I spoke it opened up. I want you to say something when we get there to see if it opens by any voice.”

Hermione opened the door to her dormitory, walking over to her bedside table to see the box tightly closed as she first seen it. The two stood silent for a few moments until Hermione peered over at Ginny who looked back at her. Hermione shook her head and made a hand gesture for Ginny to say something. Ginny sighed and loudly announced, “Ron Weasley is a bloomin’ pillock.”

Ginny received a glare from Hermione that forced her to ask, “What?”

Hermione rolled her eyes and kept a close watch on the box. Nothing happened. Hermione then added, “Open up, it’s me.”

Ginny stared at her in confusion; Hermione took no noticed to this. The box sat doing nothing for a tick, but then suddenly it began its magic. Hermione and Ginny watched and listened to the soothing gift; Hermione glanced at Ginny now and then, noticing her mouth drop in astonishment. This time instead of watching the words appear, she observed the boy and girl entranced in their dance.

When it ended, the boy and girl once again stared up at Hermione. Ginny opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

“Well?” Hermione asked, but Ginny still couldn’t find the words to say. “What should I do?”

“Well that’s obvious. Go find him!” Ginny advised.

“I’ve tried. I’ve looked everywhere. He’s not anywhere.”

“I have a suggestion,” a little voice below them squeaked. Hermione and Ginny looked down at the boy and girl and noticed the boy holding the girl’s hand and asked, “Have you looked in the Room of Requirement?”

“How do you”” Hermione began.

“We’re programmed to know,” the girl interrupted.

“But what do I say to him?” she asked, turning to Ginny.

Ginny glimpsed down at the boy and girl and answered, “Ask them. They seem to know.”

Hermione looked down as well, and saw the boy and girl absorbed in a kiss. She looked over a Ginny, who confirmed this plan with a slight nod. A wide smile spread across her face and grabbed the music box. Two tiny ‘woahs’ gasped from the boy and girl inside the box.

Carrying the box in her hands, she hurried out of the Gryffindor Tower and down the corridor to find the tapestry showing Barnabas the Balmy. After finding it, she spotted the door already visible and slowly walked in.

Hermione fiercely gazed around at decorated room. Strands of garland hung from the ceiling, and titbits of mistletoe and holly hovered daintily in assorted places. A Christmas tree no taller than Hermione sat in the corner with a few wrapped gifts underneath it. Ron seemed to be no where in sight, but the sound of the door closing told her otherwise.

“Hi…” he muttered slowly.

“Hi,” she replied, eyeing the attractive decor around the room. “Did you do all this?”

“No, I”er”wished it to be like this.”

“Oh.”

“And Dobby helped a little,” he added.

They both stood staring down at the floor, trying to think of something to say.

“I”” he began, but broke off as their eyes met. Hermione smiled, and Ron’s face turned from shady pink to bold red. She knew what he wanted to say, but she waited patiently for him to find the words.

After a few spats of ‘I”er”I just’, Hermione stepped closer to him and whispered, “I loved the gift.”

Her comment seemed to put him at ease, because a pleased grin crept upon his face. He skimmed above their heads, detecting mistletoe appearing above their heads, and peered back down into Hermione’s eyes. Her heartbeat raced rapidly as he moved closer to her face.

Ohmygosh”ohmygosh”ohmygosh

As she closed her eyes, she immediately felt his soft tender lips against hers immersed in an informal passionate kiss. She held her breath; ecstatic that she is finally sharing a kiss with the one she contained deep feelings for, for five years. Thoughts and images flashed in her mind as she felt his hands on her arms, pulling her closer to him. To her surprise, her heart seemed to slow down to a normal pace. Everything just seemed right.

A few moments passed and Ron broke away from the kiss. To her despair, the kiss ended. She hoped for it to go on forever, but she knew it couldn’t.

“Merry Christmas, Hermione,” he whispered deeply. She stared into his eyes, and swiftly stood up on her toes, wrapping her arms around his neck, and engaged him with a massive hug.

“Thank you,” she whispered back.

The room filled with a chilled air and as the evening seem begin quickly. They stood in the room holding each other as a light music began to play. As candles dimmed, they began to sway in a slow dance that Hermione wished would never end.


A/N: Please read Personal Information again.