Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Soaked in the Sea of Envy by Ron Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 14 A New Beginning


It felt as though Christmas stretched out into two days. The day after Christmas, Hermione woke up bright and early still astounded by what happened not even twenty-four hours ago. As she dressed in her normal attire, the repetitive image of her and Ron in the Room of Requirement danced in her head. To her, it was a complete and unbelievable fantasy; it was a dream that she only imagined in her head—apart from the excessive singing and doves flying about everywhere.
She never dreamed of Ron doing anything so thoughtful, especially for her. Hermione couldn’t believe that at the beginning of the term she assumed Ron would always be with Beatrix.

It makes sense. They’ve obviously known each other their whole lives, and if she was a friend of the Weasley family, he was always comfortable around her. Maybe too comfortable…no, don’t think too much into it, Hermione. He fancies you. Otherwise why would he kiss you?

“But,” she murmured to herself, “what if it was a one time thing?”

You think too much! Just stop for once!

“Right.”

She walked down to the still common room, and passed the Fat Lady’s portrait. After a few charming grins from her and a couple puzzled expressions from other students, Hermione strolled down to the Great Hall for breakfast. Suddenly, her mood changed entirely as she remembered one thing.

Viktor…oh what am I going to do about his gift? If I take Ron would get jealous, but if I don’t, Viktor would be heartbroken.

“Herm-own-ninny!” a voice called out below her.

Bloody—

“Herm-own-ninny, vot happened yesterday?” Krum asked as she hovered with one foot over the last stair as if debating whether to take the final plunge.

“I—got really sick. Sorry. Terrible—twenty-four hour—illness that’s going around,” she responded rather quickly.

“Oh, glad to see you are better.” She sent him a slender smile as he took her hand in his. “Are you going to have breakfast? I vos hoping if you vood care to take a stroll around the grounds.”

The two walked to the Great Hall doors, and Hermione scanned the room for Ron, responding, “Actually Viktor, I—”

A sudden spark of jealousy rapidly flooded her entire body as she saw who sat next to Ron with her arms around his waist.

BEATRIX!

The moment she screamed in her head, Ron looked over to see Hermione standing scarlet faced, and filled with much disappointment. Beatrix glanced over at her too, and cheerfully chimed, “Oh, Hermione! It’s so good to see you! How was your holiday?”

WHAT? You don’t grope the one you know who fancies me, and ask me how my holiday is!

The smile upon Beatrix’s face faded, and Hermione eyed her and Ron continually, feeling a mass of tears forming and ready to burst out. Hermione took one last look at Ron, who evidently seemed gloomy, and stormed out of the Great Hall.

“Herm-own-ninny?” Krum asked, looking back at her. “Vot is the matter?”

“Those two,” Ginny said sourly as Krum turned back around to see her finger pointed at Ron and Beatrix.

Ron sat staring out the doors, and abruptly stood up, leaving the room as well, shouting, “Hermione!”

***


Lying on the crimson couch of the Gryffindor common room, Hermione silently wept in the shadowed corner. Deep confusion consumed Hermione’s mind as to what she should do.

I can’t believe she would actually continue to do this even after she most likely knows about Ron kissing me.

She heard the portrait swing open, and a familiar voice call her name.

“Hermione?” Ron called. She quickly wiped her eyes, and stood to go up to her dormitory. Ron realised it was her, and shouted, “Hermione, stop!”

Without looking back, she stopped in her tracks with the door in her grasp, and stared down at the shadowed corner of the staircase as she continued to wipe her eyes.

“What do you—hic—want?” she mumbled.

“I…was just wondering if you were okay.”

You’ve got to be kidding me!

“Yeah, Ron, I’m perfectly—hic—fine. Don’t worry about me. I CRY—hic—LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME!”

She quickly looked back at Ron to see him cowering, and slammed the door behind her.

Ron slowly made his way to the girls’ dormitories door while gazing at the floor, and muttered, “You can’t blame Beatrix for the way she is.”

“Oh I can’t?” she asked bitterly with her back against the door. “Why not? It’s her choice to be like that! Her—clingy self! Tell me one good reason why I shouldn’t!”

He stood speechless for a moment, and then responded, “Because that’s her. She can’t help being herself any more than you can help being you.”

