Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Darkest Year Yet by School owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 12
A time for answers

After a while Professor McGonagall cleared out the common room. Harry and Ron were forced to be separated from Hermione and Ginny. The candles were blown out and everyone was lost into darkness.

Harry woke up before anyone else. He got dressed and noticed something on his trunk. It was a note.



Dear Harry,

It seems as if we only met a little while ago. It seems as if it’s cruel that you got to know me and then I am gone. It seems as if days are nights because they are so dark. It seems as if you are a strong person, Harry. I know you are. I am writing this on Christmas night, the night before I leave you. You are wondering how I know my fate, right? Well, remember how I said the first day (night really) that there is a time for questions and a time for answers? This is the time for answers. Show this note to any adult whom you trust and they will tell you everything you need to know.

I am sorry that you got to know me so well and now I am gone. The truth is Harry; you didn’t know the half of me. I will always be with you as long as you remember everything I told you. Do not weep. It will be okay in the end. I will never forget you. You have taught me many things too about life. Goodbye, Harry and May we meet again.

Nicky



Harry let go of the letter at once. He bent down and picked it up. Harry didn’t notice a leather book until he knocked it down. It was Nicky’s father’s book. Harry scanned it and noticed that it was filled with wisdom. He read the first page.



To Nicole Ann Campbell,

Oh, my dearest. If you are reading this I must not be with you. I can just see your future. My dear, you will have many tasks in your life. You will pass and fail. Your mother may not want you to come to the wizarding world, but that is were your future lies. You will not only help America, but the world. Sacrifices must be made. Remember that when someone dies, they are not truly gone, just lost. One day you will find me. I cannot speak of what the future holds, but I can tell you that you will have a quest. Do not fear death, my dear. In the end we all must die. If you fail this quest, the world will crumble and time will erase. Maybe I am being a little dramatic, but you understand. These pages are filled with things that have taken me a lifetime to learn. If you ever have second thoughts or need to think, come to this book. I love you my dearest and I always will no matter what.

Your dearest Daddy.


The pages were filled with cramped handwriting and sayings. Harry almost ran down the stairs to see someone about this. Harry knocked on Lupin’s door. Lupin answered. “Harry, what is it?” He asked.

“This,” Harry said giving the note to him.

Lupin smiled as he was reading. “Come in Harry,” He said letting him in.

“What does she mean?” Harry asked.

“Nicky’s father was a wizard as you know. He was pureblood, so it was a shock when he married a muggle. Nicky’s father was a Seer. It is said that Nicky got the gift herself. The school that she went to focused in on Divination and occlumency. Nicky was also able to commutate to Lisa Long anytime without even having to say anything. It was a telepathic sort of thing. Nicky was quite magical. No one really knows how she survived against Snape. Nicky came to Hogwarts on a mission, that mission was to protect you form Voldemort. Harry, you are the only one who can stop Voldemort. Nicky knew this and saw her own death. This was a risk she was willing to take. If all else failed, you would succeed. You are the only hope of the wizarding world’s survival. Times will get darker. Nicky saw into your future, but refused to tell us your fate. She said that we would know soon enough. Harry, Nicky did this for all wizards and muggles.” Lupin said.

“Nicky was an odd person. What does it mean, May we meet again?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know. Death reunites us all, but she wouldn’t have meant it like that,” Lupin said thoughtfully.

“What does; I will always be with you as long as you remember everything I taught you, mean?” Harry asked.

“I guess that whatever she told you will come in handy one day. I cannot understand until the end,” Lupin said.

“How can you not fear death?” Harry asked.

“Is that what you fear?” Lupin asked looking at him.

“Yes and no. I do fear death for the outcome, but I don’t because my life will have ended and I will be at peace,” Harry said.

“Do you really want life to end?” Lupin asked quietly.

“No! If I had a choice, I would be a normal sixteen year old with parents and no worries. I would have a reason to live then. Now it seems as if death would be blissful,” Harry said.

Lupin looked at him hardly. He face softened a bit as he thought. “I want you not to think like that. Yet, after what you have been through I see your point. Death would be a new adventure and it would hold no pain,” Lupin said.

“Hmm…” Harry said thinking.

“You wouldn’t want to leave your friends behind though. That includes me,” Lupin said smiling.

“Of course not, it’s just I feel like my life is a book. Before things can get better, they have to get a whole lot worse. Every new chapter is filled with laugher and tears. In the end of it, I hope for ‘And he lived happily ever after’. I don’t think that’s how it’ll end,” Harry said.

“Yes, I suppose so. Think about Nicky and her father’s wisdom. Maybe they can help you more than I can. Goodbye,” Lupin said.

“Thanks Professor, ‘Bye,” Harry said running out the door and into the common room.

“Where were you?” Ron asked.

Harry explained everything. “So, that’s that,” Hermione said.

“I guess it is,” Harry said.

The year was calm after that. No more deaths and no more pain. There is a time when all stories end. Nicky’s story ended after that. What did Nicky mean in her last letter? Could she really know something that will affect man-kind? We may never know, for this is the end.


A/N- It’s been a blast writing this story. It had to end sometime. I will not leave you hanging though. I will write a sequel- The Darkest Year EVER. Look for it soon, for now ponder on these questions. May we meet again.

EDIT: Sadly, we will not met again. Mugglenet is getting stricter on their rules and I can't stay logged in long enough to fix my problems. I also am very busy with my school work and my web site. I am so sorry. If you want a summary of what happens, feel free to e-mail me. Once more, sorry!

~School owl