Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Soaked in the Sea of Envy by Ron Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 3 Changing For Good



Morning rose and Mrs. Weasley, Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Harry, and Beatrix all went to Diagon Alley by Floo Powder. Hermione and Ginny giggled as they saw Beatrix exit the grate with her face covered in soot.

“Bea, you’re supposed to keep your mouth closed while travelling by Floo Powder,” Ron laughed.

“I’ll remember that for next time,” Beatrix coughed.

After Hermione had purchased her books, she went and bought herself some hair tonic she had once used in her fourth year. If she couldn’t get Ron’s attention by being smart, she’ll just have to change her outer appearance instead.

What if this doesn’t work either? What if Ron won’t appreciate anything about me? Should I change everything about me to try and have the bloke I’ve always wanted?

“Yep,” she said to herself and walked back to Flourish & Blotts.

Everyone met up to visit Fred and George’s joke shop. Hermione entered through the doors in awe. The room’s bright, bold colours of green, yellow, red, and blue contrasted the shimmering, white words all along the walls: WELCOME TO WEASLEY’S WIZARDING WHEEZES! YOU TOUCH, YOU BUY. REMEMBER WE’RE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACCIDENTS BECAUSE WE WARNED YOU. Hermione smirked as she read this and followed Harry and Ron to the counter. Ropes (that enchanted dolls used to swing down), confetti, and silly string hung and spouted from the ceiling that seemed enchanted to be as black as night. Hermione walked by two children on a cemented area with red, blue, and yellow buttons on the floor, and when a child stepped on the wrong one sewage water squirted down on them from the black ceiling, but were instantly dry again as they continued to play. Along one wall was a large clown face with missing teeth. Hermione saw children and adults throwing bean bags at the teeth and when one hit directly on a tooth Hermione heard the clown say, "Is that all you got, bucktooth? Do you want to take this outside, baldy-locks? Come on! You think this wall can hold me?"

Ron whispered, "Try avoiding him. All he likes to do is insult people."

"Hey where do you think you're going, ketchup-head! Hey who's your blond friend? Hold on there missy," it said as Hermione walked by.

"What?" she asked.

"I don't know if you knew this, but you've got a dead animal on your head and by the looks of it, it's been there for awhile."

Hermione's smile dropped and was about to curse at it as Ron grabbed hold of her arm, and said, "Why don't you make yourself useful and shut up! Just ignore him. He's just cheesed off because he has no friends!"

Hermione gave Ron a weak smile.

"Oh, Carrot-top is so strong. Carrot-top is so brave. Save me from this wall clown, Carrot-top! Save me," it said, mocking Hermione.

Hermione yelled, "Shut up!" grabbing a handful of bean bags, chucking them at the clown, and leaving.

"Mind him," Ron consoled. "It's his job. You all right?"

"Yeah, actually I'm glad he talked to me."

Ron was a little confused, but continued showing them the way towards the counter.

There weren't many aisles, but the height of them made up for it. Hermione strained her neck to see the very top of the shelves as they made their way to the back. When they reached the marble counter, no one seemed to be there. They noticed a bell and a note next to it that said: DO NOT RING UNLESS DESPERATE FOR SERVICE. Ron shrugged his shoulders and pushed down on the bell. Suddenly a wave of electricity spread throughout Ron’s body and his hair stood up on end (not that it already was) and he gave out a loud scream, “OW!”

Crack!

“You rang, brother,” Fred asked as he apparated.

“Just...looking for you.”

“How sweet. Oy! George our loving younger brother is here. So what will you be purchasing today?” Fred asked impishly and gleaming his eyes at the lot.

“Nothing, just showing them around.”

Crack!

“Now you can’t come in here, being flesh an’ blood an’ all, and not purchase something,” George buttered up, putting his arms around Harry and Ron’s shoulders.

“Actually, I’d like to purchase something, George,” Beatrix interrupted.

“Well follow me and we’ll talk, love,” George charmed, pulling Beatrix’s arm to follow him.

“I wonder what she’s getting,” Ron wondered.

“No idea,” Ginny and Hermione both said, looking at each other.

They reached King’s Cross Station ten minutes to eleven, and one by one they went through the gate on to platform nine and three quarters. Mrs. Weasley gave each one a kiss on the head and bid farewell. As the train pulled away Mrs. Weasley shouted, “Stay out of trouble, you lot! Ron, don’t forget to feed Pig”Ginny don’t forget you’re staying at Hogwarts this Christmas”Goodbye Harry dear! Take care”Beatrix don’t forget to take your you-know-what”Goodbye Hermione!”

“Wow Ron, you’re mum sure can yell,” Beatrix said, amazed.

“Yeah, all those times she yelled at us were just practice,” Ron huffed.

The train ride was rather slow and Hermione had been staring out the window watching the scenery leave behind her while Harry tested out his products he purchased from Fred and George’s shop.

Has the train ride always been this long? I wonder how much longer we’ll have to wait. If Ron even thinks of talking to me I’ll personally kick his”

“Hermione, we’ve got the Prefect meeting. Lets go,” said Ron, interrupting her thoughts.

“Oh right.”

***

“...Now this year we have a large number of newcomers so make sure you keep a steady eye on all of them when you show them around the school. I hear they’re a bit rowdy. Now you’re free to go. Oh and remember think of a unique password this year. We don’t want any mistakes like the last,” said the Head Boy, eyeing Draco Malfoy. Apparently last year he had one of the passwords to be: Malfoy rules and a Ravenclaw student found out and damage was resulted from a row between Ravenclaw and Slytherin before a Quidditch match. “Okay, you’re free to go.”

Everyone piled out of the main compartment and walked back to their compartment.

“So what should the new password be this year?” Ron asked Hermione.

Ronisa stupidgita

How about Mettamaloma? he added.

“Sounds good to me,” Hermione sighed, staring out the train’s corridor window.

“Okay, spill. What’s the matter?”

“It’s nothing.”

“Is it about your dad?”

“No.”

“About what you forgot back home?”

“No.”

“About...me?”