Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Soaked in the Sea of Envy by Ron Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 4 Weeping by the Whomping Willow



"What? Aren't we the conceited one," Hermione snapped.

"Just trying it," Ron laughed. "So what's really bothering you?"

Hermione opened the door to their compartment and said, "Ron, if you care, you'll drop it. Okay?"

"In that case, I don't care."

She knew Ron wasn't serious, but at the sound of that she could feel tears forming.

"Just drop it, Ron."

Hermione sat down, held on to Crookshanks, and stared out the window trying to forget about everything. The mountains seemed endless and the sounds of Harry, Ginny, and Beatrix's “woahs” and “bloody hells” from nearly getting their heads torn off by one of Fred and George's pranks were drained out by the wheels of the train scraping against the tracks. No one seems to care…everyone was enjoying themselves that moment except Hermione…and someone sitting across from her with flaming ginger-red hair seemed to be watching her every move as she drifted off to sleep…

"It's the biggest Quidditch match of the season and Ron has to play in it. He'll get hurt! Oh why does it have to be the worst weather conditions now?"

The weather was worse than one could imagine. The clouds threw against each other in anger producing thunder and lightning. The rain came in sideways”even while just standing”so I knew it would've been hard for Harry and Ron on a broomstick.

"RON, BE CAREFUL!" I shouted.

Ron hadn't heard though. The storm covered every sound made. It seemed as if the fans were mute, but they still kept on cheering to show their spirit.

"Go Ron! Go Harry!"

"Mind you, I'll cheer for Ron," Beatrix informed as she popped in out of thin air.

"What?"

"Back off of Ron."

"What is your problem? I'm not going to stop cheering for him because you say so."

The rain started coming in faster. Beatrix looked up at the clouds as they started to grow thicker. I could hardly see in front of my nose.

"Well that's all about to change, because I know how you feel. I know all your secrets. So watch what you think…or I'll know…"


"SHOVE OFF YOU BLOODY GIT!"

"Hermione, what's wrong?" Harry asked. Hermione woke up, realising she had her head lying on Harry's shoulder and just said that out loud. She looked over at Beatrix who, too, had fallen asleep and answered,

"Nothing, just a bad dream."

An hour passed, and the train arrived at Hogsmeade Train Station. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all waved to Hagrid as they compiled into the carriages pulled by Threstles. The night was calm and crisp as they made their way up to the castle. Hermione looked out over the lake to see the first years making their way across. The Squid lifted one tentacle out of the water and gave them a wave.

As they reached the doors, Hermione wasted no time walking to the Great Hall and sat down at the Gryffindor table as the rest stood around talking about their summer holiday. She laid her head in her hands and watched the other students make their way to their seats. Harry walked up and sat down next to her sulky self.

"Hermione, you've got to see what Dean got over the summer! He got””

"Harry,” Hermione began, “as much as I would love to see it, I'm not in a sociable mood right now."

Eyeing Hermione, Harry responded, "I don't know what’s wrong right now and I know you won't want to explain, so I'm just going to say this. You'll get through it."

He then turned away and began to converse with Seamus, who presumably went to Africa for the summer, because he was showing off this large mosquito-looking bite on his arm.

"It swelled up to the size of a-a-I don’t know, but it was really big! Mum had to look up how to reduce the swelling and we ended using this long Muggle prescribed way”"

"WHAT MUGGLES AREN’T PERFECT ENOUGH FOR YOU? NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE WAY A MUGGLE HANDLES THINGS?" Hermione shouted, realising she was standing on her feet and quickly sat back down.

"Hermione, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. I was about to say my dad said this way is the best. He's a muggle."

Hermione just stared at the table with this shocking expression on her face and looked around as if she lost something. Just afterwards, Ron and Beatrix walked up and sat across the table from Hermione and Harry.

"Just saw the first years walking up," Ron informed.

That's nice.

"They look like a wild lot."

Don't care.

"Hermione did you hear me?"

"Yes, Ron. I heard you."

Their conversation was interrupted by the Great Hall doors opening and Professor McGonagall walking in with the first years following close behind. Most of them stared up at the bewitched ceiling that showed the starry night sky. As they made their way to the front, the first years huddled around the Sorting Hat as it began its song:
Turn the clock back ten centuries
When I sat and never spoke.
A special plan was being brewed
By four homely wizard folk.
They said, 'Lets build a school
To teach the gifted ones.'
'They'll learn to defend themselves
And transfigure once they're done.'
So once this place had been built,
What muggles could never see.
Conflict stirred among the four,
'What kind of children should they be?'
'The purest,' said young Slytherin,
'The wisest,' said true Ravenclaw.
'The brave,' suggested Gryffindor,
While Hufflepuff stood in awe.
She said, 'Why choose them ourselves
When someone else could easily?'
Which is why I'm here in front of you,
To inform you where you ought to be.
Time went by as the school aged
And harmony turned to shreds.
'Goodbye', 'Farewell', 'So long', and 'Cheers'
Are the last things they said.
For once was a peaceful lot
Had now been no more.
Because putting aside their differences
Was too much of a chore.
So come and place me on your head,
No need to run in fear.
For once I look inside your mind
Your true colours will appear.
I leave you with a simple note
To carry with you as you grow.
Take a look at the ones around you,
Don't ever let them go.
For if you do turn friend to foe
And never speak again.
You'll continue the tradition
By the founders way back when.



