Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Darkest Year Yet by School owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 4
Back to Hogwarts

“Professor, how will we get to Hogwarts?” Hermione asked.

“Well Hermione. We would use Floo powder, if the network wasn’t being watched. I think that we will probably have the knight bus drop us off at Hogsmeade.” Dumbledore said.

“Who is going with us?” Ron asked.

“You four of course, Professor McGonagall, Professor Snape, Remus, I think Hagrid, Professor Moody, Molly, Arthur, and myself. Others may drop in occasionally.” Dumbledore said, “But only Molly, Professor Moody, Tonks and Remus will be going with us.”

“Now is everyone ready?” Molly asked.

“Mum, I can’t find my wand.” Ginny said.

“Ginny. Did you not watch the Triwizard tournament? Accio wand!” Ron said.

The thin frail wand zoomed around the corners and landed right in front of Ron. He handed it to Ginny. “Now is everyone ready? Wait.” Molly said, “Where’s Mad-eye?”

Everyone sighed. Would they ever get to Hogwarts? “I’ll look for him.” Harry volunteered.

“Alright. Go quickly now Harry so we can leave.” Molly said.

Harry had a hunch that Moody was upstairs. He opened the door to one room and a stunning spell hit him. Harry fell to the floor. Moody opened it and swore. “Potter.” He said slapping Harry’s face.

“What... Professor?” Harry said as he was waking him up.

“Sorry Harry. I was just a little paranoid. Are we leaving?” Moody asked.

Harry nodded and Moody helped him to his feet. “Come on then.” Moody said and they walked down the steps.

“Well, now that everyone has joined us we can go now.” Molly said her voice sharp.

Dumbledore flagged down the knight bus and paid everyone’s toll. They got their trunks on the bus and sat down on their beds. The bus swerved and tipped and turned. Finally they got to Hogsmeade. Remus made their trunks fly. The entire town was dark and foggy.

A voice snapped into Harry’s mind. It was a voice that took away his godfather’s life. Harry automatically took out his wand. The order moved in front of the kids, hiding them from the death eaters. “Now, you know what the dark lord says. We screwed up on Snape, so let’s do some good. Remember get Potter, kill the others.” Malfoy’s father said through the fog.

When the death eaters emerged from the fog, Harry could see that there wasn’t too many of them, only about ten. Harry had a thought that he shared with his friends. They agreed to do it. Harry emerged from the protective shield. The adults cried for him to come back.
“Hello.” Harry said in a cheery voice.

“Well, hello Potter.” Malfoy said, “Giving up?”

“I’ll make a deal. You take me and my friends and the adults, go free without any harm done to them.” Harry said.

Harry had one hand behind his back and while the death eaters were talking he made a signal. “Okay Potter. We’ll make that deal.” Bellatrix said.

“Nope, sorry I’ve reconsidered. NOW!” Harry yelled to his friends.

A mix of hexes and curses flew through the air hitting the death eaters. They were shocked. They thought it was going to be easy to kidnap Harry and kill his friends. The order picked up on it and followed. Soon the death eaters fled.

After they did so, Remus Lupin pulled Harry aside. “Harry! What were you thinking? Don’t ever do that again. If you do you will be in so much trouble…” Lupin started.

Although Harry cut him off, “Professor everyone is safe and we are all alive. That’s all that matters. I can tell that you aren’t telling me everything.” Harry said.

“You’re just like your father. He could tell when I wasn’t saying everything. I… I… you see Harry, I have now lost all of my best friends; James, Sirius, Lily and Peter. Yes, Peter too, because he has gone to the dark side and isn’t coming back. You are so much like your father. I would die if you did, Harry. You’re all I have left.” Remus said.

A tear fell from Remus eye and Harry said, “Remus. Don’t worry. I will not, no, cannot die. I do not fear for myself, I fear for those around me. I have faced Voldemort many times now. I know how he fights. Those who have never faced him, I fear will not make it.”

Remus was silenced after what Harry said. Dumbledore came over to where Harry and Remus were and spoke, “Remus. I will not let anything happen to Harry, as long as he listens to me.” He stopped and looked at Harry. “Harry, I will not let anything happen to the others. I know that you both are still grieving and you both have said some things that you may not have meant. I will not stop you from grieving, but I ask of you both to pull yourselves together. This year is going to be a long one.”

