Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Soaked in the Sea of Envy by Ron Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 6 Cast Aside



Harry and Hermione walked into Charm's class and sat down as Professor Flitwick began to speak. "Now as all of you have noticed, you have been accepted into Charms for your N.E.W.T. exams at the end of the school year. You also may have noticed there aren't many students here. That is because each class, in your 6th year, is broken into two classes levels: advanced and moderate. Your class is, indeed, the advanced class. This term you will be reviewing all the incantations from your first through fifth year, and next term will be advanced charms."

Hermione was interested in what Professor Flitwick had to say, but her mind kept wandering outside of class.

I wonder if Ron likes Italian. I've never seen him eat any. I should ask him. Why is everyone looking at me?

"Miss Granger?" Professor Flitwick asked. "Would you be so kind to grab a charm bracelet and pass the rest along?"

Hermione sat up surprised and looked inside the box in front of her. Inside was a bunch of silver-chained bracelets.

Hermione grabbed one and passed the box to Harry.

Professor Flitwick continued, "Now each week we will be reviewing a few charms you have learned the passed five years. It is to be a surprise which charm I'll test you on, so practice, practice, practice! If you succeed you will receive a charm for your bracelet representing the charm you were tested on. You are given the rest of the class time to gather the information you need. Do not dawdle!"

Everyone took out a quill, parchment, and began copying down specific information they needed from the board. Hermione leaned over her parchment with her quill and studiously wrote the charms and incantations. As she scribbled down notes, Harry often peered over towards her. Hermione noticed one time and asked, "What?"

"Nothing," he answered and went back to writing until the end of class.

When class was over, Harry and Hermione met Ron and Beatrix in the Great Hall.

"She's off her rocker without you even being there!" Ron exclaimed at Harry as the two walked up.

"What's she saying now?" Harry asked.

"She says, 'I envisioned you all in my class months before you had even taken your O.W.L.s. I don't need results to tell me whether you're suitable or not'. Right, she even mentioned her disappointment to not seeing you in her vision because of the fact 'she knew you'd be dead'."

"I must've missed the message on that one."

"Yes, she's an odd one. She kept looking at me as if she didn't like me. I mean, everyone likes me," Beatrix gloated.

Yeah right.

Beatrix looked over at Hermione and back at Harry. "So how was your class?"

"We're reviewing what we already know. We're given a charm bracelet and we get a charm when we get conjure a spell correctly."

"That sounds like fun. I can't wait for that class. When do we have it, Ron?"

"Not until Friday," Ron answered.

"Drat. Well I still have a great lesson to go to with Hermione next."

"What's that?"

"Muggle Studies. It's absolutely fascinating on the way a Muggle interprets things." Hermione stared at Beatrix with a fixed expression. "Do you not, Hermione?"

"Well”Beatrix”" Hermione began with a slight annoyed tone as she cupped her hands, but Ron broke in,

"Hermione's a muggleborn, Beatrix."

"Oh well that explains it," Beatrix said.

Explains what exactly?

Hermione clenched a piece of parchment as her mind filled with anger. Harry, noticing, said, "Maybe we should be getting to our next class. Ron and I have ten minutes to make it to the greenhouses for Herbology. We'll meet you in the common room after class." Hermione still sat, red in the face, trying not to break her quill. "See you later, Hermione. Cheers, Beatrix."

"Bye, Harry," Beatrix replied. "See you after class, Ron."

What does she mean by, ‘Well that explains it.’ Does she think I'm bossy or an over achiever? Well speak for herself. She's taking just as many classes as I am. Wait. Does she think because I'm muggleborn I don't understand the concept of magic and I need to show them I won't get left behind? I bet that's it. Oh, she has a lot of nerve. And it's not like she isn't bossy! She has Ron wrapped around her finger! She says dance, he'll probably bloody dance! Oh no! I'm late!

Hermione looked around, seeing the Great Hall empty. She grabbed her books and ran to her next class. She opened the doors to find the class looking at her.

"Sorry," she said innocently as she closed the door behind her.