Hermione was somewhat interested. But while staring towards the Sorting Hat, she thought about how she just wanted to get up to the dormitories and go to sleep. Before she knew it, the Sorting Hat finished its song and began sorting the newcomers. Just as before, she leaned her head against her hand while everyone clapped. Once everyone had been sorted, Professor Dumbledore stood up and gave his usual speech.

"I'd like to acknowledge the enlightening song of the Sorting Hat and I advise you take in to consider of its wise words." Hearing this, Hermione wished she had listened. "Also, Mr. Filch wished me to remind you that no Stink Bombs or any recent jokes you may have purchased over the holiday shall be used in the corridors or between classes. For a full list of objects, they are posted on his office door. I'd also like to welcome our newest Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Cullum."

"Daddy?" Beatrix asked, perplexed.

A short, yet intimidating looking bloke with light mousy brown hair and glasses that constantly drooped down his pointy nose stood up from the front table, smiled and sat back down. Hermione glanced over at Beatrix, who seemed to be discouraged.

Well maybe having him here will keep her in line.

"Furthermore," Professor Dumbledore continued. "I hear tonight's feast is rather excellent. So let the feast begin!"

The feast was rather excellent indeed. Though Hermione was glum, she didn't let it spoil her appetite. As the night drew to an end, Ron leaned over and asked Hermione, "Do you think you could handle the first year lot by yourself so I can show Beatrix around?"

Hermione looked at Ron with a most surprising expression but answered, "Yeah, sure."

"Thanks. I owe you."

Everyone got up and started walking off to their common rooms.

"Mind you handling the first years," Hermione mocked Ron, not realising who she was bound to walk in to.

"Watch where you're walking, Granger!" Draco Malfoy shouted. "Slytherin first years follow me and just shove your way past this arrogant Muggleborn."

As a few Slytherins pushed their way past Hermione giving her vile glares as she shuffled to find the new Gryffindors.

"Gryffindor first years follow me please!" she shouted. As small lot formed around Hermione, she made her way to the Grand Staircase. She showed the first years where each classroom was located and they made their way up to Gryffindor Tower. On the third floor, Hermione noticed Ron pointing Beatrix around, immediately ignored them, and took the first years to the Fat Lady's Portrait.

"Password?"

"Mettamaloma."

The portrait swung open and Hermione hurried in and said faster then the first years could hear, "Wakupstrcasetolefizboigirlzeft."

"What?"

"Walk up the staircase, boys’ dorms are to your right, the girls’ on the left. Your things are already up there."

She watched the first years make their way up the stairs as she sat down on a chair in the shadows and opened a book to read.

The nerve of her parading in and taking over as if she owns Ron. Two can play at this game. She's probably lying about being as smart as me. Ron doesn't deserve a liar like her. He deserves someone who cares about him and won't ever let him go...like me. She's nothing but a big...prat...wannabee...smart.

"Well I'm happy to be here with you, Ron," Beatrix said as she walked in with Ron at her side. Hermione turned around quickly so she wouldn't be noticed in the shadows.

"This is the Gryffindor common room. Here, people like to hang out, play chess, eat food, work on homework. Whatever suits you, really.”

"I'm not too fond of homework," Beatrix sniggered, "but I would enjoy sitting in front of the fire with you."

"It's kind of late, and we have to be up early to get our schedules to see which classes we were accepted in for the N.E.W.T.s."

"Oh, all right. Goodnight, Ron," Beatrix said, leaning in and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

Hermione turned around and faced the table until she heard them walk upstairs to the dorms. She grabbed her book and rushed upstairs, pretending to not see Beatrix if she was still awake. She put on her pyjamas, crawled into bed, and stared at the ceiling.

What is this going to be like with Ron having someone hanging all over him? Will this change our relationship? I wonder what Harry thinks about this. He didn't seem too thrilled when Ron broke the news to us.

The top of her four-poster bed became a blur and soon enough Hermione found herself fast asleep...

The wind blew from the south, warming my skin. I sat in the grass alone, thinking, waiting for Ron. The Whomping Willow swung at the birds that flew by too close and dropped its leaves one by one towards me. Shortly after, I heard footsteps walking up behind me.

"Ron?" I asked turning around.

Surely enough it was him! I smiled, but that soon faded when I just saw him standing there.

"Ron? What's wrong?"

He didn't say anything. Someone else then came into the picture behind Ron.

"Beatrix? What are you doing here?" I asked rather annoyed.

"Ron doesn't have time to play games with you. He needs to branch away from the Hermione Tree and start worrying about things more important."

"Which is what?" I asked again, standing up.

"Me."

"Likely..." Beatrix gave me a cross look and grabbed hold of Ron's arm. The two started to fade away. "Where are you taking him?"

She didn't answer. They were gone. I was completely alone. I looked around to see if anyone was around, but no one was. I sat down in the grass, wrapping my arms around my legs. The sun was soon covered by thick, fluffy, grey clouds.

"He's gone...and he's not coming back."

Tears came pouring down from my eyes. It got dark quicker than usual. Everything soon went black...


Hermione woke startled with tears streaming down her face. She sat up in her bed, looked around, and found Beatrix, Lavender, and Parvati asleep.

"Why does she popping into my dreams when I think about Ron?"