After making sure everyone was alright the order and kids headed out to Hogwarts. There they were met by Professor McGonagall, Hagrid, and Professor Snape. “Well, hello everyone.” Professor McGonagall said in a cheerful voice, “Did you get here okay?”

Dumbledore shook his head and said, “I’ll tell you about it later.”

“Hello Harry, Ron, Ginny, Hermione! I haven’t seen ya in a while.” Hagrid said.

Snape just stood there with an unpleasant look on his face. They all went inside to a warm lighted hallway; all except Harry and Snape. Harry moved towards Snape and asked, “How are you, Professor?”

Snape, who had been shocked with the kindness said, “Fine, Potter. Why should you care?”

“I care because you are a person. You shouldn’t be hurt even if we don’t get along. I am sorry for any trouble I may have caused you.” Harry said and he began to go inside.

All of a sudden Harry fell to the floor. His scar seared with white hot pain. Snape dropped beside him. “Potter. Potter can you hear me? DUMBLEDORE!” Snape yelled with fear.

In an instant Dumbledore was beside him. “Harry.” He said.

“Molly, get…” Dumbledore started.

“Voldemort… going to kill.” Harry said oddly.

“Who is he going to kill?” Dumbledore asked.

“Why all of you,” Came a sharp cold response.

Voldemort was outside in the dark… with them. “Is poor Harry weak?” He said.

“I can take away the pain…” He said smiling.

Molly got the kids inside. The only people outside were Harry, Snape and Dumbledore. “I see with my own eyes that Snape you are not faithful. You know the consequences for this. AVAD…”

“EXPELLIARMUS!” Harry shouted jumping from the ground.

The wand flew out of Voldemort’s hand and Harry caught it. Amazed Voldemort turned around. “Harry. You hate this man! He was mean to you. He let Sirius die.” He said.

Harry felt a chill go down his back. Voldemort had him; he knew how to make Harry angry. Dumbledore waited for Harry’s reaction. “No.” Harry said shakily, “No.” He repeated. “He did not, but you did. I should break this wand for all the evil it has done. I won’t though.” And Harry did something that shocked Snape, Dumbledore and Voldemort.

Harry tossed back the wand. Voldemort caught it. “Harry… why? I… I killed your parents, Sirius, Cedric! Does that not bother you?”

“Yes. It bothers me very much. You ask why, I’ll tell you why. You deserve a chance. I deserve a chance. I will say that I am very, very angry with you. I will not hurt you if you do not hurt me or the others.” Harry said.

“I… I” Voldemort started, and then he fled.

Harry turned around to see Dumbledore smiling. “Harry. That was quite brave of you. You should him something he has not seen before, love. How did you know that he would not harm you once you gave him his wand?”

“I didn’t. I just assumed that if I knew Voldemort, like he knows me then it would be okay.” Harry said, “Professor Snape are you okay?”

“Yes, Potter.” He said and sweep past him into the dungeons.

Harry and Dumbledore went into the castle and Harry said, “The term hasn’t started yet and I have seen the death eaters and Voldemort twice.”

“Yes, you will see more of them through the year.” Dumbledore said.

Molly was waiting for Harry and Dumbledore. “Harry!” She said, “Are you alright?”

She didn’t wait for an answer, she just hugged him. “Harry you are cold. Come inside and I can fix you a cup of tea.”

“No, that’s okay. I’ll just go see the others. Where are they?” Harry asked.

“In the Gryffindor tower. The password is Crookshanks.” Molly said, “Hermione picked the password.”

“Thanks.” Harry said and he walked up to the painting and said the password. There he found Ron, Ginny and Hermione waiting for him. They began to chat amongst themselves. “You guys said that I could talk to you, right?” Harry said.

“Of course Harry.” Hermione said.

“I just can’t take it anymore.” Harry said.

“Take what?” Ron said.

“The fact that everyone I care for is dead except a few. I wonder who will be next, will it be Ron? Remus? Hermione? Ginny? Molly? Any of the others? I just can’t take it!” Harry said.

Harry felt the tears coming before they came. He just cried and cried. His friends comforted him. In the end he said, “I’m sorry for crying. I just can’t stand being me anymore.”

“It’s okay. You never cried before. Even when the people that you knew and liked died. We knew that you wouldn’t be able to take it any longer. It’s human to cry and you are human.” Ginny said.

“Thanks you guys. I really mean it. I’m so sorry for acting the way I did last year.” Harry said.

“IT’S OKAY!” They all yelled.

