Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Darkest Year Yet by School owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 10
Halloween

Days passed swiftly. Nothing had changed. It would soon be Halloween. Dumbledore had ordered for more Aurors to surround the school. Nicky was not hanging around the trio as she used too, but she was still keeping a close eye on them.

Lupin and Harry walked into the forests together talking. It was like in his third year. Not too many worries. Just a few things were on Harry’s mind at the time. Now, there was so much to talk about. “Professor, do you think that Voldemort will make a move on Halloween?” Harry asked.

“I’m not sure. Voldemort will have spies around the castle. I know everyone around the castle and I don’t think that any of them are spies.” Lupin said.

“I am very afraid.” Harry said looking at Lupin.

“Of course you are. I would think that you were crazy if you weren’t afraid, James.” Lupin said.

Lupin looked bewildered for a minute. “Harry. I meant Harry. Sometimes, I feel that you are James.”

Harry looked at him. “I’m not. I can’t be like him.” Harry said. “I can’t defend anyone against Voldemort. My dad saved my life. I couldn’t save…”

Lupin looked at him and shook him, “Don’t you talk like that Harry. Don’t you talk like that. You saved everyone’s life the day you were born. Without you Harry, others would have died.”

“No. Cedric wouldn’t have died, Sirius, My mum and my dad. They all wouldn’t have died.” Harry said.

“Yes, they would have. Voldemort would have gotten them anyway.” Lupin said.

Harry sat on a fallen log. “I know. I just feel... If I hadn’t let Cedric take that cup with me. If I hadn’t been born. If I hadn’t gone to the Department of Mysteries. If I hadn’t done a lot of things, then maybe, things would be different.” Harry said.
Lupin sat next to him. “Do you remember when you conjured that Patronus Charm for the first time?”

“Yes. I remember.” Harry said.

“I was quite proud of you. I knew then that you were truly your father’s son.” Lupin said.

Harry wasn’t sure what to say, so he said, “We better go to the castle. I don’t want to get into trouble.”

Lupin laughed, “I thought you were your father’s son. James never worried about getting in trouble.”

“Well, he wasn’t the most wanted person in the dark world.” Harry said.

“True.” Lupin said, “Let’s go.”

They walked together. They didn’t talk much. Hermione came running to them, “What is it, Hermione?” Lupin asked alarmed.

“Nothing. I just wanted to see that you two were okay.” Hermione said.

Ron joined them. “I don’t want to tell him with Harry here…” Ron said.

“Come on Ron. He should know.” Hermione said.

“Know what?” Harry asked.

They ignored him. “You tell him then.” Ron said.

“Tell me what?” Harry asked.

“What is it you two?” Lupin asked.

“Voldemort was seen in a town near here. He killed two wizards…for no good reason!” Hermione said.

“That’s what he does.” Harry said.

“Yeah well, Dumbledore wants to see Lupin and wants us to go into the tower and stay there.” Ron said.

“Go inside.” Lupin said shortly.

The trio listened and went inside. Lupin went to Dumbledore. While everything was getting sorted out, Ron and Hermione talked to Harry in a corner. “Are you afraid?” Ron asked.

“Ron! We’ll send Voldemort after you and see how you feel! You don’t have to answer, Harry if you don’t want to.” Hermione said.

“No, it’s okay. Yeah, I am afraid.” Harry said.

“Sorry mate. I didn’t know.” Ron grumbled.

They sat in sheer silence. There were no words to say. Lupin walked in and went over to them. “I don’t think he’ll come. Tomorrow’s Halloween though, so we’ll be taking extra precautions.” Lupin said.

Harry nodded. Lupin looked at them one last time and left. He felt helpless. He couldn’t help them no matter how hard he tried. The trio went to bed soon after that.

Nightmares haunted Harry’s dreams. He wanted nothing more than a mother’s love and for her to tell him it’d be okay. Harry’s nightmare was about Voldemort, as they always were. He was Voldemort and he was telling his Death Eaters to lie low for now. Harry Potter would be well protected during the holidays. But after that, he was theirs.

He was drenched in a cold sweat. He felt many hands on him. Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, Lupin and most of the boys were there. “Harry, are you okay?” Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. “You look a bit peaky.” Ron said.

“What happened?” Professor McGonagall asked.

“Harry, its okay to tell us.” Lupin said.

“It wasn’t too bad. Voldemort told his Death Eaters that I would be well protected during the holidays and that they could get me after them. But something wasn’t right…” Harry said.

“What wasn’t right?” Dumbledore asked.

“It didn’t seem…” Harry said searching for the right word.

“Right? Perfect? Happy? Different?” Hermione offered.

“No, it didn’t seem real.” Harry said.

“Why?” Lupin muttered.
“Maybe it wasn’t real. Maybe it was a plot to get the defense around Harry to weaken, so that way they can get him.” Ron said.

Everyone looked at him, “Hey. After six crazy years with these two, I’m bound to learn something.” Ron said.

“Well, maybe Potter was a good influence on some people. Harry Potter, Remus. James wasn’t a good influence on anyone or anything.” Professor McGonagall said.

Harry started to feel better. He was safe. “Don’t put this on my doorstep. Ron was always the craziest of us all.” Harry said.