“Thanks, Ron. I feel a whole lot better now.”

She began climbing the staircase when she heard Ron shout, “WHY CAN’T YOU JUST ACCEPT HER FOR WHAT SHE IS? YOU KEEP HIDING BEHIND THIS BLOODY DOOR, AND NOT EXPLAINING YOUSELF!” Hermione ran back down the steps, and swung open the door. She found Ron pulling back from the door with a startled expression. Ron calmly repeated, “Why can’t you accept her?”

Hermione lost herself in Ron’s eyes as she gazed morosely up at him, and answered, “How do you expect me to accept her when you can’t even accept Viktor?”

He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it as he watched a tear trickle down her cheek. She shook her head, and slowly closed the door. She didn’t want to see Ron anymore, but to her dismay she knew she would.

As she lied under the covers of her bed, she heard the door creak open and close.

It better not be Beatrix.

“It is,” she heard Beatrix say.

“Can’t you go away?” she asked, gritting her teeth.

“No.”

“Then I’ll go!” Hermione shouted, throwing the sheets off her.

“I don’t think so, because you can’t see through your…horribly-styled bushy hair of yours! Ron likes you! Why can’t you see that?”

“If he cares about me as much as you say, then he wouldn’t allow you to hang all over him!”

Beatrix took in a deep breath, and sighed, “I’m sorry, all right? I have a bit of a confession to make.” Hermione moved away from Beatrix, interested in what she was about to say. “I may have some…feelings for him.”

“Oh, do you think?”

“What do you expect, Hermione? We’ve known each other our entire lives. Two people like that are supposed to be together.” She broke off, and turned to her bed. “But then I hear what he says about you, and I see you two together and I know you two are meant for each other.”

“So why don’t you shove off?”

Beatrix took a deep breath and answered, “I guess I could try…for both your sakes. I know how much you both care for each other.” Hermione stood staring blankly at her. “Ron’s waiting for you in the common room.”

Hermione wiped her eyes on her sleeves on last time, and hesitantly proceeded down to the girls’ dormitory stairs.

Please let things work out. Please.

Hermione opened the door to the common room, and there sat Ron on the edge of the scarlet couch.

“Hermione, I’m really sorry, okay?” he cried as he stood up.

She took a deep breath, and sighed, “I guess I could’ve…been a little more understanding about you and Beatrix’s relationship. You two have known each other for quite some time, but you’ve got to understand how I feel when I see her stuck to you like that.”

“I think I do understand.”

Hermione remembered about Krum and responded, “Right. Speaking of Krum, I suppose I better bid farewell to him. You don’t mind if I keep those summer Quidditch tickets, do you?”

“Are you kidding? He’s playing against the Chudley Cannons!”

A smile grew across her face as she wrapped her arms around him for a hug. Beatrix walked through the girls’ dormitory door, and joked, “Well, if you’d both excuse me, there’s a gorgeous Seeker in the Great Hall I’m dying to meet.”

Hermione sniggered, and the three made their way down to the Great Hall entrance. Krum stood with Harry and Ginny, deep in conversation, when Ron, Hermione, and Beatrix walked up.

“Herm-own-ninny,” Krum began, “before I haff to go, I vant to giff this back to you.”

He placed a tiny, navy blue velvet box in her hands and smiled.

“Thanks,” she replied, and smiled gratefully at him.

“I must go now.”

“I’ll walk with you!” Beatrix quickly spoke, and hooked her arm around his. “Be back later,” she grinned back at them as they walked off.

Hermione smiled, and turned to Ron who had gone a little red in the face as he stared off in the direction Beatrix and Krum left.

“Oh, don’t tell me you’re still jealous?” she joked, and brought his attention to the light kiss she gave him on his cheek.

“Me? ‘Course not,” he replied, looking over at her at Harry and Ginny. Both of them smiled back, and Harry added,

“And all is right in the world of Hermione and Ron once again.” Hermione gave him a jokingly cross look as Ginny elbowed him in the ribs. “Ow,” he sniggered, “what’d I say?”

The four made their way back to Gryffindor Tower, unaware of the next adventures—sentimental or horrific—that awaited them.



A/N: A great special thanks to my beta Daniela for helping with my ending!