Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Darkest Year Yet by School owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 1-
Alone
Tick- tock. Tick- tock. Harry Potter laid on his bed all alone listening to the steady rhythm of his clock. It read 1:36 A.M. The Dursleys were asleep and Hedwig was on her perch with her yellow round eyes closed and her head cocked to one side. There was an empty space inside of him that he could not fill.

"Sirius," He moaned, "why did you have to leave me?"

A tear fell from his emerald eyes and slithered down his cheek.

A snore came from his uncle's room. He knew he should sleep, but he couldn't. He couldn't sleep knowing that he was alone, all alone in a mean cruel word. Where people died for love and for hate. “I can’t sit here and wait for the morning. I have to do something. ” Harry muttered.

His hand searched for his wand. “Lumos.” He whispered.

Harry reached for his wand. “That’s better. Nox.”

His hand was reaching for his glasses and he shoved them on. He then opened his trunk. It moaned as it was forced open. Harry pulled out an old leather album. He opened it and saw the faces of his happy parents looking at him and waving. He turned the page and saw his friends. He wished that he could be at Hogwarts right now, instead of being alone. He remember all the things that the trio had done. Somethings had good and other had been bad, very bad. Harry envisioned Ron and how funny his jokes were and Hermione saying something complex or fussing over homework. He turned the page once more and saw his parent’s wedding- with the best man- Sirius Black. Harry thought of his godfather and smiled. His eyes drooped and closed. And he thought no more.

He awoke with Petunia's screeching voice "Harry Potter! Wake up! NOW!"

He heard Vernon’s voice mutter something and then Petunia said, "That is if you are ready... dear."

Harry got up and got dressed. He wondered what was up with his Aunt and Uncle. He soon came down the stairs. "Harry, why don't you fix yourself a good, hearty breakfast?"

"Okay." Harry said raising his eyebrows.

Then, he remembered that today was the day he would send a letter to Order. "Harry, have we been nice to you?" Vernon asked.

"Well, yeah." Harry said thinking of the past days.

"Good. Now send those freakss... I mean people- a letter saying that you are fine and they don't need to come." Vernon said.

Harry nodded and went into his room. He felt that something was missing, but he couldn't place his finger on it. "Dudley a.k.a Big D." He muttered.

Oh, who cares where Dudley is. He's probably at the candy store getting fatter. If it's possible, Harry thought. He picked up his quill and dipped it in ink.

Dear everyone,

I am fine. The Dursleys are leaving me alone. I kind of like it. They don't say anything mean because they think you'll come and turn them into toads. Like I said, I'm fine. I hope you guys are too.

Harry

P.S- Tell Ron and Hermione hi for me. Ron- Hope you are well. Hermione- I did my homework, don’t worry. See you guys soon I hope.

That ought to do, He thought. Then again maybe I should put that I don't like being here no matter what the Dursleys do. Because I'll be all alone.

Harry sat in his chair looking at his aunt’s prize garden seeing as there wasn’t anything to do when he saw a snowy white owl soar towards him. “Hedwig!” He exclaimed.

He hurriedly opened his window to let the bird in. The bird had a letter attached to its skinny scaly leg. It read-


Dear Harry,

It’s great that you are all right. I am fine and so is everyone else. As you know the order is working hard. We were wondering if you would like to stay with us until the term begins. Ron and Hermione will be at number 12 too. If you would like to stay, then we will do it before your birthday. Send Hedwig back as soon as possible.

Remus

P.S- Also Molly, Arthur, Ron, Fred, George, Hermione, Professor Snape, Professor Dumbledore and all the others say hello. Maybe not Professor Snape, but I am sure he would if he wasn’t the slimy git he is. Don’t tell him I said that though.


Harry was shocked to see the letter, but was very happy. He even chuckled at the part about Snape. He was leaving Privet Drive. He felt like dancing and singing. But he didn’t, instead he rushed to find his quill and inkbottle. He pulled out a spare piece of parchment, dipped his fine white quill into the black ink and wrote-

Dear Professor Lupin,

I would very much like to stay with the Order. I don’t like it here one bit. As you said I am sending Hedwig right now. May she fly fast and hard. I

BANG! It sounded as if someone used floo powder incorrectly. Harry dropped his quill and flung open his door and made his way down stairs. His aunt and uncle stood around the fireplace along with a tall familiar person wiping off some dust and filth that he got from traveling by floo powder. “Professor Lupin!” Harry exclaimed.

“Hello Harry.” Lupin said, “You need not call me ‘professor’ if you wish seeing that you are not in school and I am not the teacher.”

“Of course ‘Professor’.” Harry said with a grin.

“HARRY POTTER! HOW DARE YOU! DON'T EVER, EVER HAVE THESE… THESE MONSTERS POP UP AGAIN!!” Uncle Vernon bellowed. “ARE WE NOT NICE ENOUGH TO YOU?”

“Sir, if it be any help, Harry did not ask for me to come. I came myself. I wondered if you would like Harry off your hands a little early.” Remus said calmly.

The Dursleys were thinking about it. Maybe I won’t be alone, Harry thought.




A/N- This is my first story. Do you like it? Please review and you might find the next chapter!! I think that maybe about 2 or 3 reviews would be a good start.