Harry laughed. They went to bed after that. Harry fell into an odd dream where he was angry. Very angry because something happened. He soon saw a gathering of death eaters and he was yelling about something. Harry soon realized that he was seeing what Voldemort was seeing. Harry closed out his mind as fast as he could using the things Snape had taught him (if Snape taught him anything).

Harry woke up and found Ron standing over him. “Did you have one of those dreams Harry?” He asked quietly.

Harry nodded. “Should I get Dumbledore?” Ron asked.

Harry shook his head no, but said, “We should at least tell Hermione.”

They trooped up to the girls dormitory and knocked softly. “Hermione?” Ron asked.

The door swung open and a girl with her hair braided in pig tails answered, “What? Do you two know what time it is?” Hermione hissed.

“Yeah. We just thought we would tell you Harry had one of those dreams and we wanted to talk to you about it.” Ron said.

“Oh.” She said, “Let’s go to the common room then.”

They all trooped down the stairs quietly. The fire was light and they took their normal seats. “What happened? You didn’t tell me?” Ron said.

“I had a feeling of anger and then I saw a group of death eaters kneeling by me.” Harry said.

“Great. Now you want me to be like Trelawney to tell you what your dreams mean. Well, Harry. It looks like people born at the end of July will die a painful death.” Hermione said.

Harry and Ron sniggered. “Was there anything else?” Hermione said.

“Well, yeah. I think Voldemort knew I was in his mind so I used what Snape taught me last year. I got out okay and then Ron woke me up.” Harry said.

“Did you tell Dumbledore?” Hermione asked.

“Did you tell Dumbledore what?” Remus’ voice said, coming from the door.

“Umm…” Ron said.

“Tell him that… that…” Harry said.

“Tell him that we had just woken up and are very sorry and that we’re going to bed, right now.” Hermione said.

They all got up and Lupin said, “Come on you guys. I know you three better than that.”

It felt like it was their first year, when they beat the troll. Hermione lied to get them out of that one. Maybe she could do it again. Ron and Harry looked at her. “What?” She said under her breath.

“Help us. You’re good at lying.” Ron whispered back.

“I’m waiting.” Lupin said, Harry thought he heard everything.

“Professor. I had a dream and…” Harry began.

“We were talking about it and thinking what we could do…” Ron said.

“When you came in.” Hermione finished.

Lupin chuckled. “I knew only one other group of friends that could finish each others sentences. That was my friends.” He said.

“Well Professor, what are you going to do?” Harry said.

“Oh yes. Tell of this dream.” Lupin said.

Harry told him of it and Lupin got up quickly. “Stay here. Wake up Ginny and don’t leave the common room. I’m going to find Dumbledore.” He said.

Hermione woke up Ginny and filled her in on what happened. They stayed in the room until the sun peaked over the mountains. “Where are they?” Ginny asked, “We’ve been sitting here over like two hours.”

“I am not sure.” Ron said sleepily.

Hermione was asleep on a chair. Harry got up and said, “I’m going to look for them. If it has been two hours, then something happened.”

Hermione woke up. “No way am I going to stop you. I just ask that you take me and Ron along and that we wear the invisibility cloak.”

“Alright.” Harry said.

Ginny looked bewildered, “What about me?”

“You’re not going with us.” Ron said.

“But…” She began.

“No ‘buts’. You are way too young.” Ron said in a brotherly way.

“I am one year…” She began.

“Don’t start. You tried that last year and look what happened. You’re staying here.” Harry said.
“Bye.” Hermione said as they slipped the cloak over them.

They walked along the halls and they didn’t see anyone or anything. They arrived at the headmaster’s quarters. “Professor?” Harry called out.

A voice at their side made them jump. “Hello you three.” It said as it pulled off the cloak.

It was Dumbledore. “What are you doing out of your beds so early?”

“Harry had a dream and…” They began and they told their story.

“So, have you seen him?” Ron asked.

“No.” Dumbledore said and frowned.

“Oh no!” Hermione gasped as she looked around a corner.

“What?” Harry asked.

They all ran over to where Hermione was, in front of her was Lupin. And he wasn’t moving.

‘Welcome back to Hogwarts… the terror is just beginning.’ a note said. The note was right… the terror was just beginning.

A/N- Please review! Please review! Please review! Please review! Did I say…. Please review!!!!!

Thanks. I hope you like the story so far!!

Please review!