"It's quite alright, Miss Granger. Please take your seat," said the professor and continued scribbling marks on a piece of paper.

Hermione sat down, looking around for Beatrix. Once she spotted her, Beatrix, too, was looking at Hermione.

Thanks for telling me it was time to go to our next class, Beatrix! Quit looking at me!

Beatrix looked towards the teacher as he continued speaking. "Now I'm very pleased to have most of you back in my class, but being accepted in here means you have much more work to get done before your N.E.W.T.s. We'll first be going over muggle transportation, necessities, and learning skills. Then next term we will be going on location and studying real muggles in action. Now doesn't that sound exciting?"

More like degrading.

"To start off the school year, I would like a nine inch roll of parchment on your perception on muggle necessities due next Thursday. Now, as a review and help with your assignment, I'll ask some random questions about muggles. Everyone have a quill and parchment ready? Okay. Lets begin!"

Hermione smiled.

Even if she has a problem with me being a muggle, she won't know more about being a muggle than me.

"First question, what three devices do muggles use to communicate with each other?"

Hermione shot her hand up and looked around to see no one else's hand raised.

Please, could this be any easier.

"Yes, Miss Cullum."

Beatrix smiled, putting her hand down. She answered, "Three communicating devices are the telephone, the computer, and their post in which a muggle delivers letters, unlike wizards who use owls. Also, before the telephone had been invented, they had a machine called the Telegraph where one would use Morse code to communicate."

What?

"Excellent! Ten points to Gryffindor! Now, next question: give me two differences between muggles and wizards."

Hermione instantly raised her hand again”“Miss Cullum."”but slowly lowered her hand, staring at Beatrix.

"As you know, there are several differences, but the two main ones are wizards use magic with wands while muggles use their hands, intellect, and time to get something done. The other thing is transportation which I won't spoil, because I'm sure you'd like to explain that to the class," she informed, gleaming towards the teacher.

"Thank you, Miss Cullum. Ten points to Gryffindor." Beatrix smiled brightly, looking around at the class. "As a treat, you may have the rest of the class time to work on your assignment."

Everyone began writing, but Hermione hovered over her parchment and glared at Beatrix.

How did she know that? How is it she said exactly the same thing I was going to say? There's something odd about her. I wonder if Ron knows anything.

Before Hermione had time to write anything down, class was over. She closed her books and tried leaving before Beatrix could catch up with her.

Come on lets move people!

"Hermione, wait up!"

MOVE YOUR BLOODY”

"Hermione, what's the rush? Great lesson, don't you think?"

"I imagine I could have enjoyed it more,” Hermione answered grimly.

"Well that's unfortunate. Harry said to meet him and Ron in the common room, right?"

"Yes, but I””

Before Hermione could finish some Hufflepuff students from Muggles Studies, Lavender, and Parvati surrounded her and Beatrix.

"Beatrix, how did you know those answers?"

"Are you muggleborn?"

"Yeah, only Granger knows that much about muggles, because she's a muggleborn."

They started enclosing around Beatrix and pushed Hermione out of the circle. She looked at everyone around Beatrix.

What is so great about her? I answer questions all the time! She only answered two!

"So how'd you know all those answers?" a Hufflepuff asked.

"My old school was just well educated," Beatrix answered.

"Where'd you used to go?"

"Ah…the Dragonarches Academy in Germany."

"That's brilliant! Germany's countryside is positively wonderful! I went during the summer holiday with my family."

"Yes, it's beautiful. I miss it so much."

Then why don't you so go back. Far…far…away…

"I'd love to chat, but there's someplace I have to be. We can talk some more later," Beatrix said and walked over by Hermione. "Ready?"

"Actually," Hermione began, but changed her mind about going to the library for once. "Yes."

They walked through the courtyard as the sun beamed brightly. Hermione lingered a little behind Beatrix and gloomily gazed at the back of her head.

Why does she get the warm welcoming, when everyone thought I was weird?

The sun seemed to shine everywhere except the smallest shadow formed behind Beatrix that Hermione continued walking in as they made their way to the common room.