“No, Hermione was. She was the one who said to do the Polyjuice potion! She turned herself into a cat for god’s sake. We didn’t even learn anything about the Chamber of Secrets.” Ron said.

Everyone stared at them. “Opps.” Ron said quietly.

“Ron, I’m going to kill you.” Hermione said.

“What is Ron talking about?” Dumbledore asked.

The trio exchanged glances. They had no excuse. “Hermione, why don’t you tell them what happened?” Harry suggested.

“Why don’t you? You’re the one who thought Malfoy was behind the attacks.” Hermione said.

“Nope. That was Ron.” Harry said.

“Could someone just tell me? We need to get to other things.” Dumbledore said.

“Well. In our second year, there was a series of attacks. Everyone thought that Harry was the heir of Slytherin. We thought after Mrs. Norris was attacked, that Malfoy might be the heir of Slytherin because of something he said…” Ron began.

“I told them that I could brew a potion. We tried it. I turned into a cat and Harry and Ron turned into Malfoy’s goons, I mean friends.” Hermione was saying.

“I haven’t the faintest idea of what they're talking about.” Harry said smiling.

“Oh…” Hermione and Ron said.

“I was wondering why Hermione turned into a cat, why you three did so well on your O.W.L’s on Polyjuice potion and why Harry didn’t seemed surprised when I told him about Polyjuice potion.” Dumbledore said.
“Albus, what are we going to do?” Professor McGonagall asked.

“Nothing. Unless they do something. Goodnight all.” Dumbledore said leaving.

Professor McGonagall left too. Hermione said goodbye and left to go to bed. “Harry are you okay?” Lupin asked.

“Yes.” Harry said.

“Goodnight.” Lupin said and he too left.

Ron went to bed. Harry fell back asleep very quickly.

The morning was bright and cheerful. Ron and Hermione were waiting for him at the end of the stairs. “Happy Halloween.” They said.

Harry greeted them in the same way. They had a quick breakfast before heading down to the library. Malfoy saw them leave and went after them with his friends. “Potter, there’s a dementor!” He said.

“That got old three years ago. You need new material.” Harry said.

“I agree. You’re losing your touch.” Hermione said.

“At least I’m not a filthy little…” Malfoy began.

“Mudblood.” Ron supplied.

“I’d watch out…” Malfoy began.

“Weasel.” Harry supplied.

“Malfoy give it up. We know all of your material.” Hermione said.

“You’ll all die. You know that right? You’ll all die at Voldemort’s feet begging for mercy. You’ll let others die.” Malfoy said.

His friends laughed. “You’ve never met him. He’ll kill you too if you’re not careful!” Harry said.

Malfoy looked at him and they both said, “You chose the losing side!” at the exact same time.

Harry and his friends laughed. Malfoy and his friends retreated. “Why are we going to the library Hermione?” Ron asked.

“I don’t know.” Hermione said looking confused.

“Who cares? Come on let’s go to our classes before anyone else.” Harry said.

They parted. They didn’t see each other until later that evening at dinner. They laughed at the ghosts, ate the wonderful candy and had fun. But Harry himself was like a ghost. Only a hollow shadow. Harry let himself have fun. Tonight, he decided, I’ll have fun. Soon it was time to go to bed. There was no telling how much fear that night would bring for Harry.

It all started with some jokes. They were harmless jokes. As soon as Harry closed his eyes, the terror had begun.

Harry was seeing angry scenes and frighting moments. Harry wanted to wake up, but some magical force was keeping him into the dream. It was mental torture. Close your mind Harry. Close it. A voice said.

Harry tried, but he couldn’t. Fight it. Fight it. The voice said becoming clearer.

Harry opened his eyes and felt sick. He realized who the voice belonged to. It was Dumbledore’s. “Harry. Drink this.” He said giving him a glass of a potion.

Harry drank it. He still felt very sick though. Hermione and Ron were there. “Voldemort’s sick.” He managed to say. “That’s not right to mentally torture someone. It’s just sick.”

“Harry are you alright?” Hermione asked softly.

“No. I feel really sick.” Harry said.

“Harry.” Ron said.

That’s all Ron could say. The trio hugged. Harry was beginning to feel better now. “You guys. I am so glad that you’re my friends.” Harry said.

“I’m not so sure. Harry, you could have gotten me expelled a million times. Would you like a list? First the troll. That was so…” Hermione began.

“That was ages ago. Hey, tonight’s the night we became friends though. True friends. On Halloween. Even though I almost got you expelled, aren’t you glad that I’m your friend?” Harry asked.

“Yep. Although you could have gotten us killed…” Hermione said.

“My mum doesn’t know everything we do. So it’s okay to be your friend. If she found out though… I’d be in so much trouble.” Ron said.

They laughed. They knew how Mrs. Weasley could be. “Harry are you okay?” Dumbledore asked.

“I’m still alive, so I’m not complaining, but this is also the night…” Harry said.

They understood. Halloween was the night Harry’s parents were killed. “Okay. I’ll stay here the night. Miss Granger if you would go back to your dorm…” Dumbledore said.

“Bye you guys. Take care.” Hermione said.

The rest of the night was calm. It was an interesting Halloween. One the trio would never forget, besides when they became friends in their first year.

A/N- No Nicky. Sorry. Hope you liked it. R&R!!